Too little algae???

Discussion in 'Plant Problems' started by STRiDER, Dec 9, 2006.

1. STRiDER

STRiDER Noob

• APSA Member
    80%
    Is there such a thing as too little algae?

My tank has been running for just over a month now and I have very little signs of any algae.

My cleaning crew so far consists of 6 Ottos and 2 Chinese Algae Eaters (which is due for a new tank soon).

I have a low tech setup with a light cycle of 8 hours.
    See here for more details on my setup : http://www.apsa.co.za/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=5

The only signs of algae so far is in the two rear corners on the silicon. The Ottos does not seem to graze there. Here's a pic of the algae:

[​IMG]

So I guess my question is this:

Do I need more algae for the fish, or is there no algae because of the fish?

(And no, I'm not complaining about this - I know lots of people struggle with algae. Im just checking to see if this might adversely affect my fish...)

2. d3tained

d3tained Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Hi Strider.

That is very good news.You can never have to little algae according to me.

Remember that even though SAE and Ottos are algae eaters all algae eaters only eat certain tipe algae depening on the species.

Even a tank with loads of algae could have to little algae for algae eaters as the tipe they eat is not growing in the aqarium.

I would supply them with some algae wavers.

Hope this helped!!

3. Cameron

Cameron Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    It depends on what type of setup you have, generally algae is good in any fish tank as it it takes up excess nutrients, keeping the water clean, fry will also feed on algae and the small critters that live in it. But in a planted tank algae should be at a minimum, if algae starts to get too prolific in a planted tank it usually means that there is something wrong, most likely lack of nutrients. Keep your plants well fed and algae should stay away. But there will always be a spot of algae here and there even in planted tanks.

Your tank is still very young, give it some time to mature. The algae will show up at some point :)

Ottos are lovely fish, great algae grazers and very peaceful. The Chinese algae eaters may get a bit boisterous with age, and they get pretty big too.

The tank sounds like it's doing fine, if you think the fish may be starving for algae then you can always feed them some sinking algae wafers just to suppliment them until the tank has matured a bit more.

4. YUNUS

YUNUS Noob

• APSA Member
    55%
    ottos are Known not to like/eat algae wafers
    boiled/ blanched zuchinis are better or any boiled vegetables. only problem is the algae eaters get there first and are quite wild with their own kind when fighting over the spoils
    check out www.otocinclus.com for other tips on feeding

5. STRiDER

STRiDER Noob

• APSA Member
    80%
    Thanks everyone!

The two Chinese Algae are due to leave the tank as soon as I can catch them :eek:

I love the Otto's - they are literally busy 24/7. I will try and get them some supplemental food and see how they react.