Oscar emergency

Discussion in 'Fish ailments' started by KimH, Apr 30, 2007.

1. KimH

KimH Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Hi guys

I have a problem with Asmodeus (red tiger oscar) and would appreciate any help/assistance.

Tank size: 4ft
    Filtration: Dophin 800 l/pH HOB & Tetratec EX 1200 l/pH cannister
    Fish & size: 1 Red tiger oscar 20cm / 1 Heros Severus 15cm
    Water params: pH 5.5 / Ammonia 0 / Nitrite 0 / Nitrate 0.3 Mg per litre
    Tank has been running for nearly 6 months with no prior problems
    Feeding: Omega One lrg cichlid pellets, Hikari Bio Gold pellets, Omega One veggie rounds, Hikari bloodworm (fed twice daily)

A 50% water chance was done immediately and the temp raised by 2 degrees.

The only chage to the tank was adding Fluval carbon to the cannister filter 2 weeks ago

The problem:
    (Friday - afternoon)
    He is in a corner of the tank, part of his dorsal fin is out of the water, when he does swim he is pointing downwards. (Swimbladder??)
    He has been like this for a few hours. He is usually very active.
    The sev that shares the tank with him is showing no sign of problems.

What I've done so far: (Saturday)
    Moved him to a quarantine tank using water from the 4ft tank, water temp 25 degrees celsius. I got some tablets from Nick at Hartlands and have mixed the recommended dose into the quarantine tank.

Monday morning:
    Checked on him on waking up this morning, he is in the corner of the tank, face downward, tail pointing upward (almost like he is doing a headstand) Breathing slowly and not moving. He also seems to have developed some sort of white substance along the top section of his body. It looks almost like a milky coating.

Any constructive advice will be greatly appreciated.

Kim

2. henk hugo

henk hugo Noob

• APSA Member
    that pH is WAY to low for oscars. get it up to 6.5 sloooooooooowly

3. City bowl

City bowl Noob

• APSA Member
  4. Peter

Peter Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Hi City bowl

Maybe you can try Epson salt at a strong dose of 2 tablespoons per 40lt, to purge and hopefully relieve pressure, if any on the bladder and after 4 hours do a 45% w/c

Erythromycin or Chlormycetin needs to be used. See if you find any products with Erythromycin as active ingredient. Can you get Interpet or Waterline line of products, if so both have formulations for "internal bacteria infections" and follow the recommended dosages. I have used the Interpet range with good success. This medication can enter the fish via... the body and lot faster than just the gills only.

Hope he makes it

5. Peter

Peter Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    A Big Oppssss... sorry KimH....could'nt find the "edit button"

6. KimH

KimH Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Thanks all for your responses. Heh Peter, no worries I have been called worse in my time :)

We have introduced crushed shells to the HOB filter and laid out a few on the substrate in the quarantine tank. He has also shed the tips of his tail and side fins and seems to be almost back to his usual self. When I check on him, he turns his back to me and vibrates his tail... he has managed a poop as well, albeit a white stringy poop. Hopefully he can go back into his own tank in a few days, he really does not like the quarantine tank... or me right now :)

Pheww - close call there.

7. City bowl

City bowl Noob

• APSA Member
    Yes thanks Peter, my bladder has responded wonderfully and I hope to make a complete recovery in about a week, I still have the urge to stand on my head, but I'm fighting it and my toes are gradually going back to their old colour.... will keep you posted guys! :sch

8. Peter

Peter Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    lol... :-[   :-[ well boo boo's happens   :sorry and hope you find it in your heart to forgive me. :sunny:

The edit button does not appear in this section?? but glad you are regaining colour and body funtions are returning to normal, in future ease up on the squeezing and go with the flow, you should be able to walk normally soon   ;D   ;D

9. City bowl

City bowl Noob

• APSA Member
    Thanks Peter good to know there's someone out there who cares! ;D ;D

10. Peter

Peter Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Lol....

I am curious to know what KimH used. This could help me in future for alternatives that can come in handy.

11. Steve

Steve Noob

• APSA Member
    80%
    Peter, you would have to ask Nick what we used, it was in tablet form which we crushed up and added to the quarantine tank, he did tell me but I forgot, sorry Nick what are those things called?
    We also used the Epsom salts, but at lower concentration, 1 teaspoon per 10Gal.
    Also, because he has shed his fin tips, and tips of fin rays are visible, (spontaneous fin rot due to stress???,is this even possible?, he shed the tips in a matter of 3-4 hours), I have been looking for a prodoct called Melafix, unfortunately I couldnt find it locally, so I researched it on the net and found that its active ingredient is Melaleuca Alternifolia, (tea tree oil).
    Went to local pharmacy, bought pure concentrated tea tree oil and added to tank at one drop per 10 gal.
    Oil floats around on surface for a while, but with surface agitation seems to disolve.
    Am comfortable with this stuff as its all natural, apparently is a stong antiseptic.
    I dont want to tempt fate but he seems much better now, even showing signs of displeasure at being in a small tank, (tail vibrates when he sees us).
    Also, hes eating again, (only getting two pellets a day at this stage,...maybe thats why he's peeved)
    Funny thing though, after hearing what you guys said about pH, we introduced crushed shells to the filter and whole ones to the tank, tested again, pH up to 6 this morning.
    pH test kit is a Nutrafin pH wide range, 4.5 - 9.0, only three months old, use before date is 30-06-2009, so I would think it is still good.
    However, went out and bought a Seachem pH Alert thingy, (Range 5.8 - 8.6) that you stick inside the tank and it apparently gives you a pH indication for up to 3 months, put it in the tank and after 30 mins it claimed pH was 7,.....so I tested again with test kit, test kit says pH is 6.
    Been testing on and off all day, Seachem thingy still says 7, Nutrafin kit still says 6,......which one do I believe???,...should I believe either?

12. henk hugo

henk hugo Noob

• APSA Member
  13. alan

alan Noob

• APSA Member
    55%
    Hi Henk
    Sams in diep river has a pH meter for R300 bucks

14. Peter

Peter Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Thanks Steve, that’s some cool info.... I have heard of "Tea Tree Oil"

15. henk hugo

henk hugo Noob

• APSA Member
    South Africa is the only country where Tea Tree Oil is still being sold in its raw form as it is highly toxic in this oil.

16. Peter

Peter Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    I can imagine so, I have used it before but not with fish, so I need to find out how compatible it is with other medications.

17. Steve

Steve Noob

• APSA Member
    80%
    Thanks Henk, I have looked up its Toxicity, and you are right, apparently it is toxic when orally ingested by mammals.
    Fish are obviously not mammals and the fish look no worse for wear so far, but I dont want to take the chance, no point in saving him from one thing and killing him with another.
    Still going to research this a bit more as "Melafix" (only active ingredient 1% tea tree oil), is lauded by many as the holy grail of fish medicines overseas and many of the ingredients in many of the more popular medicines for fish will kill mammals stone dead as well, if ingested orally.
    In fact, the majority of fish medicines indicate clearly that they are for "ornamental fish" only, not to be used for "food fish")

18. Gerry

Gerry Noob

• APSA Member
    80%
    Tea Tree Oil is one of my favourite products in human medication and I make a range of products containing it. As far as I know the oil in NOT toxic when used correctly. I sometimes for specific reasons even suggest the oral use of a few drops for a short time and have had excellent results. The reason for the name is that the aborigine people drink a tea from the leaves of this tree. I do not suggest that you go out abd drink the oil.

Your dosge in the Oscar tank is too high and could possibly lead to blindness ( I read this somewhere on the net ) - do a water change.

I am presently experimenting with a solution of Tea Tree Oil and Tween 80 - as has been used by students at an Australian universuty to give something similar to Melafix. My solution contains 1% Tea Tree Oil and 0.01% Tween 80 (as mentioned on the net by the University students) with a suggested dosge of 5ml to 50lt - so from this you can see that the dosage is much lower.

I have had no need to use the solution (I am pleased to say)

If you (or anyone else) would like to try this - as a last resort - I am happy to supply a bottle, no charge and no liability for any losses, subject my getting a feedback on the results.

If you want to search the net try "Tea Tree Oil aquarium" This should bring up the University story plus an Australian site where Melafix is discussed

My email: geralds@iafrica.com or mobile 082-392-4043

19. Steve

Steve Noob

• APSA Member
    80%
    Thanks for the input Gerry, The oscar was only exposed to the 1 drop per 10gal. solution for 1 day with no adverse effect, and has recovered completely from whatever was ailing him.