Small white worms and swimming dots in my tank

Discussion in 'General Aquatic Talk' started by Mr_G, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Mr_G

Mr_G Green fingers

• APSA Member
    9%
    Good evening lady and gentlemen

Alittle back ground. I’ve moved to new house and kept some of my drift wood in the pond before setting up my new tank st the new house. No I’ve set up my tank 5 weeks back with clean tap water and did a 50% WC 2 weeks back
    I’ve got one fish and 4 shrimp in at the moment and never feed him except throwing a few misquote in every second day to give him something to chew on.
    It’s a 500liter tank. Temp is 22 degrees.
    Since yesterday I’ve noticed small white worms on the glass and small white dots that swims in a radical motion almost like blood worms. Last week for the first time in my life I’ve noticed bloodworms in my sump filter.

What can it be?

Don’t think it’s planaria as they are to small they about 3mm long and hair size diameters. So I assume it’s is Detritus coming from the pond.
    But what is the white dots swimming around? To small to take photo.

Has anybody ever had blood worms in there tank before? Breeding on the own without throwing live stock in?
    Can the white swimming things be baby bloodworms?

2. Hendre

Hendre Plant menace

• APSA Member
    77%
    White dots could be seed shrimp, they shouldn't be harmful in the tank.

Bloodworms are chromoid larvae, and will eventually turned into winged insects. Unfortunately the worms won't reproduce on their own. White worms could be some sort of detritus worms?

3. Norio De Sousa

Norio De Sousa Green fingers

• APSA Member
    9%
    Another option for white dots is cyclops. I have those and managed to concentrate on one long enough to get its shape. Researched it and found cyclops. Basically it's 3 circle. Two circles for "eyes" and one for the body. Except that the "eyes" are actually egg sacs and it has one eye on the opposite end :p

Watch your worms carefully. If they sit still and extend hair-like strands, then it's hydra. I have a bit of that. Doesn't seem to bother my shrimp and I think my chili rasbora will eventually eat 'em all.