Otos breeding

Discussion in 'Bottom Feeders' started by Jacobus Roux, May 15, 2011.

1. Jacobus Roux

Jacobus Roux Noob

• APSA Member
    90%
    Thought I'd share this with people that might actually appreciate it ;)

So about two weeks ago my ram pair layed about 50-100 eggs, none of them hatched though and the rams slowly consumed them all as I assume they went 'off'. But I've read that this is normal the first couple of time.

Any way, I've noticed my one oto was bursting at the seems this last week and was worried, as I thought it might be an infection or something. She (as I know now that it is indeed a she) was still eating well though ect.

I was sitting and watching them now (as I mostly do when I'm 'studying') and the two smaller otos were chasing the fat one around. Then I suddenly realized I recognize this behavior from my corys. Wasn't long after that, that I saw them in the famous/infamous T-position!

They've been at it for about an hour now and I'm suddenly finding the small eggs everywhere under plant leaves (mostly anubius and vallis).

Any way, any one else have success with these guys? Anything I can do to try and help the eggs hatch/fry survive?

Although I'm probably guessing my corys will find the eggs sooner or later.

Now it's only the panda corys that need to spawn! (Their still pretty small though, maybe in a month or two).

2. dougbb

dougbb Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    53%
    congrats! That is fantastic news.

3. Gertjc

Gertjc Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    This is great! It is very seldom that Oto's will spawn in captivity.
    Try and save as much of the eggs, as you can, or remove the other fish!
    Good luck!
    ps: can I put my name up for some fry?

4. Toshi(Walter)

Toshi(Walter) Green fingers

• APSA Member
    31%
    congrats...but should warn you...they're impossible to raise(from what i've read)... no one knows what the fry eat and so on...but goodluck! and get us some pics!

5. Jacobus Roux

Jacobus Roux Noob

• APSA Member
    90%
    Will definitely share if there's enough :) Doubt it though, as there is probably a reason it doesn't happen ofter. Who knows, maybe obsessive observation from my part will motivate them to survive ;)

Any way, I took a couple of videos of them spawning and made a mini compilation.
    I had three options for sound...either my flat mate trying to get his 5 seconds of fame by talking nonsense the entire time, awkward silence or as most people do on YouTube, force you to listen to my music...I chose the latter ;D

Be warned, the video is extremely boring to all but the most extreme fish fanatics...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyoitzVzgpQ

6. Vis

Vis Plant menace

• APSA Member
    77%
    I thought videos only came with LSNV warnings :)

Hope they make it and there are many more to come.

7. Mzungu

Mzungu Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    In one of my books it says that "the young are notoriously difficult to feed due to their small mouths"

Surely though if one can supply them with algae covered rocks and driftwood etc this could be avoided?

8. Jacobus Roux

Jacobus Roux Noob

• APSA Member
    90%
    Ja, I also figured that there should be enough of something in the tank so they can eat. I've also read that people usually don't even know their oto's spawned. They only notice they have one or two more in their tank later on, which tends to support that theory.

However, I had to look on as the rams and oto's made sure each and every last egg was found, the rams scanning all of the top section of the tank, while the oto's covered the bottom section (meaning they literally swam upside down in search for the eggs).

I'll try and be a bit more diligent the next time it happens and maybe put the eggs in a separate inclosure or something...If the oto's are anything like cory's they should be spawning on a regular basis from now on.

In fact, I'll probably do more effort with the oto's than any of my other fish :D

Sorry this thread had such an anticlimactic end to it all ::)

9. Mzungu

Mzungu Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    I think that it would be an amazing achievement, well worth the extra bit of effort.
    Judging by the poor state in which most Oto's arrive, it would be great to have captive bred, proudly South African Otos available to the market.
    Godspeed on your endeavour

10. Gordo

Gordo Noob

• APSA Member
    55%
    well done on that. Maybe remove all the other fish. Try also liqui fry, this could help in raising them. The way I see it, is to to try anything as there is little known about raising these fry

11. Schalkv710

Schalkv710 Green fingers

• APSA Member
    51%
    Sorry this is a bit of topic but I would just like to know what I can feed my oto's as I do not think that I have any more algae for them to feed on... Can I feed them the same tablets they sell for pleco's and cory's?

Schalk

12. Jacobus Roux

Jacobus Roux Noob

• APSA Member
    90%
    Hi, try this site http://www.otocinclus.com/
    I think everything you'll need to know you can find there. But from my experience, even if there seems to be no algae left, it is only because the ottos are eating it as it grows. Thus even if there does seem to be alge, they are still eating enough.

Just watch there bellies, it should always be nice and round (not flat or indented).

I've tried cucumber when first introducing them (put it in a cup of water for one minute in the microwave before feeding it to them), but they didn't really seam interested.

I'm by no means an expert though, as I'm also just really starting the hobby...

13. Big G

Big G Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    53%
    My Oto's ate everything from Blood worm and Artemia, to Spirulina tablets and most tablet type foods. Never had an issue feeding them, and most deffinately no special diet for them, although there was always an abundance of Algae in my tanks!

As for raising fry, thats a different matter, but I would certainly try rocks covered in algae. It would be fantastic indeed to have an availability of Oto's in SA!

Regards
    G!

14. Jacobus Roux

Jacobus Roux Noob

• APSA Member
    90%
    Ja, they've spawned a couple of times since that initial spawn, but I struggle to save the eggs. I've cut the leave the eggs are on and tried to hide them in some java moss, but between the rams and corrys they don't survive long. After going home this weekend I noticed one of the ottos there is also pregnant, so I'm definitely considering trying to breed these guys. After my exams end in a weeks time I'll pursue this a bit more...

Of topic however, has any one bread rams before. Mine have spawned three times now, but the eggs are gone the next morning (or the rams slowly eat them while the light is still on). I've read that this is normal the first couple of times as the rams mature into 'good' parents. How many times are the first couple of times though? In other words, when can I expect them to start getting it right (they’re currently cleaning a leaf as I speak, so I expect them to spawn in the next day or two). I'm also going to leave on a bed lamp next to the tank so they can defend their eggs against the corrys in the dark (or is this not necessary?).

Cheers, Cobus

15. Slagter

Slagter Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    • Sponsor
    73%
    I'd leave a small light on for them. Definitely. But if your water is quite hard, then the eggs may not be fertilized, causing them to fungus up and the parents eat them. If your water is soft, the eggs should get fertilized and develop properly. It's much the same as discus breeding.

Good luck!