Spawning

Discussion in 'Discus' started by Mastermamo, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Mastermamo

Mastermamo Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Hi guys

I've read a lot about spawning but thought I'd ask all you guys who have experienced it first hand:
    1. What is the precursor to spawning spawning behavior?
    2. How does one recognize spawning?
    3. How does one recognize fish that have paired?
    4. Once the pair is seen does one remove them to a new tank and if so what are the ideal water parameters?
    5. What are they fed during pairing and how often?
    6. Once eggs are laid does normal feeding continue?
    7. Do you need daily WC's
    8. Once fry are attached do you feed the parents normally and for how long does this continue?
    8. When do fry eat independently and what do they then eat?
    9. When can fry and parents be seperateld?

Appreciate as many responses as I can get

Thanks in advance

M

2. Kryo

Kryo Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    Um, your first few questions kinda relate to one another, so let me do my best to try and answer them. To all the other breeders out there, you may have a hissy fit at some of my techniques, but this is what worked for me and I bred enough to supply a few pet shops in my day.

A pair will often separate themselves from the rest of the Discus. They will use their lower fins to show off to one another by rubbing them together and will swim closely together. You will also notice that the female's oviposter protrudes slightly and is rounded in shape and the males will be slightly pointed in shape. Spawning will occur once they have found themselves a suitable area which they will spend a considerable time cleaning. Discus are not very smart with this regard and will often find the weirdest of places to spawn e.g: On heater protectors and on canister fittings when in a display tank.

I used let them have their first few spawns in the display tank; to get some practice and then I move them to a breeding set-up.

The breeding tanks I had were 40cm X 40cm X 40cm cubes, bare bottom, with a terra cotta cone in the centre, a heater and a sponge filter that was well matured in the display for a few weeks prior and I small airstone for extra oxygen.. I liked to put a weighted plastic plant in the breeding set-ups because it helped give them a bit more security, especially since the parents came from a planted display tank. I had small low wattage, not bright lights over the tank, so they can see what they are doing and I can see what they were doing!

The tanks water was pristine and I used RO water to drop the pH to 5.4 - 6 (max). I did water changes 2 -3 times a day, mostly 3 times because I was feeding them a hell've lot. 8 - 10 small high protein meals but variety. I used auto-feeders to feed during the day when I was a work.

Oh and I forgot to mention the breeding tanks were in my spare room where there was zero movement and zero interruptions from the outside world e.g.: humans or animals walking past etc. I kept to a routine for the water changes so that the fish got used to it and used to the times when there would be movement in "their" room. The rooms lights were never switched on, thus the need for the small low wattage lights over the breeding tanks.

Feeding as above continued throughout because the parents need the protein for their slim coats to feed the babies.

Once babies were free swimming, I hatched tons of baby brine shrimps in glass bottles - I used glass because it were easier to sterilize and keep clean than 2L coke bottles. As they got older I used to make a hard paste out of boiled egg yolk and crushed discus flakes which I then stuck small balls onto the glass. They loved this stuff!

I left the fry in with the parents for as long as possible. Just like human kids, fry learn a lot from their parents, including how to pick food off the bottom of the tank etc. I know there are some breeders who artificially raise the fry by removing the parents or the fry soon after hatching, but being the naturalist I am, I leave the babies in.

Once the babies reached a little bit bigger than a R2 coin in size I moved them to a 3ft raising tank and then later to a 5ft deep tank. I liked the deep tank because they grew nice a fast in there. Feeding them 8+ times a day and water changes 2 times a day.

With all the mission above, you need to ask yourself. Do you have the time for this? I used to get up 2 hours earlier to do the first water change of the day in the mornings and then did another 2 in the evenings. Preparation for the water changes, the cost of the food etc etc

Again, ask yourself do you have the time for this?

postrus likes this.
  3. Mastermamo

• APSA Member
    40%
    Thanks for your in depth explanation. It's greatly appreciated.
    If I don't have time I will make time but I want to try something different if/when a breeding pair emerges. Lets see what happens.

M

4. Duran1

Duran1 Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    53%
    mo was at Andrew 2day and hes got 2 pairs spawning and more pairing off..

worth the drive if you ask me... :thumbsup:

5. Mastermamo

• APSA Member
    40%
    2 of his and Dirks German stock are already spawning? Did u take pics. Damn if only I wasn't so busy

6. Kryo

Kryo Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    I got my one pair and a new pair busy spawning at the moment.

They can spawn away I'm not going to do the breeding thing again. Although I have tons more time on my hands than I used to, I'm just not up to the mission again... also my spare room is no more.

I've reached the stage where I'm just happy maintaining a planted tank and watching my Discus grow to all their glory!

7. Mastermamo

• APSA Member
    40%
    Can I get some pics. Would love to see

8. AmithS

AmithS Noob

• APSA Member
    90%
    Hello, where can the terracotta cones be found to purchase?