Please Help - Discus problem

Discussion in 'Discus' started by Nicolaas Nel, Aug 30, 2006.

1. Philip

Philip Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Nicolaas
    The Heuy Hung range has now become unobtainable, because of the chemicals used in them.
    all the powder chemicals used to compose this excellent product may not be imported into SA. New government regulations.

What i would suggest with reference to your discus, firstly how big are they? The reason why i ask, because if they are bred at a too young age there growth stops and the amount of fertile eggs will be very few. Are your discus eating and are you giving them a varied diet. Prof. D . Bellstedt will assist you in this matter .

2. Nicolaas Nel

Nicolaas Nel Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Hi Phillip,

If you go to my "introduction as a new member" posting - "So you want to see my setup"!
    Scroll down to the pic where you will see the 4 Discus's I still have. Maybe you could posotively identify them for me! As I said, the bigger "brown's" are about 15cm dia. and the "Blue's" are about 10cm dia. they seem to eat okay, I feed them Tropical Bits & Bloodworm (which I rinse after thawing out) and that "Ostrich steak recipe" which was posted some time ago, but they (the Discus) don't seem over eagerly to eat it, the other fish go wild chasing it around.

3. Dirk B

Dirk B Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    73%
    Hi Nicolaas,

I had a look at your pics that you previously posted and the two discus that you see from the side are wild-caught green discus. They are not brown discus. The one other fish that I see looks like a turquoise hybrid of some sorts.

If I am to make some sort of a comment about their condition then I would say that they are pretty underfed. From the diet you describe, bits and blood worm, I am not surprised. I will post an article on discus feeding soon as I can see that there is a need for this.

Although Philip has suggested medication, that should be a last resort in discus keeping and in most instances causes more problems than good, so be careful. Most problems in discus keeping come from keeping them in circumstances that are not suitable and not from disease. The disease then appears as a result of the poor conditions.

Kind regards,

Dirk