Plants in a cold pond

Discussion in 'The Nursery' started by Chongkie, Jun 19, 2014.

1. Chongkie

Chongkie Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    23%
    Was wondering if it is possible to plant aquatic plants in a koi pond that is in the Free state.

Reason why I ask is because my parents have a double tiered koi pond, up in the Free State. The Koi are all in the lower tier, and the upper tier has some water cress and other plants in it, but they don't thrive because of the cold weather in winter. Wanting to make the top tier a "bog" effect or natural filter. It gets almost full sunlight.

The pond already has a massive 3 compartment sump with one of those pool filters as a prefilter.

It gets insanely cold there (Harrismith), and was wondering if I use my current tank plants, if they will survive?

Also, what recommendation of plants would you choose? I was thinking, hardy plants like Swords, Vallis and Java ferns, but do you think they can endure the cold water? Which other plants do ok (survive) in the cold? Crypts?

2. Shaun

Shaun Plant menace

• APSA Member
    10%
    I live in bloem and would rather not try doing that. Remember that most of our plants come from the tropics and as such I do not think that they will take the cold very well.

3. Chongkie

Chongkie Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    23%
    Yeah I get that. I have plants just a bucket of water standing outside here in Hilton. The emmersed growth dies from the cold but the submerged part is still alive and well. So im guessing when summer time comes, it will grow like mad. Will just have to try and see.

4. Shaun

Shaun Plant menace

• APSA Member
    10%
    That would be interesting go for gold!