Red spotted green

Discussion in 'Discus' started by smallfry, Oct 6, 2008.

1. smallfry

smallfry Noob

• APSA Member
    80%
    Notice how dark the Heckles can go!!! They can change their colour in a split second!!! :eek:

For all the people out there who think discus is to difficult to keep I can only say that from my experience with discus they are no more difficult to have than any other tropical fish.To keep them just for your pleasure in a display tank beats any other tropical fish hands down.Go for it!!! ;)

It's only if you want to breed and raise the fry that you are in for a lot of work and attention. It's a mental shift you have to make.Display and enjoy - or breed and be prepared to go the whole 9 yards...

2. Rowland

Rowland Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Absolutely beautiful! Well done with them!

3. Solex69

Solex69 Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Breath-taking....all I can say

What is the thin leafed red plant in pic 3? I've seen it many times before but don't know the name. It is a proper aquatic plant, right?

Cheers
    D

4. Andre

Andre Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    Very nice pictures of some awesome fish.The tanks all look very clean, so I am sure your fish are very happy.

5. wearsbunnyslippers

wearsbunnyslippers Administrator Staff Member

• Super Admin
    23%
    stunning!

where do you get your discus from? i saw you mentioned you got one from rowland...

6. smallfry

smallfry Noob

• APSA Member
    80%
    HI All

Sorry cant help with the name of the plant.All I know is when you happen to be lukky enough to find good strong healthy plants in a pet shop.BUY BUY BUY!!!Then slowly watch them disapear. :-\Then buy some more, much like pot plants in the house! ;)

I was luky enough to catch Rowland off guard and swindled 4 of his wilds from him! :D The blue one I got from Peter. I only have the 5 Discus in one 4 foot tank with a 3 foot sump.

All I do to keep them happy is age the tap water in a container out side. Then once a week or so I siphen off about two 25L buckets of water and top it up with the aged water. I dont heat the fresh water or throw it in slowly. It just gets dumped in the tank as is and the fish seem to like it that way!

Once or twice I notised some cloudy eye in the most sensitive fish(inverably when I was slacking with the water changes).All I did was some extra water changes and all's well again.

7. Rowland

Rowland Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Hey smallfry...a real credit to their keeper!!!

8. smallfry

smallfry Noob

• APSA Member
    80%
    HI Rowland.

I just whant people to realise that keeping discus is not such a difficult complicated task as some people make it out to be.By sticking to a few basic principals any one can enjoy these beautiful fish.

I wish there were more people keeping discus. Then there would be a bigger market and demand,wich will culminate in a bigger supply.More breeders would be the no1 prize but few people seem to have the time it demands!I would realy love to try my hand at breeding some time in the feature though.

Just a word of advise to any one thinking of starting a discus tank.Only talk to people who already have one!!!That does not include the salesperson in a petshop(unless they have their own tank at home!). :)

9. Dirk B

Dirk B Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    73%
    Smallfry,

I have kept discus now for the past twenty years and I want to say that you have perhaps had a good experience until now because you bought adult fish, and you bought fish from a reliable source, have good water in the Western Cape coming from your tap and under those circumstances discus are relatively easy to keep. It is when the problems start that things can go horribly wrong and I want to give a word of warning here. Problems such as caused by hole-in-the-head and internal parasites are common and are difficult to diagnose and treat.

Problems are also frequently encountered with young discus that have been mishandled prior, during and after transport. I do not know of a single dealer in South Africa that is really competent in keeping discus and the general public in SA therefore buys discus from poorly informed dealers all of which want to make a quick buck selling vast amounts of equipment and food. It is also for this very reason that there are not more people keeping discus, too many have burnt their fingers.

Your word of advice, i.e. to talk to someone keeping discus is correct, but they are still fish which can have an incredible amount of problems for no apparent reasons.

So, I wish you more successes with your fishes and I hope that everything continues to go well, but don't go rushing into buying discus folks, they are not that easy.

Kind regards,

Dirk

10. smallfry

smallfry Noob

• APSA Member
    80%
    Could not agree more.I still feel though that as you mentioned a lot of problems occur because of people and not because the fish are so difficult to keep!I kept discus in Gauteng with the same results.As long as you do not have to many fish and not a lot of new fish coming and going through your system they are just a pleasure to have. ;D