Re-Introduction (New 4-Foot)

Discussion in 'Please Introduce Yourself' started by Norio De Sousa, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Hendre

Hendre Plant menace

• APSA Member
    77%
    I like this enthusiasm! I'm busy in the process of rescaping my 60l, black Friday was too bad to pass up haha.

Now get some lights and get the horse going! Do you know if it's T5 or T8 bulbs?

2. Norio De Sousa

Norio De Sousa Green fingers

• APSA Member
    9%
    Obsession would be more accurate :p This is how I roll. I struggle to keep it under control. Luckily this is a "safe" and "fun" obsession. And I obsess about doing it right just as much as I obsess about doing it at all. So hopefully that'll help me not make TOO many silly mistakes!

I know what you mean! Poor wallet is bleeding, lifeless on my bedside cabinet. I have no use for it now ;)

No idea. How can I tell? Is the number an indication of the size of the bulb? I had a MUCH simpler setup in my 2-foot tank so there's a learning curve this time. (Plus I'm having to RE-learn all the stuff I learned before. I'm feeling constantly surprised by all the stuff I knew that I'd forgotten. Like @Dirk B 's druppels!)

3. Hendre

Hendre Plant menace

• APSA Member
    77%
    You sound like me! A 16 year old with 4l of water in his bedroom. Ah well haha, it keeps the money in a productive place. I had a birthday recently, otherwise I'm broke! Luckily planted can be cheap if you scour the right places :)

The light fittings or ballasts should give the tube size, there are ballasts right?

Druppels are awesome, love them. The mans tanks are awesome!

4. Norio De Sousa

• APSA Member
    9%
    Thanks to communities like these, it's a lot easier and cheaper than it would otherwise be!

I'll have a look. I did some Googling and learned a bit about the differences. Work's been hectic but maybe I'll be able to sort this stuff out on the weekend.

Totally agree. I had no problem growing plants with DSD. I also didn't have particularly difficult plants, which helps. I'll try aim for the same because I'm not keen to go down the CO2 route. Too much work for me :p

5. Norio De Sousa

• APSA Member
    9%
    Eish I'm getting disheartened here.

Turns out that Juwel tanks only fit their own bulbs. I might have to replace the whole light fitting or fork out for the Juwel bulbs each time.

I REALLY want a nice, neat, tidy tank in my lounge. But I also REALLY want awesome plants, lol!

6. Norio De Sousa

• APSA Member
    9%
    What do you guys think of Rams in this tank instead of Apistos?

7. Norio De Sousa

• APSA Member
    9%
    So here's my tank before the wood or plants or fishies.

tank.jpg
    filter.jpg

The substrate's a mess. Gonna try and make a pretty scape of some sort before I start planting. (The white stuff is "cycling" fish food I siphoned up this weekend.)

And so, ja, this weekend, I use'd @shihr's awesome water change hack to do the easiest water change I've ever done.

My setup is a bit different from his, though. I went to Builders and got plumber's tape, a hose tailpiece for my kitchen mixer and a clamp.

1. Then I added some plumber's tape to the tailpiece so it's a tighter fit inside the hose. (See attachment for a similar connector I found on Google. One I got was longer.)

2. Stuck the tailpiece inside the hose.

3. Clamped it. (Now one half of it looks like a normal washing machine hose, except that it's REALLY long.)

4. Unscrewed the kitchen mixer.

5. Screwed in my awesome new hose :D

As my first DIY "plumbing" job, I'm FLIPPING impressed and proud of myself, lol. I'm the worst at this stuff but, maybe, with age and guidance, I can do better now.

I'm also lucky that I had JUST the right length of "soft and squishy" garden hose to use for the job. The guy at Builders' (who told me how to make this hose) said to soak the end of the hose in boiling hot water before clamping it. So that it softens. I didn't need to do that but if you guys do it with "hard" garden hose, try that.

I didn't get anything to connect to the other end of the hose that goes in the tank. I'm thinking of just using pantyhose there. I'm likely getting some for the filter in any case as that's what I did before to protect my shrimp and fry from being gobbled up and spat out by my filter :p

*Excited!*

Oh and the wood is still leeching tannins like crazy. Might just get Purigen and call it a day. The only thing that was worrying me was Purigen soaking up my ferts but Seachem's website says it won't do that.

tailpiece.png

shihr likes this.
  8. Norio De Sousa

• APSA Member
    9%
    Whoops, here's the connector pic.

tailpiece.jpg

9. f-fish+plants

f-fish+plants Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    73%
    You did see that @shihr has 100ml purigen at a very good price at the moment? This stuff is crazy good at making your water crystal clear. His plants are also very affordable ( even without his ho ho ho special prices he is running at the moment) save your self the pain and get a few easy going plants that you can grow out. Get a few quick growers ( one needs volume to start) and then fill that in with some of the harder to grow types.

Later Ferdie

shihr likes this.
  10. Norio De Sousa

• APSA Member
    9%
    I did not, thank you! I've got some credit with a local LFS and he normally matches the prices I find. If he won't do that, I'm definitely getting Purigen from you, @shihr. That price is crazy good!

I *did* at least see this. I have like 3 plants in my BetterWeather shopping cart. Just waiting to see if my LFS will match the prices as he's down the road and owes me a pretty big credit. But into the future, I fully expect to order from @shihr and @Deadpool. Quality goods at REALLY good prices compared to the average local/online LFS! You guys are doing us a major service!

I've got a laundry list of easy plants already :p Starting off with some old favourites of mine (Bacopa Monnieri, Pygmy Chain Sword) and then trying some new ones (Subwassertang Moss, Water Wisteria). Just waiting to get my lights + plants from that same LFS. Getting impatient to be honest!

Thanks for the helpful reply, @f-fish+plants :D

11. f-fish+plants

f-fish+plants Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    73%
    Lol see @shihr spotted his error on the purigen ... hope somebody got the single bag that sold for the near wholesale price. Hope that was you @Norio De Sousa

12. Norio De Sousa

• APSA Member
    9%
    Hahaha, shame poor @shihr. I was wondering why it was so cheap! Nope, missed this entirely. But I wouldn't hold you to it either, @shihr.

13. Norio De Sousa

• APSA Member
    9%
    Update time :)
    • @Plantae got me:
      • Some Riccia, which I glued to the top of the coconuts.
      • 10 pygmy cories.
      • 10 boraras naevus. Will replace them this week with Brigittae this week.
      • 10 spotted blue eyes.
    • Got a second hand Eheim filter. Running quiet as a whisper. Once I've confirmed there's no leaks, I'll remove the internal filter.
    • From Pet a Pond on Lynnwood I got:
      • A pre-filter sponge, which I added to the Eheim.
      • A anubias barteri which I glued to a beatiful stone I had lying around.
    And I just bought the NEXT display tank, a Juwel Rio 180, for an absolute steal at R2500, including heater, filter, beautiful mopani and a few other goodies.

Oh and I moved my shrimp to my desk in an attempt to save them from my rosy loaches which were slowly tearing them apart! The Neon Tetras? No problem. Unpredictable hobby this :p

2018-02-11 18.37.47.jpg

14. Norio De Sousa

• APSA Member
    9%
    Oh I forgot!
    • Got some Blyxa Japonica, complete with some lovely BBA :p Going to spot treat that with Liquid Carbon soon.
    • And some Susswassertang from @Deadpool who also supplied me sponge filters, catappa leaves, and breeding pipes for the shrimp on my desk.
    • And my wife and I are making a "riccia" hammock for her betta. She crocheted the hammock, I glued on the riccia trimmings and we're growing it out in my tank.
    • Oh and I suddenly have a crapload of snails. Mostly ramshorn although there's another "teardrop" shell snail I haven't tried to identify and I added some malaysian trumpets to aerate the substrate a bit. And coz they look cool. And they were free :p

15. Norio De Sousa

• APSA Member
    9%
    Update: I bought a LOT of fast-growing, easy plants from @shihr at BetterWeather.co.za and re-planted my tank. Removed almost everything and started from the back, planting forwards.

The wood is now suspended from the light fixture. I'm going for a "low branch in a jungle stream" look :D

My takeaway from this experience: I've gotta say, once you know how to work with planting forceps, there's just no other way to do it. I had to "open" mine a bit so that when I "let go", it would open and leave the stem alone. Once I did that, it became sooo much easier to plant. The first row at the back of the tank is easy but, thereafter, it gets really difficult if you're using your fingers!

Here are the plants:

plants.jpg

And, without further ado, here's the transformation:

Before:

2018-02-21 19.48.52.jpg

And after:

2018-02-21 19.48.52-1.jpg

I'm now waiting for the submerged growth. Gonna look waaaay different once that's happened.

shihr, rsa, Clappies and 1 other person like this.
  16. shihr

shihr Administrator Staff Member

• Super Admin
    23%
    very nice! thank you for the order :)

17. Norio De Sousa

• APSA Member
    9%
    Thanks for the awesome plants! They're growing like wildfire.

I've been trimming and re-planting quite a bit already. And the corkscrew is already sending out runners. Got 2 or 3 I can snip off and give to the missus for her tank. Love it :D

18. Hendre

Hendre Plant menace

• APSA Member
    77%
    I may just order some more and try again! It's great that you're already getting runners :)

19. Norio De Sousa

• APSA Member
    9%
    Yeah I'm really chuffed. I think the lights help. Also I'm using ferts (was using Seachem Flourish but I'm using Scape Complete as of the last water change this weekend). And I put in osmocote root capsules. So far... very good growth on everything. Even my anubia is pushing out new roots all over the friggin' show!

Hendre likes this.
  20. Norio De Sousa

• APSA Member
    9%
    Quick update:
    • Hoping some plants at the front will get the rosy loaches and pygmies to "come out and play" a bit more.
      • Added some MC up front.
      • Added some HM to the sides and sort of "midground".
    • Moved the light to the front to help the MC to grow.
    • Split up the anubia and put it in some lower-light areas of the tank.
    • Suction-cupped some pieces of wood to the back of the tank.
    • Tucked in some anubias and windelov in those.
    • Added my PVC shrimp caves.
      • They're drilled full of holes and have java moss and süsswassertang in them. Hoping they'll grow nicely and not look quite as ugly as they do now.
      • If they don't grow much moss on the sides, I'll maybe tuck in some more windelov there. I have a lot.
    • Got tired of seeing my "leggy stems" so I added a single crypt in the shadows to see if it'll grow. Slowly doing something. I have a lot more I can add if that works.
    Everything's growing quite nicely. Gonna try add DIY CO2 today and see what it does over the coming days/weeks.

tank-update.jpg

Innocent159 and Hendre like this.