WANTED: Plants

Discussion in 'Plants for sale or trade' started by Laure, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Laure

Laure Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Hi

I am looking for specific green background plants to take the place of Limnophila Sessiliflora. I am looking for 1 of the following, but I need at least 20 stems to cover the area:
    Myriophyllum mattogrossense (green)
    Limnophila aquatica

In addition to that I am looking for Rotala Wallichii and Hygrophila Difformis.

Anybody out there with the above? Either for sale or trade.

Regards
    Lauré

2. silver fox

silver fox Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Hi Laure
    I can help you with the difformis, though the tank it is in has quite an infestation of BBA so it comes with a health warning. Send me your details and i will post some up

cheers
    Rob

3. Laure

Laure Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Hmmm, I'm a little worried about that, just got over a BBA infestation. Managed to kill it with Glutaraldehyde.

Ideally, although this may be a long shot, I'd like to get all the plants I'm looking for from one area, so it ends up being one parcel. Then I don't mind the postage. Even if they are not all from the same source, perhaps there might be someone with a cutting of one and a LFS in his/her area that sell the rest. If he/she would be so kind as to go buy for me and post, I'd appreciate it.

Any LFS out there with any of the plants on my wishlist?

4. Risen

Risen Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    53%
    Glutaraldehyde is hectic stuff. Glutaraldehyde is a colorless liquid with a pungent odor used to disinfect medical and dental equipment. It is also used for industrial water treatment and as a chemical preservative.
    However, it is toxic, causing severe eye, nose, throat and lung irritation, along with headaches, drowsiness and dizziness. It is a main source of occupational asthma among health care providers.[1]
    Glutaraldehyde is an oily liquid at room temperature (density 1.06 g/ml), and miscible with water, alcohol, and benzene. It is used as a tissue fixative in electron microscopy. It is employed as an embalming fluid, is a component of leather tanning solutions, and occurs as an intermediate in the production of certain industrial chemicals. Glutaraldehyde is frequently used in biochemistry applications as an amine-reactive homobifunctional crosslinker. The oligomeric state of proteins can be examined through this application.

glutaraldehyde known as polycycloglutaracetal is a fertilizer for aquatic plants. It is claimed that it provides a bioavailable source of carbon for higher plants that is not available to algae. Though not marketed as such due to federal regulations, the biocidal effect of glutaraldehyde kills most algae at concentrations of 0.5 - 5.0 ppm. These levels are not harmful to most aquatic fauna and flora. Adverse reactions have been observed by some aquarists at these concentrations in some aquatic.

5. Andre

Andre Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    Hi Laure

I might be able to help you with the Myriophyllum mattogrossense and Rotala wallichii in another month or so.

6. silver fox

• APSA Member
    40%
    Hi Laure
    I will keep you some, i saw you were going to be getting some stuff from the Prof next month, i've being meaning to visit him when i do i will leave it with him ;D

cheers
    Rob

7. Laure

Laure Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Hi

That will be very much appreciated. Actually, I am getting an order from Prof hopefully on Monday, so this might be cutting it fine. However, if you look at Andre's post he can help me with Myriophyllum mattogrossense and Rotala wallichii, probably next month sometime. So if the 2 of you could somehow get the plants to a single place and post from there it would be great. Then I'll sort out the freight costs with whomever is actally sending it.

8. silver fox

• APSA Member
    40%
    cool will chat with Andre later in the month and make a plan

9. Laure

Laure Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    So when people say overdose Excel to kill BBA, what concentration would be required to achieve, for example, 5ppm gluteraldehyde? Normal Excel dose is 2ml per 100l for moderately planted tank. How much gluteraldehyde would one be dosing? People are saying dose 3x normal to kill algae. I want to be sure I don't dose a crazy amount and kill fish...

All I've done was dose the recommended amount for a heavily planted tank, but quirted on the algae with a syringe and the filter turned off for 10 minutes so as to concentrate the dosage on the algae in question.

10. wearsbunnyslippers

wearsbunnyslippers Administrator Staff Member

• Super Admin
    23%
    overdose is 2 or 3 times the recommended dosage. i have done this regularly with no ill effects.

i wouldnt do this in a tank with ottos, and if you have vals, they will start to melt, they sometimes recover though...