Planted Tank Newbie

Discussion in 'Please Introduce Yourself' started by Zaheer, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Deadpool

Deadpool Algae destroyer Staff Member

• APSA Member
    • Sponsor
    73%
    Tropica had two (but it's not being imported into SA anymore as far as I know)...and I say AGAIN...don't over think this!!!!! If you have a low tech tank...with low light...and you dose an all-in-one fert...you ARE GOING TO run into algae issues!!

I'm just trying to save you some heart ache in the future...all my display tanks are low tech...and I don't dose ferts (only when I notice a deficiency)...the fish supply enough.

• Low tech (low CO2) + low light + low ferts = slow, but balanced plant growth.
    • Low tech + high light + low ferts = unbalanced. Nutrients and CO2 is not enough for the excess light = plants will grow yes, but will have algae issues
    • Low tech + low light + high ferts = unbalanced. Plants are limited by limited light and CO2, excess nutrients will result in algae boom
    • High tech (presurized CO2) + high light + high ferts = fast & balanced growth
    • High tech + high light + low ferts = unbalanced. Not enough nutrients in tank to have an equilibrium with lights and CO2. Algae will take over
    • High tech + low light + high ferts = unbalanced. Plants don't have enough light to utilise the excess light and nutrients for proper photosynthesis. Excess nutrients will result in algae boom
    The "Rule of thirds" are often spoken about in planted tanks...and people mostly think it's about the placement of hardscape and plants in a scape. And yes...it is...but thirds mean a lot more in planted tanks than just scaping. Lights, nutrients and CO2 should also be seen as a whole package...and you wont find optimum growth if there is an excess or limit to one of those (nevermind two)

SCAPE products are cheap (R150 a bottle each for Carbon, N, P, K and Trace). So my advise...set up your tank and plant. Only after a few weeks will you notice what your plants need...then buy some and dose accordingly.

Just my 2 cents ;)

RoGe, Zaheer, Joshua Tree and 3 others like this.
  2. Zaheer

Zaheer Noob

• APSA Member
    90%
    Thank you so much. Your explanation couldn't have been better :)

Deadpool likes this.
  3. RoGe

RoGe Green fingers

• APSA Member
    51%
    Thanks for the post @JAX , now another question from another planted tank newbie... After letting them settle for a few weeks as you mentioned, how does one identify what your plants need? Is there a nice resource that you can point us to that says "If your plants look like this, then they need more of X. If your plants look like that, then they need more of Y"? I get the feeling that a lot of it comes from experience, and that the signs can be different for each species of plant..?

Zaheer likes this.
  4. Deadpool

Deadpool Algae destroyer Staff Member

• APSA Member
    • Sponsor
    73%
    When you notice your leaves turning yellow, or holes appear on them, etc...a post here on APSA or even a quick google search will 9 times out of 10 give you an accurate answer...

...but if you want a "list" of deficiencies, here's a (somewhat) comprehensive checklist ;)

http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/deficiencies.htm

Hope that's what you where looking for @RoGe

Zaheer likes this.
  5. RoGe

RoGe Green fingers

• APSA Member
    51%
    Thanks for the link @JAX , it's something that will point my googling in the right direction...

Zaheer likes this.
  6. A.W.O.L

A.W.O.L Green fingers

• APSA Member
    9%
  7. RoGe

RoGe Green fingers

• APSA Member
    51%
    Aha, nice stickies! Thanks guys..