Timers

Discussion in 'General Aquatic Talk' started by Philip, Nov 10, 2006.

1. Philip

Philip Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Hi Guys
    I see , mention was made about an irrigation timer, now if I am the same wave length, Those modules deliver 12DC output. There are dual digital timers available but they come at a price. R 895.00 to be exact.

The advantage of Dial Type timers as apposed to Digital:
    Dial types are cheaper by nature, but they have there limitations,eg. Have to be reset manually if power fails and also the wattage output is different.
    The Digial ones ,you can set upto 8 programs if you wish, they have a battery backup if power is down so one does not loose the programmed settings. They are a little more pricey but the ones I use are only R 199.00 and are din rail mounted.

2. Andre

Andre Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    Hi Philip

I also use one of the digital ones with the 8 programmable settings. They were not that much more expensive than the dial types and I have been using it for 4 years with no problems :p

3. Philip

Philip Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Andre

What is a rand or two between the two different timers. My choice if money was not an issue, will be Digital timers. I started off with pool dial timers but progressed to digital, and I do not regret it for one moment. It is definately worth it in the long run.

What I have also done, is connect hour meters to my lighting system, when the life span of the tube has been reached, I know which one require replacing.

4. Andre

Andre Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    Hi Philip

Could you explain how the hour meters work?

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I've found that those dial timers lose quite a lot of time over a day.

One day I was sitting watching my Tang and planted tank when they both went off at the same time. The next day the planted tank(which is the digital timer) went off at the same time and the Tang tank(which is the analogue timer) went off about 30 seconds after the digital one.

6. Rattail

Rattail Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Not knowing about another timers (besides the dial type) I originally bought a Hunter ES 6-station irrigation timer. The output is 28VAC, which meant I had to design a circuit with relays to get it to work. Only to eventually discover that: 1- you can only have 1 port on at any given time, 2-the maximum duration is 4hours.

Though this is very cost effective (R499 at Brights), it did not work for me because I want to switch my lights on and off at 15minute intervals. So... I needed more flexibility.

I bought 4 pool-type dial timers which I will now be building into my circuit. At R100 each, I don't mind any slight variation/shift in time that might occur, and I also don't mind having to reset the time if the power goes down - I have to do it   to my pool anyway.

In the meantime, I use the manual-override switches you saw on my journal post, and the fish actually seem to like the phased out approach of the lighting.

I'd appreciate hearing about the hour meters, Phillip? And for general interest, about the available digital timers you mentioned?

cheers.

7. Andre

Andre Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    Richard

You can actually buy those digital timers at brights too. I bought mine for R150, although it is a while ago.

I also have a dial type timer and it works as well. I do like the digital timer though, as I set it up to start the lights an hour later on weekends. That way I can enjoy it a bit longer in the evenings :p