Whey Protein

Discussion in 'Discus' started by Peter, May 27, 2008.

1. Peter

Peter Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Hi

I came across this bi-product called ?Whey Protein? which is generally used in bodybuilding, I have heard it is very beneficial to discus provided it is used in moderation. Has anyone heard of this, with regards to adding some to fish food? What I have also heard? the growth rate increases substantially. I have looked for more information but all I have found is hearsay. I?m also trying to find out if too much protein is good or bad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whey_protein

2. morpheus

morpheus Noob

• APSA Member
    80%
    This is a very interesting question. Whey protein is a dairy based protein which is not something that fish ever encounter in the wild. I would be interested to know the long term effects of this on fish. It has been proven that long term exposure to beef heart and other fatty red meats is detrimental to fish, not just discus. I think this may be more of the same.

Funny how some keepers are so obsessed with the size of their fish they will put their health at risk. Not something I have ever been able to understand really.

3. James1

James1 Noob

• APSA Member
    90%
    I have heard of some one who added this to his puppy's food and the dog put on a lot of mussel quickly.
    Also from what I understand, Beef heart has very little fat, that is why it is used and not other cuts of meat.
    Of course the heart must be trimmed very well.

Getting back to the whey, My concern would be polluting of the water. I hear that in Asia they add baby formula to the fish food to enhance growth. But then they do more than a 80% water change every day.

James

4. Peter

Peter Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Hi morpheus

I also would have thought that after all these years, discus keepers would be content with the current findings in diet nutrition. I agree that a lot of food that is given now days to discus is not found in the wild but I would think in the interest of the discus we try to replicate these benefits but can only speculate as to why some of the international breeders are continually looking for improvements in diet preparations, perhaps a healthier way to save costs in feeding them?
    Lol? don?t really think it?s an obsession for big discus but rather ?a quest to what is best.?

I found a study that was done of a protein diet where 5 levels of protein were used in feed for discus, which I found very informative. The funny thing is, I read this article a while back but was focused on digestive properties and forgot it also had this info.

Dietary protein requirements

This discus specific study was undertaken to ascertain the best protein content percentage for discus translated by the fish into growth and weight gain. Five levels of protein content were used, 35, 40, 45, 50 and 55 percent protein with protein derived from fish meal, casein and gelatin. Best growth over the 12 weeks of the feed trial was obtained at a maximum of 50.1 percent protein while best conversion of protein into growth was at 45 percent with the ?overall best? growth and protein ?conversion? occurring at a mathematically determined 44.9 percent. ?Overall best? being the most growth / weight gain over 12 weeks with the least feed mix needing to be fed to the discus. Of the feeds fed, the 45 percent protein food gave the most growth with least amount fed daily.

The above segment came from here http://forum.discusnews.com/discus-sion ... php?t=6707