Pond Redone

Discussion in 'Aquascaping and Member's Setups' started by GDJ, Apr 16, 2007.

1. GDJ

GDJ Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    I have this pond and it's been bugging me for a while now so on Sunday afternoon I did not have very much to do and mother in law was there for the weekend so I tried to keep busy.

The plan was to make a nice water feature in our braai room, the room also doubles as my wife's painting studio and apparently the sound of flowing water is very conducive to the creative process.

I built a structure inside the pond using normal bricks. The plan was to build a structure with a plant box that's above water level and then two steps down one basically at water level and one about 10cm below the water level. Water sprayed over the steps to create a riverlike flowing water sound

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was when I hit the first snag. If I built a plant box at the top using only bricks the weight of the soil inside and the roots of the plants will push it apart.
    So we will use two big square planters at the top instead of the initial plan. I still have to go and get the planters, however we placed our plants in their existing pots just to see what it would look like and here is the result.

[​IMG]

I put in a pump and it constantly pumps water over the rocks in the pic below. this creates the flowing water effect the wife wanted.

[​IMG]

The plan is to grow moss, anubius and some crypts on this section.

It still needs a lot of plants and work but this is the porgress so far anmy advice would be really appreciated.

This also has quite a big open water section (Filter installed) that will be populated by fish at some point but I have no idea what so any suggestions there will also be appreciated.

2. d3tained

d3tained Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Looking good!!