Plant newbie

Discussion in 'Aquascaping and Member's Setups' started by dart, May 1, 2007.

1. dart

dart Green fingers

• APSA Member
    9%
    Hi all,

I've always loved plants in my aquarium but I've only very recently started to get serious about plants. This forum has been fantastic so far, I've learned quite a bit. I've also realised how much more there is to learn!

Here is my tank at the moment.

[​IMG]

I think I have a Magnesium deficiency. I'm looking into that now (I've just started a thread http://www.apsa.co.za/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=13517#p13517 about the problem.

I'm using DIY CO[sub]2[/sub], PMDD and Easylife Profito for micros. I've got a 220 litre tank. I've just installed a DIY light hood to hold 6 cool white compact fluorescent lights and 3 T8 fluorescent tubes. So I now have about 3 watt per gallon.

Here is the hood
    [​IMG]
    as you can see it is very DIY :)

The plants are doing well (lots of pearling!) though I'm still looking everywhere for carpet and foreground plants. I'd also like to try grow Java moss all the way up the inlet pipe on the left, that should make it a whole lot less ugly.

Anyway let me know what you think

Andre

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. City bowl

City bowl Noob

• APSA Member
    Looks good but the plants in the foreground on the right are I think hemigraphis colorata, not true aquatics and will only last a few months, are are possibly the plants infront of the pipe on the left, another spieces of hemigraphis. :)

3. ivansa

ivansa Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Looking good Andre!

4. HellRaiser

HellRaiser Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    The tank looks great man, well done!

5. dart

dart Green fingers

• APSA Member
    9%
    The photo looks a little better than my tank actually does. Still I'm happy with it so far :)

Damn LFS! I suspected the plants in front of the pipe, but not the ones in the foreground on the right.

I'll post more images in a few months. Hopefully it will look a whole lot better by then.

6. dart

dart Green fingers

• APSA Member
    9%
    I’ve changed my tank quite a bit since the last photo. I’ve removed the rocks and the non-aquatic plants. I also removed the giant vallis, the swords and the java fern. So my tank does look a little emptier but I have some plants I’d been looking trying to get for a while.

I’m still having problems with staghorn but it does seem to be getting better. Hopefully it will be gone or at least under control in the next few weeks.

Anyway here is the latest pic

[​IMG]

Any comments on the layout? Any suggestions? I’m not thrilled with the rocks in the centre at the back, they are placed a little too artificially. I think they will look better when the plants start to cover them though.

The plants I’ve now got

[​IMG]

1 - Limnophila sessiliflora
    2 - Java moss
    3 - Limnophila aquatic. Not as leggy as the L sessiliflora but I think I’d like to try Cabomba caroliniana and the red Cabomba
    4 - Hygrophila polysperma. I seem to have trimmed this a bit too harshly as it does not want to grow upwards anymore :). It grows at an amazing rate and I need trim it at least once a week.
    5 - Rotala rotundifolia. Emersed when I bought it. It is now starting to grow nicely. I think I’m really going to like this plant.
    6 - Glossostigma elatinoides. Also starting to grow nicely. Still a long way to forming a carpet but it’s a start.
    7 - Echinodorus tenellus. Not doing too well... There is some black algae on it but I’ve just noticed some new growth today so maybe I’ll be lucky.
    8 - Anubias
    9 - No idea but I really like this plant. I’ve just replanted it and I may have put too many stems together...
    10 - Vallis
    11 - Ceratopteris thalictroides, I think. Quite a messy plant but it is starting to look a little better.
    12 - Bacopa monnieri, I think
    13 - Not sure, perhaps Mayaca fluviatilis. This was very badly damaged when I first got it but it is growing now.
    14 - No idea.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  7. Cameron

Cameron Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    Woohoo :0 Awesome looking tank. The plants are looking bright and healthy!

The rocks are dwarfed anyway, the plants grab your attention much more than they do. Cover them in moss and bring to the front or else just remove them. IMHO i would recommend a nice solid bit of hardscape to break up the composition. Perhaps a chunk of wood would look awesome in your tank? Cover it with moss too.

Nice one!

PS. the plant behind the rocks could be Hygrophila Polysperma.

8. Discus

Discus Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Looking awesome!

I'm a big fan of bogwood in tanks. Must be all those years of keeping amazon-type fish :)

9. dart

dart Green fingers

• APSA Member
    9%
    Thanks guys,

Good idea, I'll give it a go.

The moss (2) is growing on two relatively large bits of drift wood. They are pretty much covered though so you can hardly tell its wood :). I think you are right though, I'll see if I can find a interesting bit of drift wood somewhere.

Yip (4) is definitely Hygrophilia polysperma. Strange that it does not want to grow taller, it spreads damn quickly sideways though. I'm assuming I pruned it badly... Hopefully it will grow taller now that I'm pruning the side shoots.

10. d3tained

d3tained Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Really nice tank!!!

11. Pedro

Pedro Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    That's a planted tank - nice one! Well done...

12. dart

dart Green fingers

• APSA Member
    9%
    I caught my plec red handed eating my Glossostigma this weekend. He obviously just discovered it. In one night he ate most of the new growth and a good deal of the older plants too :crytear:. I did not have much Glossostigma to start with, so I've now got almost nothing. I should have known this would happen, I know adult plecs eat plants and I've read that they are particularly bad with Glossostigma.

I've moved the plec to a spare tank. I'll be giving him away shortly

Anyway just thought I'd share in the hope it would help someone else.

13. Discus

Discus Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Feed it well on tasty algae wafers, de-shelled peas, and the odd bit of blanched spinach, lettuce and cucumber, and it's less likely to chew your plants ;)

A lot of people seem to find plecs do better in tanks that have wood in them.

14. Rattail

Rattail Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    (Plecs love plants)

How old is this setup? I think it looks really great. A suggestion if I may: why don't you plant some valisneria around that pipe in the left back corner? In fact, you could plant val all the way from the right to the left and it would make a very attractive backdrop.

15. dart

dart Green fingers

• APSA Member
    9%
    Thanks for the tips. However I think I'd rather not have a plec if there is even a small chance it will eat my Glosostigma :). Seriously I'm more interested in the plants that the fish at the moment and anything that eats plants has to go.

About 6 months. Though I've just replanted a lot of it.

Suggestions are always welcome! I agree, I'm definitely missing a good backdrop. I was hoping that the Hygrophilia polysperma would grow taller. I was also wanting the Limnophilia (aquatica & sesiliflora) to fill the left corner but its a bit too leggy to hide the pipe.

I'm been thinking about using Hygrophila salicifolia (plant 9 above) as the backdrop. However I think you may have a point, I think I'll move some valis on the left, perhaps even put some behind the limnophilia.

Thanks for that Rattail!

16. Rattail

Rattail Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Cool! I also started out with quite a variety and now have a lot fewer plant species. H. aquatica or H. aromatica will also make a nice backdrop if you don't want to use val. I wouldn't use polysperma - grows too fast and too leggy for my liking. Also not rotala. (That is why I removed mine).

Good luck! Looking good.

17. dart

dart Green fingers

• APSA Member
    9%
    I'd love some L aromatica! I've not had much luck getting any. I think I need to speak to Nick from Heartlands again to see what he can find for me.

Rotala as in Rotal rotundifolia? Mine has only started growing (it was emersed form). I'll keep an eye on how it does.

Thanks again

18. dart

dart Green fingers

• APSA Member
    9%
    Valis planted. Its a little sparse and low at the moment but it should grow in quickly. It already looks great. Thanks again Richard

19. Rattail

Rattail Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Nick will definitely have H. aromatica for you.

20. dart

dart Green fingers

• APSA Member
    9%
    My canister filter has been acting up for a while (its a cheap knock off). I woke up this morning and it had finally given up the ghost. Well almost, it came on for a few minutes then off for an hour or so but by the time I got back from work it was indeed dead.

As I'm not here over the long weekend so I had to make a plan... So I've put a submersible pump into my tank and I'm pumping water through the canister filter

[​IMG]

It is actually working relatively well. It wll keep the biological filter and my DIY CO2 reactor running over the weekend. Next week I'll have to see what I can do for a permanent solution. Probably need to get a new canister :mad:

Anyway thought I'd share my tale of woe.