white spots / ich cured!!

Discussion in 'Fish ailments' started by shihr, Oct 13, 2009.

1. shihr

shihr Administrator Staff Member

• Super Admin
    23%
    i am proud to say that i have finally been able to cure ich! in the past if my fish got ich, no matter what i do, they'd jus die.

what happened was, i have this mini pond outside my house (will post pics soon) and i had one gold fish left (dam cats) so i decided to go to my LFS to buy 2 more! they looked pretty healthy to me (no signs of illness) and BAM! 1wk later all 3 of them got white spots..

this time i wasnt gonna let the whitespots win so i looked online (Properly). i already had the meds so i could dose.

what i did was first a 50% water change, then i dosed the recomended amount of meds, and turned the temporary heater to 30 deg. (BTW, i never knew in the past that u had to turn the temp up)

so one day goes past, fish start to look even more sickly, the one black moor dies :'( (think he was too small so imune system wasn good)

so a wk later, it looks like the fishes skin is rotting off, but i realised its the spots that was "Falling off"! so i did another water change and dosed with meds again and what do u know, 7 days later, no more white spots!

so all i wanna say is for the novice ppl, ich can be combated, jus hav to know the method.

2. Pikkie

Pikkie Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Hi Sihir! Glad you got it cured. You up the temperature so that the life cycle of the parasite can accelerate. Because when the parasite "falls" of it becomes free swimming and is the only time we can kill it. So it may look like it's gone but it's actually free swimming and multiplying everytime. It's in this free swimming time that you need to dose those meds. So I recommend you keep up with you dosing schedule.

Regards Izak

3. foo

foo Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    53%
    I don't really know goldfish that well, but surely they don't like the temperatures that high? I would at least add an air pump to increase the oxygen levels if possible - medication as well as higher temperatures decreases the amount of oxygen in the water.

Like Pikkie said, just continue with the medication, even after you're sure the white spot is gone. At higher temperatures like 30 degrees, I would medicate for at least 1 1/2 weeks to 2 weeks and at lower temperatures for at least a month.

4. shihr

shihr Administrator Staff Member

• Super Admin
    23%
    ya well i heard in too hot temps, gold fish start to loose colour.. but its k guys, this happened like 2 wks ago.. i did dose one last time just incase. and they both seem happy now:)

5. foo

foo Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    53%
    good to hear!