What am I missing?

Discussion in 'Plant Problems' started by neilh, Apr 20, 2009.

1. neilh

neilh Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Tank's been running for close to two months and it looks like my plants are growing but not thriving

Low down on the setup
    Flourite topped off with pool filter sand
    Tall 4ft ie 600 high
    Lighting is a 4X39w pendant with reflectors (1 Grolux, 1 Day light, 1 Skywhite and 1 coral blue)
    Pressurised CO2 injection
    Photo period is around 9 hours, pH is in the neutral range just on 6.9 -7.0, Nitrate 5ppm. Haven't tested phosphate in a while
    Inmates are a Clown Peckoltia, Talking Catfish, 6 Celestial Danios, 10 Rummy's and an apple snail
    I also have some pest snails including MTS and more importantly Ramshorns

Sword. Curling?
    [​IMG]

Hygro, leaves at the top are yellowish/reddish but new leaves are lush and green
    [​IMG]

My unhappy Crypt
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Scanning my plants, it would seem that they are suffering from Chlorosis, curling and pinholing? Which I gather is a calcium and potassium shortage? I have started dosing trace elements as well as Salt Petre and Magnesium Carbonate

2. wilsar

wilsar Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    what water are you using to fill up your tank? do you know the Ca/Mg content/relationship? how much CO2 are you dosing? how much fertilizing of KNO3(saltpeter)? are you dosing any phosphates?(KH2PO4) or extra potassium?(K2SO4).
    you dont seem to be getting any pearling, are you using a reactor for CO2 diffusion? how high are your lights suspended over your tank?
    pinholing is normally caused by potasium deficiencies.

3. neilh

neilh Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Water is half RO and Half tap water
    Unsure of Ca/Mg relationship, need to get the drop tests
    Only started fertilising this evening with Saltpetre, Magnesium Carbonate and trace elements. Saltpetre is 1/8 of a teaspoon, Magnesium Carbonate 1/4 teaspoon.
    Funnily enough, I did a double check this evening and i'm seeing a lot of pearling on a lot of my plants, where previously I was getting none. Lights were off today due to the timer being reset, but CO2 was still being injected. CO2 defficient maybe?
    Not using a reactor for the CO2, straight line into the powerhead and diffusing from there
    Lights are about 15cm above the tank, would post a pic, bit it looks like photobucket is down.

Thanks for the suggestions, keep them coming!

4. wilsar

wilsar Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    i dont quite understand why you are dosing magnesium carbonate,but it cant hurt as long as you dont over do it.Ca and Mg should be in relationship of 4:1 but there are many that grow excellent scapes with this measurement not perfect. it will show up later after the plants are growing fast as to what is deficient. ive read some guys here use dolomite,but that is Calcium Magnesium Carbonate-CaMg(CO3)2, maybe somebody here can explain more of this?
    As for the Echinodorus leaves curling, depending on the specific type it is, there are many that perform like this, so i wouldn't worry.
    the Crypt looks fine, it should pick up after a couple of days with CO2 and ferts.

5. neilh

neilh Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Thanks Wilsar!
    Trying to go the conservative route and do things slowly and cautiously....

What difference would a CO2 reactor make as opposed to diffusing it with a powerhead via the venturi? More contact time? I have a Sera CO2 reactor, just need a pump to feed it water

The crypt has been like that for close to 2 weeks, have been dosing CO2 for a bit less ???