Re-Introduction (New 4-Foot)

Discussion in 'Please Introduce Yourself' started by Norio De Sousa, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Norio De Sousa

Norio De Sousa Green fingers

• APSA Member
    9%
    We've just moved houses and, since I last had fish over 6 or 7 years ago, I've really missed them.

Back then, I had a 2-foot tank with lots of plants, guppies, shrimps, snails and a single albino cory.

I moved the tank out of my office and into our lounge which is when things went south. We didn't spend much time in the lounge and the tank got neglected.

Tragedy struck when I over-compensated with some chemicals (stupid!) for an algae overgrowth I had and I ended up killed everything off. I was sad when the shrimp and guppies died but devastated when my cory died. I unplugged everything and got rid of it all.

Well now I'm back and really keen to get a heavily planted tank going. I got a second-hand Jewel 4-foot tank plus cabinet on the weekend. Really excited to get it all set up beautifully again.

I know I want LOTS of plants. But I haven't decided on fish at all. Here's what I'm considering:

OPTION 1:

Lots of small schooling fish. All sorts of tetras, 1 or 2 schools of cory, and if I can keep them alive, a bunch of otos. (Haven't managed before but I do love them.)

OPTION 2:

6-8 Dwarf puffers. I've read they go well with otos and virtually nothing else because they nip the heck out of everything else in the tank.

Honestly, they're cute as heck but they seem like too much work. Cleaning up after them after every feed doesn't sound fun.

I was considering separating the tank into a top and bottom split, and having cories in the bottom level, eating the leftover food from the dwarf puffers. I really love cories and hate the idea of having a tank without them. (Obviously they'd get their own food, too!)

OPTION 3:

Dwarf cichlids. Kribs or something? Maybe just 1-2 pairs so they can have their territories to defend WITHOUT leaving the tank so empty. Not sure if I can add a school of tetras in to make the tank a bit more lively.

Anyhow, the long-term goal is to have a fun tank to look at without a sh1t-ton of work. Weekly changes at the maximum. I can easily tend to the tank a little each day during my lunch break coz I work from home.

Any thoughts and ideas to help me along here?

As for plants, I loved my grass like plants, my mosses and a couple other species that I can trim into interesting spaces for my fishies to swim in. Definitely will be investing in better plant-maintenance equipment this time around. I was way too cheap about it all before :p

Looking forward to this journey with your help!

2. Sico

Sico Green fingers

• APSA Member
    51%
    Personally I'd go for option 1 with tetras, but then I'm a sucker for an Amazonian jungle full of life.

3. Norio De Sousa

• APSA Member
    9%
    Yeah I'm liking this option a lot myself. Main reasons are:

1. It'll look NICE. Very alive, like you said.
    2. It'll be way easier. Don't really need to do a lot to keep tetras happy.
    3. I won't get as attached to individual fish (other than the cories) with this set up. Same can't be said for the dwarf puffers or cichlids.

4. Sico

Sico Green fingers

• APSA Member
    51%
    Yes! All those reasons!
    and then you have one of these (image opens really large)
    [​IMG]

5. Deadpool

Deadpool Algae destroyer Staff Member

• APSA Member
    • Sponsor
    73%
    4foot wont be large enough for multiple pairs, specially not if you looking at apistos...

You can still incorporate Option 1 & 3 together...tetras, cories & apistos are all south american. As both the cories and apistos (less so than cories) prefer the bottom half of the tank, make sure you elevate one or two areas a little and provide cover (coconut, rocks, etc) providing an area for the female to feel safe and the male to patrol. Elevating it a touch would in theory mean the apistos would inhabit the area instead of the cories...

6. Hendre

Hendre Plant menace

• APSA Member
    77%
    Sounds awesome! Welcome back!

I've wrapped my 4ft around my oddball fish, polypterus african knife fish and snakeskin gouramis with some large wood pieces and floating plants, most would disagree with me keeping larger fish but I'm more "fish with plants" than "plants with fish". ;)
    The flexibility of a 4ft is grand and it sounds like your options are set!

What would be nice is rainbowfish, cories and otos possibly. @Pierré Schoonraad has some amazing rainbows in his one tank. Splendid colours :)

Amazon jungle also sounds good. @Joshua Tree has a good example of some nice SA fish and such.

For low maintenance that's my game haha, if you want some mediocre inspiration here's my tank: 1511792521593-1403347527.jpg
    A bad photo of the tank but I like the greenery :)

Also, as for algae. My cleanup crew consists of a credit card, kitchen sponge and toothbrush. Otos would be cool but are too expensive for feeders :oops:

Welcome back and best of luck!

7. Norio De Sousa

• APSA Member
    9%
    Are they that aggressive? No experience with cichlids yet, so no idea.

Oooh I like this idea, thank you!

8. Norio De Sousa

• APSA Member
    9%
    Thanks!

Yeah it was always an issue with a 2ft — I couldn't really "play" much. Also, everyone says the bigger tanks are more stable.

Great job :) How long you been running it?

9. Deadpool

• APSA Member
    • Sponsor
    73%
    They fine with other fish...they dont even look twice at something as small as CPD's...but they very aggressive to their own kind, specially when a pair wants to spawn.

10. Norio De Sousa

• APSA Member
    9%
    Ooooh purdy!

11. Norio De Sousa

• APSA Member
    9%
    Oh I see! I was thinking of mixing breeds. Like 1 pair apistos, another kribs? Or something? Can that work? I guess the romantic in my likes the idea that each little "family" can have their own little story in my tank :D

12. Deadpool

• APSA Member
    • Sponsor
    73%
    No...keep to one type of dwarf. You just looking for trouble if you start mixing, not only because of aggression issues...but also since they all want different parameters. Rams = Higher temps (HIGH 20's close to 30), Kribs = harder water, Apistos = Softer water, Dicrossus = Low pH

Think of their locality...and you can figure out what water they want. Kribs are from Africa anyway...so throwing your SAmerican (Tetra/cory) biotope completely out of whack

13. Norio De Sousa

• APSA Member
    9%
    Thanks! This is all highly valuable info that'll save me some pain :D

So it looks like I'll be doing: tetras, cories & apistos.

One of my favourite plants to keep, other than the mosses and gross, was Bacopa Monnieri. That a good option here?

14. Hendre

Hendre Plant menace

• APSA Member
    77%
    I think the main stability is temperature, and maybe less ammonia if something does but that's pretty moot with a well established filter.

The tank has only underwent serious planting this year. I'm slowly easing into it :)

A little tip I got from @Dirk B is using gu10 downlighters, mix a 5/6w white with a 2.5w red and use a pair for every 30cm of tank or so. Works on his tanks and busy implementing it on mine :D

15. Norio De Sousa

• APSA Member
    9%
    Damn, that's clever! And I imagine highly efficient what with them being downlighters. No wasted light.

Only thing stopping me from doing that is that this tank has a "standard" light fitting (the 2 tubes on either side) and I'm the last person to do DIY. If I had someone to mentor me every step of the way, I'd do it. But I just didn't grow up doing this kind of stuff so it's so hard and I get so irritated with it :p

Like for example I'm 100% jealous of @Deadpool's awesome cabinet builds. They're beautiful but I wouldn't even think of trying that. If only I could use PHP programming for building cabinets :D ;) :p

16. Norio De Sousa

• APSA Member
    9%
    I've just measured the tank and it's a far-cry from an average 4-footer. Looks like it's 135 litres, max.

You guys have seen what livestock I want. Can I safely house those in this? Really don't wanna over-stock and end up with constant water-quality issues and dead fish.

17. Hendre

Hendre Plant menace

• APSA Member
    77%
    Corys and tetras! You could easily fit that, I have 5 corys and 8 glowlight tetras in my 60l with no issues. You could probably triple that with a well planted tank :)

18. Norio De Sousa

• APSA Member
    9%
    Awesome @Hendre, thanks! :)

I hope to also get a breeding pair of apistos from @Deadpool in 2-3 months when his babies are ready. Super excited! But now I need to calm down coz I still need to fix the lights, aeration and filtration. None of which is working properly. Arghhh!

19. Hendre

Hendre Plant menace

• APSA Member
    77%
    Yes probably best to get that working... By the way @shihr is the best with plant portions! Got 14 big and 6 small bacopa stems for R10 on his sale, and a monster windeløv fern. Definitely worth trying :)

20. Norio De Sousa

• APSA Member
    9%
    Thanks! I was on their site already and added some Bacopa and another thing to my cart. Then I remembered I don't have lights! Whoops :p

Cart in front of the horse, here ;)

shihr likes this.