Some of my discus

Discussion in 'Discus' started by pHish_man, Oct 3, 2013.

1. pHish_man

pHish_man Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    53%
    lol, yes larch, you are quite correct........but then again, so is Peter. There is indeed a sump, and a couple of other goodies which make this tanks filtration what it is.

I guess i just over simplified what im using to maintain this tip top water quality.......

2. Luis Embalo

Luis Embalo Valued Contributor

• APSA Member
    23%
    Sorry, I did not think sump.. :) so I must be one of the few.. Trickle filter for me is something where the water goes in at the top, and then trickles to the bottom through media.. :) As his tanks are huge I was picturing something the size of a cupboard.

So, you use a sump.. ok, makes sense. :)

3. Luis Embalo

• APSA Member
    23%
    I really was thinking you had something like this.. :) hahaha
    [​IMG]

4. pHish_man

• APSA Member
    53%
    Hi Luis

Yip, I run a sump, no media then divert water flow through a trickle filter.

Trickle filters all look different, but in principle work the same way, so what you describe above is similar to what I do.

Come visit and you can check it out in person.

Andrew

5. gwhite

gwhite Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    53%
    I like the looks of that and would I be correct in saying that is pretty much the idea of how a canister filter works?

6. pHish_man

• APSA Member
    53%
    Hi Gareth

When you visit on Friday we can discus(s) this in detail, but in short, the fundamental difference between canisters and trickle filters is firstly, the available space for huge volumes of filter media, and secondly, the available access to oxygen supplies for your aerobic bacteria.

See you Friday.

Andrew

7. PJAL

PJAL Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    53%
    Hey Larch
    Your understanding of "trickle filter" needs modification boet. It's not your fault, the way large aquariums used to be designed they had this bio column built into one or both back corners - the water would cascade over the rear weirs and "trickle" through all the "bio" and then travel to the sump....... it's just that the name 'sump' fell away in some circles and the whole deal got called 'trickle filter' which is not the way to describe a sump at all. If you look at the diagram that Luis attached, just imagine bio - Matrix, Lava Rock, Noodles......... anything that bacteria will colonize instead of filter wool - then a series of spray bars, continually dripping water onto the layers of bio (In Andrew's set-up the layers altogether are < 30cm tall x 20cm wide and 60cm long) read lots of bio. They are never submerged. The water then pours from the base of the drip "bio" filter into the sump and from there, the up pump sends the water in two directions, some to the "trickle-bio-filter" and the larger part back to the aquarium. The way it is plumbed is to remove pump pressure from the bio column and let gravity do it's thing. The volume of water that passes through the drip filter every hour is determined by a specific calculation. Taps and valves help get this correct. As Andrew indicated, the bacteria get a decent dose of oxygen this way, so the aerobic bacteria become dominant. Hey Andrew - you have a fancy camera show the dudes bru!!

quinton likes this.
  8. gwhite

gwhite Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    53%
    Hi Andrew,

I look forward to our chat on Friday and look forward to some learning haha :thumb:

9. Luis Embalo

• APSA Member
    23%
    :) Thanks, I need to make a plan surely..

10. Dirk B

Dirk B Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    73%
    Hi Guys,

If I can chip in here again.

After starting to keep discus in 1988, the first major progress that I made was after visiting a number of discus breeders in Germany in 1990, amongst them the father of discus keeping, Dr Eduard Schmidt-Focke.

What I really came to realize then was the importance of adequate filtration, and I have run a very large and efficient trickle filter in my recirculating system ever since 1990 and that is the make or break of keeping discus in my mind. Now you can read as much as you want on forums and websites about this sort of thing, but you cannot really get an idea of how this must work before you actually see a system like this in real life. Andrew and I have now been working at getting his system optimally filtered with small adjustments time and time again, but this is now really working well, and then you can obviously see how well the fishes grow out and how they can then proceed to the next step which is possibly getting them to breed. So go and visit Andrew and have a look at the trickle filtration system please, you will certainly learn from this. The keeping of discus also does not have to be as expensive as it is made out to be all the time, you can actually put together a trickle filter relatively cheaply if you compare that to canister filter costs and the canister filters just simply cannot do the same filtration job that a large trickle filter can.

I have actually also decided that if we want to move the keeping of discus forward in South Africa, then we need to build a hard core of persons with the necessary expertise which can give solid advice and supply healthy fishes. Because Andrew stays close to me we could work together at achieving this and I am very happy that we are making significant progress if we are to gauge by Andrew's fishes.

Next step is to get the parafree fishes to adulthood and to then get them to breed......

Kind regards,

Dirk

quinton likes this.
  11. gwhite

gwhite Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    53%
    Hi Dirk,

Yours and Andrew's tips and advise are all greatly appreciated. I am passionate about keeping discus and learning from you and Andrew would be a great honor. Makes me now want to move to Somerset West haha! But yes it would be great idea to have a group of hard core persons with the necessary expertise which can give solid advice and supply healthy fishes even within Cape Town for starters. I myself would like to be part of that group as I would like to make my discus as much comfortable and happy as possible. The trickle filtration system sounds very good and I look forward to seeing how it works at Andrews spot.

Thanks

Gareth

12. Luis Embalo

• APSA Member
    23%
    I like Discus, and this thread is great..

I am is really interested in the trickle filter, that is really peaking my interest. We have been "brainwashed" into using canisters, but there is better out there.

I saw a trickle filter at the London Aquarium, the size of a double storey house, they were using sand in trays. I will need to ask them for the details on that.

13. pHish_man

• APSA Member
    53%
    Here the fry are at age day 30

[​IMG]

They are growing extremely well. What is interesting to note at this stage is that a portion of the batch are 9-bar fish and a portion are more than 9-bar ( snakeskin ) and that the 9-barred fish seem to be growing at a slightly quicker rate than the snakeskins. I will now try and count the different groups and see what sort of trend we get.

Andrew

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  14. Kryo

Kryo Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    Aaaah they are so cute! Brings back memories for me.

Beautiful babies you have there. I bet they are little characters of note!

15. pHish_man

• APSA Member
    53%
    Thanks Kryo

This is my fourth batch of fry now, but by far my most successful. Its been a great learning curve under Dirk's guidance and im now looking forward to larger spawns next season.

What strains of discus were you breeding if i may ask?

Andrew

16. Kryo

Kryo Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    Hi Andrew

I'm not breeding. I used to though, years ago before a tragedy struck and I decided to take a break and went into reefing.

Now I'm back with freshwater and of course Discus! I have no intention of breeding again though. I just want to enjoy my fish, which I am immensely! Nothing beats The King! LOL! I have two pairs already in my tank. One pair have spawned a few times but as expected in a community tank they ate their eggs.

I currently have 6 Discus and when the new tank arrives I intend on getting a few more. I'm just keeping my eye out for the colours I want, but knowing me I'll probably take any one that just says "PICK ME!" when I hold my finger to the glass! LOL!

Cher

17. pHish_man

• APSA Member
    53%
    Cool Cher

What strains were you breeding and how long ago was that? I have entered the hobby recently ( March last year ) and have only been exposed to these 'bont' mixes. My favourite that are in my tanks now are Dirk's Alencers.

Andrew

18. Kryo

Kryo Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    I had the following Pairs:

Super Red Melon
    Blue Turquiose
    Blue Diamond

I had couple of mixed coloured juvi's (mostly Pigeon Bloods) and few adults, in a big planted display tank.

And lastly, I had newly imported Wild Heckle juvi's I got from a guy in Holland. Took me two years of correspondence and a trip to Holland to get this guy to export to SA! They were all in a grow-out tank when tragedy struck and their tank exploded one morning. Nothing more heart breaking that having your beautiful and bloody expensive discus wash up on your feet, shredded to pieces from all the glass.

That's when I threw in the towel on breeding and Discus and went into reefing for a good few years.

So that's my trip down breeding lane!

19. pHish_man

• APSA Member
    53%
    Geez Cher thats devestating news man. Sorry to hear about that, it would break me too!!

Did you ever take photos of the Heckel Juvies before that incident? Is there a link here that i can check them out?

Andrew

20. Kryo

Kryo Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    I did take a lot of photos but sadly my son dropped the external hard drive whilst it was on, a few years back and I lost pics of him as a babe and all my fish tank pics. :BangHead: Tried getting the the hard drive recovered but the entire head and arm had gone through the disk.

No links on here unfortunately.