Solenoid - Replacing 2 pin with 3 pin plug

Discussion in 'D.I.Y.' started by Shl, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Shl

Shl Green fingers

• APSA Member
    9%
    Regarding the solenoid plug, would it be fine to cut off the 2 pin and replace with a 3 pin?

IMG_20180207_200538.jpg

2. f-fish+plants

f-fish+plants Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    73%
    Not sure what the legal's say about modifying electrical equipment, but willing to take a stab that house and life insurance does not pay on DIY'ers.

90% of my aquarium equipment does not have an earth - this has all sorts of funnies, most annoying on LED lights is that floating Live / Neutral nonsense that results in an afterglow and a never really off status of anything in the room if you only switch a single wire.

But after all of that - you are looking at the eu equivalent of our 3 pin plug

https://www.worldstandards.eu/electricity/plugs-and-sockets/

So plug type F vs our plug type M vs what is being punted as our new standard Type N.

Later Ferdie

Shl likes this.
  3. foo

foo Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    53%
    Not sure what you're on about Ferdie?

Rewiring the plug should be fine as long as you wire it correctly. Double check that you can identify the cables once cut (neutral and live) and then wire them to the correct side of the 3 point plug: http://www.eskom.co.za/AboutElectricity/ElectricityTips/Pages/Wiring_A_Plug.aspx
    (Obviously don't do this when plugged in, lol. Normal disclaimers apply! :flame:)

3 Point plugs are better IMO than these specific ones because people rarely use earthed adapters.

Paul, R.C. and Shl like this.
  4. Schalkv710

Schalkv710 Green fingers

• APSA Member
    51%
    Live and neutral does not matter with this plug. do you always plug a two prong plug in the same way around?

Two point prongs have alternating current.

Please I'm not trying to be funny or rude so don"t take it that way.

5. f-fish+plants

f-fish+plants Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    73%
    Read the original post - we are clearly confused about 2 pin and 3 pin power plugs. In this case if it was a 2 pin plug then the equipment is designed for operating with a floating ground. Lucky we are talking about 3 pin to 3 pin so we do not need to deal with what I describe 90% of my equipment in the fish room is - still worth saying that the 10% mix with an earth is a real problem if you now suddenly mix Neutral and Live or wire a 3 pin designed bit of equipment to not use its earth. Foo is correct if you have a device that has an earth - you need to ensure that your live and neutral is done correctly .. brown has a r so goes to the right - blue a l so to the left ... when you look at a device that does not have a cable just an indicator for N and L ... blue wire to the N i.e !N in blue (remember no cable) and brown the L i.e !L in brown.

Live and Neutral always matters on an earthed bit of equipment - assuming your extension cords and house wiring is on code.

As for the legal bits ... you might void warranty if you change the supplied plug. If you burn your house down because of your dodgy DIY wiring insurance will not pay if they find that you are to blame. Electrocution in a tank can easily be seen as an unnatural death deal with that as and when.

correct they are EU ...

this is not a two point plug .. it seems to be EU with an earth, now one would need to look at the wiring to see if the earth is actually connected on the other side.

Later Ferdie

6. foo

foo Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    53%
    Let me first state I am no expert, but let me try to explain as best I can.

You are partly correct. The AC device being powered will still work, but it would be unsafe. If you were, for example, to put a switch on the AC line, you should always put the switch on the Live line. This is because Live has a high potential and when touched and you are earthed, it can kill you. If you put a switch on Neutral, even with the switch in the off position, the Live wire at the point of contact with the device would be... well... Live!

To prevent this, it is important to always wire Live and Neutral correctly, because someone (or yourself!) could at a later stage assume you did so correctly and install a switch on the wrong line. (There could be more examples like this)

For more info, read this:
    https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/161879/by-touching-neutral-why-we-do-not-get-shock

and this:
    https://diy.stackexchange.com/questions/55719/is-switching-the-neutral-ok

As a general rule, please don't touch ANY of the AC mains wiring when switched on (including earth!) for this exact reason - you can never assume someone wired it correctly, or there could be a short circuit somewhere along the line.

EDIT: OK I am assuming a 3 point plug again in my answer. I would guess that for the 2 point plugs, you would use a switch that switches BOTH live and neutral wires for it to be safe.

7. Shl

Shl Green fingers

• APSA Member
    9%
    Damn! All I wanted was a Yes or No answer :laugh:

8. Shl

Shl Green fingers

• APSA Member
    9%
    I'll give you guys feedback as soon as I've cut it.

9. foo

foo Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    53%
    Hahaha nothing is ever simple in this hobby :tongue7: