Cyprichromis leptosoma

Discussion in 'Great Rift Valley Cichlids' started by Rocky, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Rocky

Rocky Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Thanks! I really can't take the credit!

If we could breed an orange morph of Neolamprologus brichardi/pulcher, that would be a freshwater anthias!

2. Rocky

Rocky Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
  3. shihr

shihr Administrator Staff Member

• Super Admin
    23%
    do they need hard water?

4. Jack Stone

Jack Stone Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    53%
    Howzit,

They do need hard water - Lake Tanganyika is like liquid rock (plenty calcium, magnesium and a long list of trace elements), more complex and extreme water parameters than what Lake Malawi has.

Fortunately fish adapt and I don't do anything special to my water here in Cape Town. I would strongly suggest that nobody keep any Tanganyika cichlids in the low pH and hardness levels of planted aquariums. Tanganyika and Malawi cichlids enjoy extremely stable parameters in the Great Rift Lakes. The amount of light would probably freak them out too.

I would really love to know if somebody can pull off a nice planted aquarium with water parameters suitable for Tanganyika cichlids. I'm not sure if the plant selection is limited by my knowledge or the water parameters but depending on your fish selection you may also have to protect against digging and fish trying to move plants that are in the way of their home renovation plans. You won't have any such problems in a Cyprichromis species only tank, they have adapted to spawn in open water and are maternal mouth-brooders like most Lake Malawi cichlids.

Just shout if you want any more information...
    Space for a new tank? Hahah!

5. sarf

sarf Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    easily one of the coolest fish I have kept..i had the leptosome kitumba which are stunning fish and are easy to breed...if I had space for another tank I would definitely get a group of leptosome again...Jack..keep up the good work..nice to see someone bringing in nice cyprichromis

6. shihr

• Super Admin
    23%
    i would try some anubia and java ferns to try. there are some plants that dont mind hard water. what GH pH and KH levels are we talking abt here?

7. Jack Stone

• APSA Member
    53%
    Shihr - parameters do vary by area, depth and season, a middle ground here would be the ideal for a Tanganyika tank.

pH: 7.6 to 9.0
    KH: 14 to 20
    GH: 12 to 18

Anubia and java fern are the obvious solutions, people use Vallis and Java moss as well but that's about all I know of.

Any ideas?

Sarf - Shot man! I am very chuffed having seen a few species for the first time and can't wait to see more.
    Unfortunately you'll have to wait for Kitumba but they should become available sometime.

8. shihr

• Super Admin
    23%
    sho, those parameters are hectically high! im not sure hey. i struggle to grow things above 6kh hardness :p

9. Jack Stone

• APSA Member
    53%
    Howzit,

Liquid rock I tell you... guess we're stuck with Anubias and Java fern?
    I would like to try a Tanganyika tank with that planted HOB design, any plants that might work like that? Aside from the Anubias and Java Fern again....

I reckon most Tangs won't be the least bit bothered by 6kh as long as the pH stays at least 7.high and stable, and you've got a bit of GH going.

I'm probably way too paranoid about all the invisible crap released into the water by your average planted substrate. Balancing that with CO2, strong lighting and lots of plants I'm too scared I suck the oxygen out of the room at night and end up with a bunch Tanganyika cichlids who USED to enjoy high oxygen levels, this only after ensuring the nutrient levels and low or fluctuating pH doesn't kill them first.

Maybe you lot that actually understand what happens in a planted tank will know better?