new to the hobby...[emoji848]

Discussion in 'Please Introduce Yourself' started by jimmy danger, Oct 3, 2018.

1. jimmy danger

jimmy danger Noob

• APSA Member
    15%
    hi all, i'm keenly interested in aquascaping but don't have the know how or experience to dive in headfirst. I've recently acquired a 4ft tank with stand,T5 lighting 108W and a Tetra EX1200 plus. the hard part is substrate and dosing. i hope with yr help i could achieve a beautiful scape like I've seen on the gallery.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

2. f-fish+plants

f-fish+plants Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    73%
  3. TheGrissom

TheGrissom Green fingers

• APSA Member
    51%
    Hello and Welcome :wave:

4. brent.birch

brent.birch Green fingers

• APSA Member
    51%
    Hi and Welcome Jimmy:wave:

There is quite a bit to know about aquascaping, starting with what kind of aquascaping suites you. Here is some links which you can read up about the different styles. http://plantedcube.com/different-aquascaping-styles/ and https://www.theaquariumguide.com/articles/aquascaping-styles-aquariums.

Once you have chosen the style you want, you can work on getting the substrate, ferts and if you want to go for a high tech setup then a CO2 system.

Substrate:
    For substrate choices, ADA is about the best you can get for your plants. There are also other substrates like Langa Soil, Akadama, Seachem, best to choose according to your budget, personally, ADA is the best I have found, goes for around R900 for a 9L now, a cheaper alternative is Langa soil (R500 for an 8L), I've had good success with this and I am now trying out Akadama Soil double red line (around R465 for 14L).

Hardscape:
    Then, creating your layout and hardscape, be patient with this and rather come up with a hardscape that you will enjoy looking at for a long time, changing the hardscape once all your fish is in is a bit of a challenge, and important to ask advice on the forum on the hardscape, people here gives great advice.

Flora:
    Then after, choose your plants you want to add in, this will depend on if you're going for a low tech setup or high tech setup. Generally, plants that are hardier, needs more light and CO2 will be high tech plants. Easier plants to keep will require medium light, E.g Amazon Swords, Java Ferns, Xmass moss. Also, see where you want to add certain plants in your hardscape. Once you have all your plants, comes the fun part, planting them all in place and watching them grow and take shape.

There are a few more steps after this, but I don't want to add too much info and overwhelm you :) As you go along, ask advice on the next steps, it makes it easier and more fun.

Happy scaping :)

shan likes this.
  5. Paul

Paul Plant menace

• APSA Member
    77%
    ADA is no longer just the best far more options now.

6. jimmy danger

jimmy danger Noob

• APSA Member
    15%
    i have opted to go with nature style. i have sifted my potting soil getting rid of all the xhunky bits and i would like to know if there is anything that i should add to it?[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

7. EugeneAqua

EugeneAqua Noob

• APSA Member
    65%
    Soil, search "dirted substrate" on Google, I've not used this but it is popular with the Americans, lots of videos. Make sure to add a layer of gravel substrate over (cap it) so it doesn't muddy up the tank.

Of the things I wish I did at the beginning, best advice I can give is plant as many easy fast growing plants (that YOU like) as possible when setting up the tank, less is not more;
    think about how you want to provide carbon to your plants pressurized/liquid/none;
    and be patient.

Check out aquascaping videos/tutorials and make your aquascape your own.

Enjoy it, this is a great hobby

8. EugeneAqua

EugeneAqua Noob

• APSA Member
    65%