Light for monte carlo

Discussion in 'Planted Tank Equipment' started by Joebanjo, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Joebanjo

Joebanjo Noob

• APSA Member
    65%
    Hi guy's need some advice still new to scraping. Got 280 L tank,1. 2 long /600 wide/ 400 high, adding CO2 drop Hecker is green,[3 bubbles per second] dosing seachem flourish and potassium twice a week. Root tabs osmocote and running a beamswork fullspec ea120 450mm above my plants. pH 6.5 water temp 26. Sadly my monte carlo just keeps melting till its gone. Replanted twice with no success. What am I doing wrong. Not enough light for MC.? Thanks.

2. Ivan

Ivan Valued Contributor

• APSA Member
    77%
    Hi. @Joebanjo

Please give specs on the light. How long are you running the light? Spectrum? But put the LED around 15cm above water level and see if you have better results? But if the the light wasn't enough the MC will grow lengthy and upwards. For it to melt it sure is not happy with something. Have you tried to dose SCAPE complete? It has all the nutrients plants need. How is the other plants doing? Do you add dechlor to your water when doing a water change?

Just trying to figure out the specs then we can see why your MC is melting, as MC is very hardy.

3. Joebanjo

Joebanjo Noob

• APSA Member
    65%
    Hi Ivan thanks much appreciated. Be honest never bother using dechlor because using borehole water. Copy and past specs found on my LED as follow.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    "BEAM004","variation_description":"
    Fixture size:\u00a047.5 – 55 x 5.2 x 1 inches (120 – 140 x\u00a013.21 x\u00a02.54cm)
    \nLEDs: 54 x 0.50W (2500 lumen)
    \nLED Configuration: 37x 10000K, 9x Actinic 460nm, 4x Red 620nm, 4x Green 520nm
    • EA120
    [​IMG]
    Fast Deliv

Description
    The BeamsWork Freshwater Full Spectrum (FSPEC) LED fixture provides a high quality, energy efficient light fixture that replaces the typical single tube fluorescent light. The fixture is pre-installed with 10000K, Blue 460nm, Red 620nm, and Green 520nm spectrum LEDs. The Beamworks LED is a sleek and contemporary light fixture that will make any other aquarium light look boring. Long lasting LEDs with no bulb replacement required. Extendable brackets allows fixture to adjust to different lengths. Two mode operation allows full power during the day and moonlight mode during the night. Each fixture is pre-wired to be used with an optional timer module (sold separately).

• Full spectrum light (10 000k, blue, red and green)
    • Easy installation and minimal maintenance
    • Two-Mode operation: Full power or Moonlight
    • Extendable brackets for an easy fit
    • Premium, sleek construction
    • Energy Efficient and Cool operation
    Select a model to see sizing and LED configuration
    If the light is fine I tick that off and look for the next possible cause.
    Thanks.

upload_2020-1-22_10-26-13.gif

upload_2020-1-22_10-26-13.gif

4. Joebanjo

Joebanjo Noob

• APSA Member
    65%
    Sorry yes light is on for around 8 hours and I use to use scape complete but moved to seachem flourish and potassium after reading a few posts saying MC needs a lot of potassium. Thanks.

5. Ivan

Ivan Valued Contributor

• APSA Member
    77%
    Okay so I think you might have to test your borehole water. Just so we might have parameters of it.
    So far it seems to me that the light intensity might be an issue. So i would suggest lowering the light to 10cm above the water level and run it for a few weeks and see if the MC has growth. Yes it likes potassium, but then its easier to add Scape and potassium if you see a deficiency in the growth.
    I am only using Scape complete and never had issues with MC growth.

Joebanjo likes this.
  6. Joebanjo

Joebanjo Noob

• APSA Member
    65%
    Thanks Ivan, will do test drop the LED lower and see how it goes. Will let you know how it goes.

Much appreciated.

Ivan likes this.
  7. Joebanjo

Joebanjo Noob

• APSA Member
    65%
    OK Ivan think I got something. I have noticed that even though my LED is set to go on at 1 and of at 9 in the evenings giving me 8 hours some of my plans still opened there leaves at sunrise and close around 6 sunset. They didn't seem to follow my timer. I have managed to lower the LED by about 14 cm as close as I can earlier today and have noticed this evening all my plants are still open long after sunset. Hope that's a good sign.

Ivan likes this.