Wild Discus

Discussion in 'Discus' started by Mastermamo, Oct 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. larch

larch Green fingers

• APSA Member
    66%
    Fair enough :) Would you take us some pictures next time you pick them up from the importers? It would be interesting to see the processes when it comes to importing fish.

2. Mastermamo

Mastermamo Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Yes certainly I will do that for you

3. Luis Embalo

Luis Embalo Valued Contributor

• APSA Member
    23%
    Interesting thread.. :)

There is a difference between sharing what one knows and giving the business secret away.. If Mo took the time to establish a relationship with the suppliers and the fish are good, he would be a bit slow on the head for sharing where he got them from, right? :)

4. Mastermamo

• APSA Member
    40%
    +1 TOTALLY AGREED

5. Kryo

Kryo Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    True, however on a personal level I'd like to know the name simply so that I know that I am actually buying what I want and quality. I personally have absolutely no wish to import although I can get permits in a heartbeat.

Here's an example, for those who have done reefing before if I said I have imported ORA Picasso clowns they will already know what they are getting, if I said I have Bali clowns they will then ask me the same questions I am asking above.

It's like me saying I have discus from Heiko... See my point?

But in any case it's not an issue I will loose sleep over, I love physically choosing my fish as I love to see their personalities before I buy. I don't want to buy a fish from a photo that might need "therapy" before I can put it in my tank.

6. LIAQUAT

LIAQUAT Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    53%
    It seems there is some confusion ,and I have been tagged ?
    If I had to offer Wild Discus, it would be FROM ME ,not My wholesale outlet

Mamo...If you don't mind me asking, or reply to those questions you're comfortable with

Are you importing these independently, Or getting them from a wholesaler?
    Sounds like you going direct ... Please correct me if I am wrong.
    What else can you divulge at this stage?
    How long is this window of opportunity open?

In any case, I would be patient, it isn't easy to get Wild Discus in, from ANYWHERE... These things are never straightforward.
    At various times WHEN nobody else wants to pay a fair asking price to make the whole exercise worth the effort.
    Or when I am not ready for them, an exporter has very tempting offers. :BangHead:

The pic looks EXACTLY like the typical adolescent good ol' Wild Green, tan-beige with a yellow to khaki tone.
    If they are like one of the types of Green Discus I have had a few times before
    Expect them to blossom into pleasant looking, TOUGH fish.
    I don't expect them to turn out to be Graded, High end, Collectors' items like Peruvian Red Spotted or Royal Green
    Who knows,what eventual development will reveal ...Plain vs Spots vs Stripes !?!?
    I'm ok with them staying PLAIN 8)

I for one would grab 5-6, if I can afford them.
    Please PM me an estimate, and terms

PS ;D ... if you don't come right , or wish to choose a different source, now or later.. I may be of some help.

7. Mastermamo

• APSA Member
    40%
    @ Kryo

I don't sell from suppliers pics. I sell from fish I have already brought in which u r free to come see. But since u r in Jhb I don't think it would suit you

8. Mastermamo

• APSA Member
    40%
    Mamo...If you don't mind me asking, or reply to those questions you're comfortable with

Are you importing these independently, Or getting them from a wholesaler?
    Sounds like you going direct ... Please correct me if I am wrong.
    What else can you divulge at this stage?
    How long is this window of opportunity open?

Dear Liyaqat

1. I'm going direct
    2. Can't divulge much more at this stage
    3. Windows open until stock is sold and then window reopens on arrival of new stock

Will pm you more details

9. Kryo

Kryo Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    Misunderstood me Mo. You're a supplier now right? Thus me saying "supplier" pics.

Now take a deep breathe and relax. I get the feeling you feel frazzled by all these types of questions. Don't be! :happy7:

10. marco1

marco1 Noob

• APSA Member
    55%
    A few things here makes no sense -

First theres talk of "Wild caught fish" and then "breeder"?
    Talk of Large fish and then adolescent comparison? (to a brown discus I maintain)
    Import via Europe and then Direct, not wholesaler? But....direct would be from South america not? If via Europe its via wholesaler?

Not that it matters. Been through this type of 'talk' before - I know the source, as Im sure others do.

11. Mastermamo

• APSA Member
    40%
    No I'm far from frazzled. I welcome all the questions I see here. I will do my best to answer as many as I can

12. Mastermamo

• APSA Member
    40%

13. marco1

marco1 Noob

• APSA Member
    55%
    Mastermamo - Lets not get into this discussion. Ive been around for long enough to understand the social-media in SA.
    In general, you will find immense all-round negativity surrounding tropical fish traders, moreso where discus are involved. This stems mainly from lots of "bs" around the dealings, false promises and poor quality fish.
    These dealers are allowed to continue their dealings on social-media without ever being held accountable. Im sure theres no need to explain the repurcussions.
    Across the board highlighting this type of thing by members is frowned upon and usually deleted with a slap on the wrist.
    Its not the same on international forums!

The "source" of this talk is what I referred to. And lets not beat around - we all adults here!
    You honestly want to make us believe that in the short time you have kept discus you have -
    a) Won the respect and admiration of a "world class breeder" for him to go around hand selecting fish for you? From hundreds of importers?
    b)You so cosy with the Wild fish collectors in S.America that you import wild fish from them "direct" - albeit via Europe?
    c) You proclaim to have imported "A grade fish" in a box where the pics show abt 18 fish I roughly counted? 18? You imported? At an average Transport cost of R7k for the box, ex specimen cost (being "a grade" id estimate at least $25 each?) add customs etc and you sit with an estimated R850 landed cost. For 6.5cm fish? From asia - impossible to sell. Id buy same fish from Phishman at a third of that.

Ill post this and I expect a backlash and afterwards I expect to be told Im wrong as one should not shoot down in SA social-media etc etc. Thats all fine, but I have been ripped off, and so has many of my friends and fellow Discus keepers by this type of "talk".

I know it sounds like Im calling you untrustworthy, and without getting lost in the semantics of things - deductive logic brings us to a point where these things should "make sense", and as a whole it just doesnt.

Admin - Im not trying to start an argument here. Please feel free to delete my post. Im not the only one out there that feels this way though and Im just speaking my mind.

Mastermamo - all the best with your venture.

Rgds

Marco

14. larch

larch Green fingers

• APSA Member
    66%
  15. Kryo

Kryo Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    +1

Sorry Mo but I've been in this hobby for way too long and this sort of thing has happened so many times...

Good luck though!

16. Singu

Singu Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    53%
    Time to sit back, relax and enjoy some interesting reading !

17. pHish_man

pHish_man Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    53%
    +2 Marco

18. Mastermamo

• APSA Member
    40%
    Dear Marco

I am glad you took the time to get into this in such detail. It shows me that I have at least made some sort of impact albeit a negative one in your particular case.

You may have counted 18 packets and presumed that contained ALL the fish. You are in fact incorrect in your deduction as many were already in the dripping process at that point. And what you saw were just the discus. There were other fish brought in that were bought by pre order that are not in the pic. Your deductions on pricing are roughly correct and you are more than welcome to purchase from Phishman or whoever you choose to purchase from at R195 for a 6-6.5cm fish. This is totally your prerogative. I've never once spammed anyone with pricing lists etc like others have done before.

As far as having gained the trust of international breeders etc are concerned, I must say that making those sorts of comments without knowing about my other business interests abroad is for lack of a better term, a little ignorant of you. You say I've been in this for a short time and yes, next to your many years in the game I might look like a newbie but I didn't just jump into this. It's taken many months of negotiation etc to get to this point. You can't simply assume my deal with the breeders is a straightforward one. Like I mentioned, I have other business interests in Asia, the US and Europe.

I really don't mind you airing your opinion here. You are most certainly free to do so. But when u say you aren't calling me untrustworthy yet say so much between the lines to imply this I take exception to it.

But, the biggest point of concern for me is the following:

WHY has this bothered you this much?
    Have I lied to anyone?
    Have I sold fish as A grade only to have them die after being bought by clients?
    Have I advertised pics taken from Google and then sold fish that looked nothing like the pics (as many have done already)
    Have I professed to have gotten them from X supplier and lied about it?

Why is this such a problem for you? Does being a relative newcomer to this hobby mean I don't know how to run a business? I own 2 companies and am on the board of 2 more. Do I look like I'm stupid? When I set my mind to achieve something I ensure I achieve it. Without lies. Without false truths. Without ego.

So Marco, as much as I appreciate your "concern" for everyone out there I might be "conning" (and only God knows how I can), please feel free to rather call me or visit me and ask me all u want to in person.

This virtual novel u just wrote is, in my opinion, nothing more than an opportunity you took to incite concern and doubt amongst others.
    Like u said, we are all adults and just as u think u can read between my lines, it's pretty obvious what's written between yours.

Regards

M

19. Mastermamo

• APSA Member
    40%
    @ Kryo what's happened too many times before. I'm honestly totally lost with why ppl are up in arms about me simply bringing fish in. What's all the fuss about?

20. larch

larch Green fingers

• APSA Member
    66%
    I am going to stand-up for Mastermamo here, Mastermamo I understand why people are apprehensive about you bringing in Discus because you are very secretive about who your supplier and contacts are. I am sure you got your fish are from the highest quality supplier and contact, so if that is the case why not just let people know who these people are. I mean that will clear the air immensely and then people will place their trust in you instead of being distrusted by everyone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.