Tank problems. Rotting roots and brown filamentous algae

Discussion in 'Plant Problems' started by neilh, Sep 21, 2009.

1. neilh

neilh Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Couple of my plants are growing like crazy but the roots are starting to rot.

What am I missing in my dosage regime? Have only recently started dosing Equilibrium in addition to Salt Petre, Natures Choice No salt and trelmix

Also i'm getting a lot of brown filamentous algae on my driftwood, I have upped flow but it still persists.

Nitrate < 10 ppm
    Phosphate > 5 ppm :eek: :(

Tried researching this on APC but my registration was declined

2. wearsbunnyslippers

wearsbunnyslippers Administrator Staff Member

• Super Admin
    23%
    do you have any anaerobic patches in your substrate?

i also had to include dolomite in my dosing regime to supplement calcium and magnesium as the equilibrium was not enough., why are you dosing KCl still? if you are dosing KNO3 and equilibrium you will have plenty of potassium.

you didnt mention any phosphate?

trelmix has loads of iron in it how much are you dosing? i got brown algae if i dosed any thing that contained extra iron while i was using trelmix...

3. neilh

neilh Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Nothing for phosphate. I'm trying to get it down! Phosphate binding media is slowly having an effect at the moment

10ml for trelmix every alternate day for a 400l system. I see you do 5ml for yours

4. wearsbunnyslippers

• Super Admin
    23%
    i think the brown algae might be from too much trelmix, try half your dose, i had good growth with 5ml 3 times per week...

nitrates should be around 15-20ppm especially if your phosphate is high.

can you post your dosing regime, how much nitrate etc.?

5. neilh

neilh Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Problem is, my plants are taking the Nitrates up faster than I can replace and keep my Discus happy at the same time. So it's getting to be a fine balancing act

Mon - 2tsp Kn03, 1 tsp KCl
    Tue - 10ml Trelmix
    Wed - 2tsp Kn03, 1 tsp KCl. 25% WC
    Thurs - 10ml Trelmix
    Fri - 2tsp Kn03, 1 tsp KCl
    Sat - 10ml Trelmix
    Sun - 25% WC

I got some Dolomite in addition to the equilibrium over the weekend. So will be adding those in on Macro days?

6. wearsbunnyslippers

• Super Admin
    23%
    dood, i dont know where all your nitrate is going?? maybe you should calibrate your test kit?

i used to dose : 1/2 a teaspoon of KNO3, 1/2 a teaspoon of dolomite, 1/2 a teaspoon of equilibrium and 1/8 of a teaspoon of k2pho4 in a heavily planted 400l, then 5ml trelmix every other day

i was 1/4 what you are dosing...

and my nitrate readings were always > 20

how did you calculate you need 2tsp of KNO3 3x a week?

7. neilh

neilh Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    I didn't, which is probably why i've got the problem. Maybe cut down to your regime after some big water changes

Like you, I use the API drop tests. Do a test with RO water to make 100% sure it tests 0?

8. wearsbunnyslippers

• Super Admin
    23%
    RO water should test zero, you want to test the kits ability to accurately detect nitrate, not lack of nitrate.

you can make a standard solution where you know the exact amount of nitrate should be 20ppm and test that to see if the test reflects 20ppm...

i think dropping your doses, and leaving out the KCl will be a good start...

9. neilh

neilh Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Thanks man

10. foo

foo Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    53%
    uhh RO water? is that reverse osmosis water? How is that different from distilled water as far as chemical composition is concerned?

11. Ryan

Ryan Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    RO water is water that's been put through a reverse osmosis filter. It's similar to distilled water, except I think it is slightly more impure than distilled water.

12. Rosemary

Rosemary Noob

• APSA Member
    80%
    I think this is slightly off topic - apologies for the continued diversion and mods feel free to split this topic if appropriate?

Re distilled vs RO: I think it's the other way round: probably an insignificant difference on a practical level - but here's how I understand it: RO water is pure H2O - chemical structure, no ions or anything. This apparently makes it quite unstable. Distilled water is H2O plus any other things that may have been in the water that vaporise at or below water's boiling point. An example would be if water contained alchohol, then the distilled water would also likely contain alchohol whereas RO would not. Of practical significance , as I understand, distilled water may contain heavy metals or other impurities. But then, RO water costs a few thousand rand to buy the unit, but distilled water can be purchased at a pharmacy for a few rand. Now that's practical...

13. wilsar

wilsar Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    RO water should contain nothing but H2O whereas distilled water can contain heavy metals as in Ca, Mg, Fe etc. it is an important difference when trying to grow aquatic plants.

14. cory

cory Noob

• APSA Member
    80%
    The distillation process is boil water => condense steam => collect water. When u buy distilled water it should have no volitile organic substances. The organics are removed (one method is fractional distillation) and other particals (ions) are also left behind during the distillation process. So in the end u have only pure H2O. Which technically is H2O<=>H+ + OH- an equillibrium between H2O, H+ and OH-.

So i have to disagree with wilsar here and say that distilled water is devoid of any minerals.

Regarding RO water...The systems used to produce RO water for aquariums have carbon filtration to remove organics and then the membrain which removes the dissolved salts. The removal effectiveness depends on the contaminant and its concentration, the membrane selected and the water pressure. There are membranes with various pore sizes ranging from 0.1nm to 5000nm. Thus if a membrane with a large pore size is used in the RO unit more dissovled salts will be present.

That's just my 10c worth
    Jason

15. wilsar

wilsar Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    "Distilled water is often defined as bottled water that has been produced by a process of distillation and has an electrical conductivity of not more than 10 µS/cm and total dissolved solids of less than 10 Mg/L"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_dis ... stillation

if you read my previous post in thread i used the word "can". distillation does remove alot of impurities but not all.

16. neilh

neilh Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Small update

I think I found the cause of my algae problem. The damn Phosphate remover is Ferric Oxide, which I gather is completely saturated with PO4 and releasing Fe into the water.

Lost a few Rummy's and even string Valis from Algae Wizard is dying. Now wheres that bang head smilie :(

17. Laure

Laure Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Hi

I read that Marsilea takes up huge amounts of phosphates. I know there is a sponsor on the other forum that had Marsilea Crenata. They are located in JHB, so perhaps you may want to get a few pots and try it as a carpet. It looks pretty nice; I don't know how easy it is to plant once your tank has water and fish in it! I would be interested to see somebody in JHB area try this experiment and see if their phosphates are reduced significantly.