Will discus fry eat cyclops?

Discussion in 'Discus' started by smallfry, May 13, 2008.

1. smallfry

smallfry Noob

• APSA Member
    80%
    Hi Guys. :sunny:

I just descovered that the very small (0.3mm) white thingemegafters that look like and move like miniture crayfish in my tank are called Cyclops. What does this tell me about my water? I think the Cyclops started to apear after adding plant fertilizer called EASY-LIFE ProFito. Acording to the label it is a multiple stabilized fertilizer and contains no nitrates ot phosphates.It does contain iron,potassium,manganese and many other vital nutrients.

1.If I should be so luky to get discus fry will they eat them?
    2.Will adding this to my water affect the discus in any way?

The discus I got from you Roland are still doing great! :yes

2. morpheus

morpheus Noob

• APSA Member
    80%
    Cyclops would not have come in the plant additive. I think you should look elsewhere for the source. Cyclops are a food source like Daphnia the problem with them is that they are very fast movers, a lot faster than your Discus.

Some info on cyclops;

Cyclops can also be intermediary hosts to the Guinea worm (which affects humans, but not generally fish) and fish tapeworm. These are rare occurrences for the Cyclops, and many aquarists consider them valuable as a fish food and even sell them. I would not be overly concerned with them for most aquariums as long as good aquarium cleaning methods, such as vacuuming are practiced. The exception would probably be with fish breeding. In this case, vacuuming gravel and rinsing off live plants in a mild bleach solution (live plants can handle a 25/1 solution provided it is rinsed off) would be in order. Keep in mind that these copepods do not like areas of high current and do like a lot of algae, so changing these conditions would go a long way in controlling Cyclops.

3. Dirk B

Dirk B Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    73%
    Smallfry,

Cyclops are not good for any fry, and will damage them and cause their death. If you intend breeding discus in that tank, you are going to have to get rid of them. In frozen form, (and therefore obviously dead), they are quite good food for smaller fishes, but their nutritive value is not nearly as high as freshly hatched bs, which is essential for small discus as a first food after the body slime of their parents.

Kind regards,

Dirk

4. Rowland

Rowland Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Hi smallfry

Great to hear that!!

5. smallfry

smallfry Noob

• APSA Member
    80%
    Hi guys.

Thanx for your reply's.I realize the Cyclops did not come in the fertilizer. What I tried to say was that I think the fertilizer provided the right nutrients for them to thrive and suddenly multiply?The 4 smaller Black Phantoms enjoy hunting and eating them. The Discus seems oblivious to their existance.

Any ideas on how to get ridd of the little buggers?