Wild Discus

Discussion in 'Discus' started by Mastermamo, Oct 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ricardinho

ricardinho Noob

• APSA Member
    55%
    +1

2. Mastermamo

Mastermamo Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Larch. I am afraid that I am not prepared to divulge my sources in both Asia and Europe until I tie up an exclusivity contract. I hope you understand. You can call me Mo

3. Slagter

Slagter Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    • Sponsor
    73%
    Mo, I HAVE to ask you this one question: Do you have the permit to actually SELL the livestock?

An import permit is well and good if the fish are for your own collection, but you need to have a permit, just like a pet store, to actually sell the fish.

I'm just asking, as nobody has mentioned this as of yet.

I can find out exactly what you need, if you don't already have the permit.

4. larch

larch Green fingers

• APSA Member
    66%

5. Slagter

Slagter Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    • Sponsor
    73%

6. JP01

JP01 Moderator Staff Member

• Global moderator
    73%
    Guys let's cool things down a bit we do not want a repeat of the last thread that got out of hand.

7. Mastermamo

• APSA Member
    40%

8. marco1

marco1 Noob

• APSA Member
    55%
    Mastermamo,

Thank you for your reply.

Firstly - the mere fact that your description of the process was ill described, as I already indicated - points towards a simple misunderstanding and misrepresentation of the process.
    But hey - you are right - I dont know you, so Im sure some breeder went through his hatchery hand-picking "a grade fish" for you if you say so.My comments were made in ignorance.

You ask lots of "why" questions which I actually already answered.
    Attaching "labels" to fish and then charging high prices for them on the basis of these claims is a well-known trick. If you cant see the unethical practise in this, well sir - then I cant help you.
    You say you have not stated certain things which automatically disqualifies you from "conning" people - but you are wrong! You have stated that these fish -
    Were imported by you,
    Were hand selected by the breeder,
    And you labelled them A grade "premium" discus.

Now in simple truth, if any of the above is untrue, it would mean you are conning people. Sure enough theres no proof, hence me expressing my doubts and my concerns, and not accusing you of lying and directly calling you out as a liar.

Finally - in Discus there is a common grading system. Some breeders resort to a grading system where top discus are graded as "AAA" and others as "A" grade. Effectively when using triple digit grading, a is equal to c grade in one digit grading. Sure you get what i mean.
    Now in calling them "a grade premium" discus, I as a hobbyist would expect top quality fish. Good round shape, good colour development, perfect gill plates, and lastly good growth.
    Good growth is the opposite of stunting. This is easily measured by the discus eye having to fit from top of head to bottom, 7 times.

Heres your a grade fish.
    All the best with the 7 x test....
    Id contact the breeder and complain.
    Now - some uninformed hobbyist will buy that fish expecting great things - pay top money for it and later label discus as crap, when in fact its a false dilemma he finds himself in - and THAT is what grinds me.

I apologise for yet another novel - but my passion for discus is not born from ego, money or misrepresentation - Id do all I can to protect its integrity.
    You indicated that my sole reason for my comments are to incite prejudice against you and/or your dealings, but dear Sir, you do not know me-and thus mistook my concern for the hobby getting another beating as a personal attack on you. Its nof the case. I do not import and supply fish and thus are not "threatened" by you doing so. I thus do not suffer if you do.
    [​IMG]

Rgds

Marco

9. Mastermamo

• APSA Member
    40%
    Good question Slagter. Can u tell me why this question hasn't been asked to others who are selling discus. Can you tell me how many of them have a license.
    To answer your question, I have covered all legalities to safeguard myself.

10. Mastermamo

• APSA Member
    40%
    Dear Marco

If I am buying A grade fish and being guaranteed by the breeder of this then I relay it to my clients. Is this, in your opinion constituting a lie? If the breeder says he has hand selected the fish does it mean I am conning those I relay this info to?

It seems you feel I want to lie to clients to make a quick buck. I assure you "my good man", money is not of great importance to me. I am doing this out of passion as most who know me well with attest to.

What's really strange is that a few weeks ago someone else also "imported" fish and advertised them here with Google pics yet not one person made a commotion. These fish looked nothing like the advertised pics yet it was very very quiet here. No noise whatsoever.

So dear Marco thank you again for your concern. I thank you for being so vocal about all things discus. And good luck to you sir. I would love to sit across you and have a REAL chat about this. Lets set this up over lunch. I will pm my mobile number to you.

And for your info, if you read carefully, I stated that the fish in the pic u posted went into my QT which should tell u it wasn't brought in as an A grade for sale as those fish were not mixed with others. This fish was for my tank because I simply liked his look for myself.

[​IMG]

All the best

M

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  11. Slagter

Slagter Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    • Sponsor
    73%
    I was merely asking the question. It is a valid question, and I'm not attacking you at all. You don't need to get defensive.

I'm glad you have the permits. It was out of concern that I asked the question. I'm not trying to be an ass, I just want to make sure you're protected by the law.

It's none of my business really, but if you get inspected by cape nature, you'd be in trouble without the right paperwork being in place.

Concerned, not condemning.

I have no idea if the other guys have permits or not. If they don't, they could get into trouble.

12. Slagter

Slagter Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    • Sponsor
    73%
    One more thing, I only found out about the permit requirements last week at the SAPTA AGM. I was speaking to some guys on the board and the topic came up. So it probably wasn't asked by me because I only found out about it a week ago.

13. Mastermamo

• APSA Member
    40%
    Slagter my apologies. Only saw I typed your name as Leech ooops I meant Larch lol after I posted but I corrected this.
    I appreciate your concern. As I have mentioned I have legally covered myself.

M

14. JP01

JP01 Moderator Staff Member

• Global moderator
    73%
    Re: Re: Wild Discus

15. larch

larch Green fingers

• APSA Member
    66%

16. Mastermamo

• APSA Member
    40%

17. Vis

Vis Plant menace

• APSA Member
    77%
    Wow really guys?

I have this fish with pic, I tell what it is and the price. Either you believe me and pay the price or you don't.

AAA grade discus cared for poorly still ends up being an ugly useless thing.

18. Firefly

Firefly Green fingers

• APSA Member
    9%
    So these aren't wild discus as the title says then, but tank bred?

19. Mastermamo

• APSA Member
    40%
    They are caught wild. Not tank bred.

20. marco1

marco1 Noob

• APSA Member
    55%
    Mastermamo -
    Firstly-you do not wish to divulge the name of the breeder. Thats perfect and nothing wrong with that - its your prerogative. However, you must realise that informing clients that these fish are "hand picked a grade" YOU supply the guarantee that this is in fact the case. Without knowing the breeder, as a buyer of these fish who am I suppose to hold accountable if they are not? Or is it a ¨tough luck¨ type scenario - and the buck gets passed?

Fair enough - you did say the fish is from QT. What about the ¨super eruption¨? Is that a grade? Im asking YOU, my good man - as you are the one claiming it to be, not the breeder.
    Ill help you out-its not. Its stunted. It has no spotting in the face area as a super should have, and thus that is a mere Leopard snakeskin. Does it matter? Well yes! An eruption has a much heftier price TAG than a LSS.
    Heres the reply i expect - "this fish is still young and will fill in colour wise. It has not been fed colour enhancing foods either" - I know that reply well.

As to the wild in the start of this thread - its a brown. If its an adolescent green it should look similar to this. Albeit this being a fine F1 specimen-with very good colour coverage[​IMG]

As to the fish being advertised here with google images-i cant comment. I dont know the thread and was not a member then i suppose.

Unfortunately I cant do lunch - im in Pta, bit far for lunch....

Anyhow M, Im sure by now you tired of me. In different circumstances Im sure we would laugh abt this. You will question my hair splitting and I question your motives. At the end of all this dude-you are the one having to live with it, not me.

I honestly wish you all the best in your discus adventure

Rgds

Marco

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.