Sump design for a 500l

Discussion in 'D.I.Y.' started by chiron, Jul 5, 2006.

1. chiron

chiron Noob

• APSA Member
    80%
    Hi
    I am currently planning my 500l planted. Have the following sump/filter design in mind:

I plan to use a standard 4ft drilled on the side for two redundant return pumps.
    Al measures in cm.
    Compartment 2 is a bubble trap
    Compartment 4 I plan to use for carbon or other media
    Compartment 5 is so big because I want to do water changes from here. Will also contain heaters etc.

I am also thinking of using compartment 5 to plant an easy growing plant (perhaps valisneria) on reverse lighting under PCs to control pH a bit as I am going to add CO2 and don't have the money for a pH controller. Comments on this? I might add a small powerhead to this compartment to increase flow to the bottom if I do this.

Comments on the design?

How high from the top or bottom of the tanks do you usually install the baffles? I plan to push about 4000lph through this sump.

Any comments appreciated.

Neels

[​IMG]

2. Andre

Andre Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    Hi Neels

Why are you drilling the sump for the pump returns?

Are you going to cover the top?

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Hey Neels

Sounds like a really nice undertaking. I don't like the thought of a sump under a planted tank though. A sump will be about the best value for money for a filter but there are some downsides. A sump increases the surface area of the tank and therefore allowing more evaporation and CO2 diffusion back into the atmosphere. It is also very turbulent and that to will help diffuse CO2 out of the water column. But it will defintely work very well as a filter and you will still be very successful with you plants

For some reason I can't download the sump design pic so I can't comment on it. But I like the idea of a reverse refugium type setup. Are you planning on going the pressurized CO2 route or DIY? I think a reverse lighting setup on DIY might be unnecessary.

This sounds like a very interesting undertaking. Keep us posted

4. chiron

chiron Noob

• APSA Member
    80%
    I don't want the pumps to heat up the system. My current 3ft hits 30 odd in the summer and I don't want this to happen with my new 500l which I am hoping to cool with a few PC fans. I am planning to cover.

Neels

5. Ryan

Ryan Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    Hi guys,

I've received word that some of you cannot view attachments, so I will temporarily host the pic somewhere for Neels and make it a normal image link.

As soon as I get to the bottom of the problem I will let you guys know.

Ryan

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Thanks Mr Admin sir

7. Peter

Peter Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Hi chiron

Looks great, but.......if I may, I would change a few things, what I would do is chamber 2 make wider and put my rings here, but to fill it up would be way to expensive, so fill what you can afford and the balance of space you can use plastic shavings. Chamber 3, I would now make it smaller to the size of chamber 2 of your plan. In here I would use this for my carbon. Chamber 4, I would get rid of. Chamber 5 is cool and on chamber 6, I would change the flow from, the entry on the top to the bottom. This way the chamber 6 has a larger water volume before it can run dry and damage the pump. There is no reason for the expense of drilling the out let of the sump, so chamber 6 can be wide enough to fit a submersible pump. To complete the separation between chamber 5 and 6 of your plan is to sponge at the base of your partition. Kind of like a pre-filter before your pump.

So in order:
    Chamber 1- mechanical
    Chamber 2- biological
    Chamber 3- carbon
    Chamber 4- WC area
    Chamber 6- pump

hth   :)

8. chiron

chiron Noob

• APSA Member
    80%
    Ryan
    Thanks for the update. Will upload aditional images to photo-bucket until you can fix the problem.

Peter
    Thanks for the comments. I plan to hang the ceramic rings in a tight-fitting plastic basket so that one can easily remove it and don't have to fill up the compartment.
    Re your suggestion of the separation between 5 and 6. I plan to have a layer of sand (for the reverse daylight refugium) in compartment 5, so obviously the gap cannot be at the bottom, so maybe I will have the gap halfway up in stead of at the top. I like the comment about the pump pre-filter though.
    Xmass
    I would like to have access to to the water for water changes in my fish cupboard in the garage, rather than having to do water-changes in the living room, which my wife prohibited. This is the main reason behind the sump (and the fact that my display tank is already drilled) as well as an opportunity to hide all equipment and the top-off system in the garage as well.
    I take your point about CO2 diffusion, but don't know what I can do about it. The CO2 reaction chamber will be in line with the return pump back to the display tank, so I might need to up the CO2 feeding rate a bit to compensate for this extra diffusion.
    I plan to go the fire extinguisher, O2 regulator route descibed by pfgrobbler on G4Y.

Thanks for the comments
    Neels

9. chiron

chiron Noob

• APSA Member
    80%
    Right. Version 2 of the design after I have incorporated some of the changes suggested:
    [​IMG]

My questions:
    1) Any other objections to the external pumps except for the cost of drilling the tank?

2) I want to place the CO2 reactor in line with the return to the display tank so that the maximum of CO2 is delivered to the display tank, rather than putting the reactor in the sump. Any pointers as to the design of such a system?

Neels

10. Ryan

Ryan Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    Neels, as far as the CO2 is concerned I believe (I'm not too sure about this at all actually) that it would be pretty evenly dissolved into the water.

Finding plans for an inline reactor is pretty easy. Try Googling it or head over to www.aquaticplantcentral.com and check out their DIY section. They have plans for inline reactors stickied there.

I'm also thinking that depending on how many plants you have in your main tank that you wouldn't really need more plants in the sump to reduce nitrates. Chances are, you'll be dosing nitrates to stop BGA.

HTH
    Ryan.

11. chiron

chiron Noob

• APSA Member
    80%
    Ryan

Thanks for the comment.
    The only reason I am thinking of planting the CO2 with reverse daylight is to combat the pH drop overnight as I don't have the money for a pH controller, but I will start up and see how it goes before I plant the sump. The reason for the size fo the sump is that i want to do water changes from it because it is in the garage in stead of the living room.

I have seen the design on aquaticplantcentral but was wondering about the increase in head preasure with this top to bottom design, but I supposse I don't have a choice. Am not goot with this PCV nomenclature thing, so I suppose I will need to take the disgn with me to a PVC place to help me. The clear pipe will probably cost an arm and a leg in SA.

Neels

12. Ryan

Ryan Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    Neels,

Instead of using clear pipe it may be possible to cannibalise the gravel sucking section (yes, that's the technical term :p) from a gravel syphon. I'm not too sure if they will be the same diameter though.

13. chiron

chiron Noob

• APSA Member
    80%
    Ryan

I was thinking along those lines as well. Will just have to close off the other end -- maybe use two???

Neels

14. Ryan

Ryan Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    That's a very good idea.

Post pictures and plans in the DIY forum and let us know how it goes. The best DIY projects are the ones where you actually let everyone know how your designs work out in the long run.

15. chiron

chiron Noob

• APSA Member
    80%
    Hey I'm nervous now ;). If you know how much I suck at DIY I am not so sure if I should post my results. Am busy with my fish cabinet in the garage at the moment and bloody drilling and hammering bloody holes through the bloody double brick wall between my garage and living room :mad: so I will not finish with this before the end of the month, but will keep you posted.

Neels

16. Ryan

Ryan Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    Not to worry. Reporting on failed ventures can be just as useful as reporting on successful ones. You could give someone else the information they need to avoid whatever went wrong with your design.

17. Andre

Andre Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    Hey Neels

This is going to be really cool. Let us know!