What is eating my Rasbora's?

Discussion in 'General Aquatic Talk' started by Trompie, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Trompie

Trompie Green fingers

• APSA Member
    9%
    After being very excited about my new Rasbora's I got over the weekend I got home this afternoon and only have the 4 biggest ones left of 10 I bought. Yesterday I only saw about 6 or 7 after putting them in on Saturday but thought maybe 1 or 2 got eaten and the rest hiding. But....I see def only 4 in the tank.

Who is the culprit?

I have 5 scissortail rasbora's that is top of my list. They are about 2.5 - 3" long. Even though i never see them chase my other fish... Then I have 1 x beta female. Then there are 4 lemon tetra's, 2 x head and tail lamps, 6 pink glow fish, 2 x emperor neon tetra (I have seen the one grab a small fry once but the rasbora's are a bit bigger than the fry). 1 x doctor fish. 4x Rummy nose tetra and 2 bumble bee gobies and 4 white clouds. Oh and 2 x halfbeaks but the male is so preoccupied with the female the last 2 days that I doubt he has eaten them.

Whatever the culprit is...it must out of the tank.

Thanx
    Martin

2. Maurice

Maurice Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    23%
    Hi Martin,

Do you have a canopy?

If not, have a look on the floor next to the tank, they might be jumping out

3. Trompie

Trompie Green fingers

• APSA Member
    9%
    Maurice no I do not have a canopy but I have black glass like the mirror tanks have at the top and water level is just touching there so it's approx 18cm to top of the tank. Don't think they could jump out. However I did check the floor just in case and there is nothing. Thanx

4. Trev Pleco

Trev Pleco Algae destroyer

• APSA Member
    23%
    which rasbora, bumble bee gobies are not the most sociable fish from what I recall.. ?

I would never put the maculatus in with tetras over double their size, its fodder... come on guys do your research, think smart and save the tears

Luis Embalo likes this.
  5. Vis

Vis Plant menace

• APSA Member
    77%
    Maybe they died and was quickly eaten by the others?

PsyXe likes this.
  6. N00b

N00b Green fingers

• APSA Member
    51%
    Dude the bumble bee goby is carnivors they chowed my endlers. Hope this help

7. HennieRoux

HennieRoux Plant menace

• APSA Member
    10%
    Don`t take the female Betta out of this! They are master hunters, and depending on your Rasbora size, she would munch them any day.

Luis Embalo likes this.
  8. Trompie

Trompie Green fingers

• APSA Member
    9%
    I bought 1 rasbora months ago and put it in the tank and it's still there so I didn't see a problem putting more in there. If 1 survived why not the other?

9. Trompie

Trompie Green fingers

• APSA Member
    9%
    And another thing the lampeyes are not much bigger than the rasbora's and they are still there. The bumble bee gobies are not bothered by the rasbora as you can see on the one pic I posted the rasbora was right there with bumble bee. I sat at the tank for more than an hour Saturday to check fish behaviour and nothing chased them. Not once that is why I am baffled why they are gone. My stones are fairly large and I know my other rasbora hides in them at night I have seen him right against the glass hiding so maybe they got stuck in there. The only reason I think it's the scissortails is because they have big mouths....i have seen the betta stalking my shrimp from time to time....

10. Trev Pleco

• APSA Member
    23%
    I remember being warned by my LPS back in the 70s that bumble bees 'bite other fish' , made a lasting childhood impression on me that I still remember today and this was not something I wanted to spend my pocket money on.

If the maculatus were one of the first fish in your tank community and were established and street
    smart with lots of good vegetation to hide they would perhaps stand a better chance when other fish are then introduced. However if you are a pint size newbie and you get thrown into a new community and environment with all the established big boys of the neighbourhood your chances of surviving are not great..

11. Trompie

Trompie Green fingers

• APSA Member
    9%
    I understand but the other Rasbora was also introduced new after all the other. And my 2 threadfin rainbow fish were also small when I introduced them and they are also fine. Maybe some were just too small. As the bigger ones are all still there...even though bigger I mean perhaps by 1mm bigger. Thanx for the info

12. Trev Pleco

• APSA Member
    23%
    Yeah it's their small size and that they are new.

For me maculatus are great fish to compliment a shrimp tank and they can have free run of the place and shoal and will play an important role with controlling bugs such as copepods and I have no proof that they make any impression on shrimp fry. Personally I would not have them in a community tank..

Luis Embalo likes this.
  13. Deadpool

Deadpool Algae destroyer Staff Member

• APSA Member
    • Sponsor
    73%
    Sorry to hear about your loss bud...I always advise peeps that buy fish from me...NOT to put micro fish in with fish much larger than they are! Another reason to your deaths...can be intimidation. Tetras are VERY active and will out compete the little guys for food, true they wouldn't have starved to death within a few days...but the chasing by bigger, faster fish could've had a toll on your micro fish (and do remember, they not in the best of condition when you get them from a LFS to begin with)

The exhaustion could've killed them...

14. Trev Pleco

• APSA Member
    23%
    Ok let's try another angle, maculatus occur in Malaysia in pretty slow moving black water water ponds surrounded by heavy thick grassed vegetation where they can take cover and play a life of darting in and out and grabbing food and watching out for birds, they have little competition and other fish predators are relatively scarce, after all they are the main predators in their own pond. Now if you introduce them into a crowded species tank of bigger foreigners in a confined environment there is bound to be problems.

15. Trev Pleco

• APSA Member
    23%
    I've seen these pond environments in Malaysia where they live, they can even be right in suburbia and close to town, there is water everywhere and stagnant ponds with plenty of life. Once I even watched an archer fish hunting from the bus ,lol, while waiting for the baggage to be loaded.

16. Trompie

Trompie Green fingers

• APSA Member
    9%
    I bought 1 Rasbora approx 3 months ago from the same petshop. There was only one swimming around in a tank full of plants which I spotted and asked them to sell him to me. He is alive and well. He looks different to the ones I bought now. He has a round spot on him while the other ones have semi round spots.
    20150420_163309_004_01.jpg

20150420_163424_003_01.jpg 20150420_163408_005_01.jpg 20150420_163259_007_01.jpg

17. Deadpool

Deadpool Algae destroyer Staff Member

• APSA Member
    • Sponsor
    73%
    I've had a feeder fish (zebra danio) live in my oscar tank for two weeks...almost like oscars didn't notice or see it. Bought 10 more danios and as I threw them in...they went mad. "McGuyver" didn't make it either...think as a single individual, they may go unnoticed, but once they shoal together...other fish may take notice.

18. Trompie

Trompie Green fingers

• APSA Member
    9%
    Ja that makes sense. Damn!

19. Trev Pleco

• APSA Member
    23%
    Evidently there are different strains of maculatus depending on where in Asia they come. I saw this when I bought some fish a year later and put them with my existing fish, the new ones had more red and slightly different markings.

20. AndriesJ

AndriesJ Green fingers

• APSA Member
    51%
    Are you completely sure they are missing?
    I was convinced that I lost five of mine, went out and bought another frive, to keep the numbers at 10, in this week I counted them and saw I still had 13.
    These little buggers are small and difficult to count. BUT they will fall prey to any fish that can fit them in their mouth.

By the way, I am still not convinced that the new fish is maculatus. I again refer you to this page.
    http://www.fishbase.org/identification/SpeciesList.php?genus=Boraras

B. maculatus is a fraction bigger, and doesnt have the red cheeks seen in merah.
    http://www.fishbase.org/summary/Boraras-maculatus.html (rounder dod on the side and only one marking at the ventral fin)
    http://www.fishbase.org/summary/Boraras-merah.html (look at the flatter main mark on the side and then the two markings above the ventral fins aswell as the red cheek)