Steve's Tanks

Discussion in 'Aquascaping and Member's Setups' started by Steve, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Steve

Steve Noob

• APSA Member
    80%
    After discovering that my photographic skills are non existant and that I need a decent camera, here are my tanks   :)

4ft
    From this pic, you wouldnt think there were 6 Angels, 2 Bristlenoses, 4 Neons, 5 Glowlights, a Ghost Knife and 4 Kuhli's in there.

[​IMG]

Angels

[​IMG]

Black Ghost Knife

[​IMG]

Kuhli's hiding under hollow driftwood

[​IMG]

Male Bristlenose

[​IMG]

These Angels are the pair that produced the other Angels in the tank, Marble offspring in background.

[​IMG]

This is my sword flowering

[​IMG]

2ft

This tank contained two Gourami's and the two marble Angels were added as they were bullying the Angels in other tanks, once here they decided to breed.

[​IMG]

Here you can see the Marbles with their fry in between them, (have to look closely)
    Unfortunately as of Sunday morning, these fry no longer exist, either eaten by the Gourami's or the parents, as a result, now that I know they want to breed they are in their own tank, (swopped them around with a "non-breeding", breeder pair in the other 2ft)

[​IMG]

These are the new inhabitants of this tank, the "non-breeding" breeder pair, they threw one spawn, ate it and never tried again.

[​IMG]

2ft

This is the other 2ft in which the marbles now reside, hopefully they will spawn again soon.

[​IMG]

As Cameron says, thanks for looking,... please forgive my photographic skills and all comments, suggestions or critisisms welcome.

2. Steve

Steve Noob

• APSA Member
    80%
    Hmmm, seems I "fubar-ed" it, (pics not working), would appreciate if one of the moderators could have a look at what I did wrong, hopefully repair it and let me know what I did wrong so I dont do it again.

3. R.C.

R.C. Moderator Staff Member

• Global moderator
    23%
    Hi Steve,

The code is case sensitive.

Use lower case, not upper case.

Also, you missed the /

EDIT:- I just noticed that when using upper case, it will automatically revert to lower case when posted/previewed.

4. Steve

Steve Noob

• APSA Member
    80%
    Got it, thanks Fire Eel

5. R.C.

R.C. Moderator Staff Member

• Global moderator
    23%
    Nice pics.   I like your BN.   They're very cute when small.

LOL, is that a vacuum cleaner’s extension (erm…, thing) in there?   :D

I'm sure it's got a purpose, care to share?   :)

6. Steve

Steve Noob

• APSA Member
    80%
    Lol, yip, after discovering that Angels like spawning on PVC pipes, and taking into account that the majority of breeding cones and spawning slates are at an angle, (and recommended to be at an angle), I was looking at an old vacuum cleaner arm and decided to combine the two, (angle and PVC), no spawns on it yet though.

7. Andre

Andre Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    Hi Steve

Great to see your setups and angels.

The first pair (Black + Smokey) look really interesting. Could you let us know what fry they throw? We could work out their genetics from there. From the pictures the male looks like a M/+ Sm/+ or perhaps Gm/+ Sm/+. The female looks like a D/Gm or D/M

Any chance of maybe doing a swop? I would like to get some D/D or hybrid black's going. I have some nice adult "Peruvian" wild type angels if you would like to swop. Also a few other fancy varieties.

I love your plants. Nice tanks!

8. Andre

Andre Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    PS. I can see your angels are healthy and well fed. The eyes are in the correct proportions to the body and they have nice body shapes.

What are you feeding them?

9. Ryan

Ryan Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    As Andre said, very nice angels. I'm quite keen on the black angels, although I believe they are a bit harder to spawn and sometimes lack parenting skills.

All your tanks look really good, well done.

10. Steve

Steve Noob

• APSA Member
    80%
    Thanks for the compliments guys, appreciate it.
    Andre, a swop sounds like a good idea, I was thinking that I needed to introduce a new blood line soon, so that works for me, drop me a mail some time.
    That pair threw blacks and marbles only, although some of the blacks were a beautifull, all-over smokey grey for quite a while before darkening up, the others were pitch black from the day they showed colour.
    The marble with the red splash and the torn dorsal, shown in the pic of the two marbles with their fry, is also one of the offspring. (still dont know if its male or female as the eggs were laid and all tubes retraced before I even realised they had spawned)

The fry from that first pair have never had BBS, I let the tank go green and fed them on Liquifry 1 initially and later on Liquifry 3, (probably would have had a higher yield had I taken them away and fed them them BBS, but I wanted them to be parent raised and as "naturally" as possible).
    Adult food for all is Tetra-Min granules and Tetra Tabimin twice a day with Hikari Bloodworm at least every second day.

As for blacks being difficult to spawn and lacking parenting skills, I cant really comment as this was my first spawn, what I can tell you is that the two black females I have are very hard on their partners, they beat the hell out of them before spawning and if they are not attentive enough to the fry once the fry are swimming, they beat them some more.

Thanks again for the compliments.

11. Andre

Andre Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    Hi Steve

The offspring of the pair seem to indicate that my guess was correct

The genetic make up is probably

Male : M/+ (Marble/wild type) or perhaps M/G (Marble / Gold) with Smokey
    Female: M/D (Marble/Dark) - also known as hybrid black. If the female was D/D then all you would not have had any marbles as they would have been Hybrid blacks.

It is good to know that the fish are in fact parent raising as this is a big factor for me too.

I will send you a mail then we can organize a get together some time.

Cheers

Andre

12. Tucker

Tucker Noob

• APSA Member
    55%
    Hey Steve,

I really like your angels. :)
    Your setup is very nice too.

I've had similar probs with fry being eaten, its heartbreaking. :'(

Good luck with the angels in their own breeing tank.