Professional Aquarium CO2 Dual Stage Regulator and Solenoid Magnetic Valve

Discussion in 'Planted Tank Equipment' started by JP01, Apr 27, 2014.

1. JP01

JP01 Moderator Staff Member

• Global moderator
    73%
    What do you guys think of the below Regulator, now with CO2 Art offering free shipping it becomes more viable to order it @R.C. Dual stage and pressure adjustable at 60 pounds is R1080 excl taxes.

http://www.co2art.co.uk/products/aquarium-co2-dual-stage-regulator-and-solenoid-magnetic-valve

Professional Aquarium CO2 Dual Stage Regulator and Solenoid Magnetic Valve

This regulator minimise increase in output pressure as pressure drops in gas cylinder and will prevent end-tank-dump.

• Quality design and construction achieves excellence in control.
    • Integrated 220-240V Solenoid (Magnetic) Electrical Valve (suit 220-220V electricity supply).
    • Adjustable working pressure up to 5 bar (will let you run more than one diffuser)
    • Dual gauge pressure indicators (tank volume and flow pressure / working pressure)
    • Industrial-grade Precision Needle Valve.
    • Innovative design provides extreme accuracy, dependability, and extended service life.
    • As pressure drops in the gas cylinder, our regulators are designed to minimise the resulting increase in outlet pressure, thus resulting in reduced gas costs, reduced cylinder handling, and improved accuracy.
    • Compatible with various size of CO2 Cylinders (from 12 oz to 20-lb).
    • The thread is made according to UK, Europe, Japan and Taiwan standard (DIN477 / W21.8-14 / JIS m22-14), 22mm in diameter.
    Carbon Dioxide is introduced into the planted aquarium ecosystem though the use of a CO2 regulator. The regulator is designed to reduce the high pressure inside of a CO2 cylinder to a lower, usable pressure that can be dispensed into the aquarium. During photosynthesis, plants use carbon dioxide and water, combined with light energy, to produce oxygen and sugars. We specialize in CO2 regulators for the planted tank. Our custom CO2 regulators are designed, built, and tested to surpass the highest standards in CO2. Our regulators feature high-performance solenoids and bubble counters to achieve excellence in performance. Our team is always working hard to ensure that we provide our customers the best possible CO2 equipment, we stand behind our equipment. We are confident that our CO2 regulators and systems rise above the competition, see the difference for yourself.

2. f-fish+plants

f-fish+plants Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    73%
    Do you really want to ship with no tracking ?

There are 3 shipping rates available for 2194, Gauteng, South Africa, starting at $0.00.

• Free Economy Shipping 5-25 Days (No Tracking Available) at $0.00
    • Priority Shipping 3-10 Days (No Tracking Available) at $5.02
    • Express Shipping 2-5 Days (Tracked) at $50.41

3. JP01

• Global moderator
    73%
    CO2 Art is uk so not $ but £ so the express shipping will double the price, much the same shipping method as the hong kong shipping and never had a problem, sure takes time.

4. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Valued Contributor

• APSA Member
    23%
    Would you say it's better than the A-164 Up Aqua? :icon_study:

5. JP01

• Global moderator
    73%
    From what they state I would say yes

6. JP01

• Global moderator
    73%
    Current pricing is also almost identical, this reg is a dual stage.

7. Joshua Tree

• APSA Member
    23%
    Nice!

Is anybody running a CO2 art reg on forum?

8. f-fish+plants

f-fish+plants Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    73%
    My bad .. I had it on the $ price currency

There are 3 shipping rates available for 2194, Gauteng, South Africa, starting at £0.00.

• Free Economy Shipping 5-25 Days (No Tracking Available) at £0.00
    • Priority Shipping 3-10 Days (No Tracking Available) at £2.99
    • Express Shipping 2-5 Days (Tracked) at £30.00
    At least with hong kong and china post you get a tracking number even with the free shipping.

9. JP01

• Global moderator
    73%
    Will email them to get more info on the shipping.

10. R.C.

R.C. Moderator Staff Member

• Global moderator
    23%
    I had a look at it a few weeks back and it's definitely not a typical dual stage. A true 2 stage reg would have a secondary chamber and diaphragm, which generally make them much larger in size and very much more expensive.

It also has the same budget needle valve as the other kit (as well as budget solenoid), which from both on and off site reviews suggest that it's not as claimed. If however you have never used a better than average hobby grade needle valve, you'd probably not miss much.

That said, it is a pressure adjustable (up to 5 bar) and at that price it's very tempting, but personally I know I'd be replacing the needle valve and solenoid. Just because I've grown use to better.

"Fast delivery excellent service Like any cheap needle valve, the adjustment is not fine enough"

11. JP01

• Global moderator
    73%
    Thanks for the reply R.C!

12. Joshua Tree

• APSA Member
    23%
    @R.C. - Given the choice of this reg or the A-164 Up Aqua, which would you go for?

13. R.C.

• Global moderator
    23%
    I had a friend in the UK come back to me on this reg. It is as I suspected not the typical dual stage of build and quality that we would associate with the likes of Swagelok, Matheson etc., but it does have a first (high to mid) and a second (mid to low) pressure chamber. What this means is that it would indeed lower risk of EOTD and allow you to run cylinder empty and so squeezing out that last bit of CO2 gas before refilling or swapping out cylinders. They also do have on offer an inline Comozzi (Italy) flow controller if you find the on reg needle valve not to liking, but that's an extra 14 pounds.

I'd bet my money on this one, hoping that it's the affordable "dual stage" we've been waiting for all this time. Only time will tell how well it holds up, but it certainly appears to be better (on paper at least) than any hobby grade kit we have locally. You guys want to do a group buy? I want to try out that new atomizer too.

For reference:

Matheson 3813 Dual Stage 60psi 316 Stainless Steel
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Swagelok Stainless Steel Vernier Handle - SS-2MA4-MH needle valve

14. Joshua Tree

• APSA Member
    23%
    Ummm. That's not in the same league at all. Very nice but it sold for $450 on the BarrReport. :cool:

Now, in the R1000-R1500 what's the best we can do?

15. R.C.

• Global moderator
    23%
    Locally? We'v got the new TUNZE (decent needle and over pressure valve) at R1290. That's however without solenoid, but you can get very good solenoids for between R650 - R1300 locally and then the average hobby grade ones, such as from Reef Tek for R290 if I recall correctly.

...and that was third hand, not that it really matters. Those reg's are made to last many a life times.

16. Joshua Tree

• APSA Member
    23%
    Guess I'll be getting another Up Aqua ;)

17. R.C.

• Global moderator
    23%
    Well, both the A-164 and A-165 models from UP Aqua proves to be good average hobby kit for the money, but as JP mentioned, they cost about the same as this kit. Would be nice to have more user experience with this "Professional Aquarium CO2 Dual Stage Regulator". I'm very temped, but will have to start selling some of the hordes of CO2 paraphernalia I got lying around. ;D

18. R.C.

• Global moderator
    23%
    So, I've been playing with these reg's for a bit. Got the new SMC needle valve upgrade on Friday, which unfortunately got damaged in transit. I've never been much of a fan of these push type fitting, but did not realize just how fragile these valves really are. Not very wise of him to ship it with the bubble counter fitting connected or even with the valve fitted. I will ask him to rather ship the reg completely disassembled with each part wrapped in bubble wrap and have me assemble it. Anyhow, guess I'm off to FESTO next week to get a replacement.

IMG_8039b.jpg IMG_8052b.jpg

The reg does exactly what it claims on paper. It however definitely falls within the budget class, particularly the stock needle valve, solenoid and gauges, but does look kinda nice. I'm not a fan of the general layout of the reg though, the solenoid I feel gets in the way with the power cord a nuisance to try and reroute and since the solenoid is on reg, it makes it somewhat difficult to remove the armature tube if need replacing. Definitely not something the average hobbyist would want to attempt. So, yeah, I'm somewhat in two minds about this one. But on a more positive note, I now have the standard single stage preset on stock and think they alright value for money. Will start testing next week to make sure all is good.

19. Joshua Tree

• APSA Member
    23%
    Thanks. Watching...

20. R.C.

• Global moderator
    23%
    So, all of the budget single stage preset reg's were sold pretty quick. With the second shipment Karol was kind enough to send me a replacement SMC needle valve to test. Aside from its fragile nature, it's actually a very nice valve, capable of dialing down to around one bubble per every ten seconds.

Of course you guys probably know me by now for scrutinising flaws in design of product and well, there is one more that I forgot to mention. Just as a heads up to anyone considering this reg. The stem of cylinder connector is too short to attach regulator in the traditional position. If mounted in this way, the wheel valve can not be opened as the high pressure gauge is right up against it. You have to attach it in the horizontal position with gauges facing upwards. This could be an issue if one want to place kit in low cabinet, as the gauges are then facing up. It can be slightly angled, but there's really not much clearance. Another issue is that one can then also not use an on reg bubble counter if mounted this way. Minor inconvenience, but still...

CO2ARTDUAL.jpg CO2ARTDUAL2.jpg

Ivan and JP01 like this.