Old tank algae syndrome?

Discussion in 'Plant Problems' started by Hendre, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Hendre

Hendre Plant menace

• APSA Member
    77%
    Hey guys. My tank has been running for 7 months now, I have always had brown diatoms but in the past month have had a massive influx of green spot algae on the glass and BBA on my wood as well as algae on my anubias and even Java moss at the top of the water. I'm considering trying the hydrogen peroxide spray before a waterchange and scrubbing the wood down. Only ferts is Flourish (not excel)

It may be the addition of a second light? It's standard boyu tubes. I had a 12 hour lighting cycle but cut it down to 8, and may cut it to 6. I'll scrub down all the algae with my next change and see if it makes a dent.

Do you think using White LED lights most of the day for viewing and a short bulb cycle for the plants sake will do anything to reduce algae if the LEDS don't work in a spectrum that stimulates algae?

Any tips or ideas as to what's happening? Will add pictures later

2. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Valued Contributor

• APSA Member
    23%
    Stick to about 6hrs of lighting. When last did you clean your filter? Any reason why you don't use excel or Scape carbon? It's liquid carbon with an algaecide bonus :)

3. Waltjie

Waltjie Green fingers

• APSA Member
    9%
    I think try to cut down on the lighting period. 6 Hours or so. Yes it is nice to always have the lights on so you can view your scape, but it does cause a dramatic increase in green algae, that is for sure! I have some anubias close to the surface, and I also increased my LED lighting not long ago, only to find my anubias completely covered in green algae. It doesn´t look bad or anything, not like BBA or anything, but still...
    As far as BBA is concerned, depending on your setup, I have found the overdosing of Excel method to be super effective. One treatment and it will be completely eradicated. Works like an atomic bomb!

Charles81 likes this.
  4. wearsbunnyslippers

wearsbunnyslippers Administrator Staff Member

• Super Admin
    23%
    if they t8 tubes they should be replaced every 6 months, or you will start getting algae.. t5 tubes, every 12-18 months..

5. Hendre

Hendre Plant menace

• APSA Member
    77%
    Oh goodness didn't get alerts for this thread :(

I don't use any carbon ferts since the tank is lightly planted. I'm cleaning it all out this weekend and will see what happens algae wise, I'm fitting 4000kwhite LED lights so I can view my scape with less algae and keep tubes on 6 hrs

6. Hendre

Hendre Plant menace

• APSA Member
    77%
    This is what it looks like 3 weeks after scrubbing and on 6 hrs lighting. The older anubias leaves have a good bit on too

1492185745344-1570439163.jpg