The Hassle of Import Permits

Discussion in 'Plants for sale or trade' started by Philip, Nov 6, 2006.

1. Philip

Philip Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Hi Guys
    I spent, the entire day at Cape Town International just to get my plants.
    Let me tell you guys that are interested in importing.
    Firstly arriving at 10H15, the plane only landed at 10H20, I then had to wait for the documents ( another 45min) , then on receiving the documents, you have to go to customs. Let me tell you guys, that is a long waiting period. Your documents are scrutinised by customs and then the SARS receipt is issued for the amount of the goods imported. Now the fun starts all over, if your order is less than R 500-00 its no problem, but my plant order was about R 5000.00, now you have to get a clearing agent, because they are the only ones that can release your goods. Now the extra cost comes in as well. After that the plants are inspected by the plant guys at customs, they removed 3 bags of plants for there laboratory , you have no say. After all this it cost me additional R 1450.00 just to have the plants released. I only received the plants and arrived at AquaH2O at 17h00.
    Well It was a learning curve as I know now what to do to save all the hassles and time.

2. Dirk B

Dirk B Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    73%
    Hi Philip,

My sympathies with regard to your customs experiences. I have been importing fish food since 1991 and I know all about it. If you need some assistance in badgering the plant inspection guys, give me a call as I know their boss.... he wants something from me, always a good situation to be in. Hope the plants are going to be worth all the hassle. I can't be at Aqua H2O tomorrow, but may ask someone to go there on my behalf as the plants that you have brought in are definitely interesting. I certainly appreciate your efforts in bringing in something that is not the run of the mill stuff, many thanks.

Kind regards,

Dirk

3. Philip

Philip Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Hi Dirk
    Thanks, with my next import will seek your assisstance.