My tank, stand and cabinet design

Discussion in 'D.I.Y.' started by AdrianT, Feb 3, 2014.

1. DaChicken

DaChicken Green fingers

• APSA Member
    51%
    Wow Adrian... looking good! Can't wait to see the progress.... tagging along.

AdrianT likes this.
  2. AdrianT

AdrianT Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    73%
    Thanks Richard! Hehehe, all of those pipes are outlets, the middle being a backup emergency overflow. The other two are durso standpipes, one enclosed, the other vented to atmosphere so it can auto start.

Into the tank will be a flexible pipe with an ADA lily pipe, one of the "cheap" Do!Aqua ones :)

3. GoggaZa

GoggaZa Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    53%
    @AdrianT I might have missed it but what did you use inside you canopy to seal/waterproof it and what about condensation from the lights and water

Once again sorry if I missed this somewhere

4. Chongkie

Chongkie Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    23%
    Dude, you really are taking your time in setting up this tank. :phehe. Looking good bud! Come dude, atleast add a twig or rock in it. hehe:thumb:

AdrianT likes this.
  5. A.W.O.L

A.W.O.L Green fingers

• APSA Member
    9%
    Man this is one epic build! Cant wait!

AdrianT likes this.
  6. JP01

JP01 Moderator Staff Member

• Global moderator
    73%
    @AdrianT just loving the look of the wood and the tank!

AdrianT likes this.
  7. wolf

wolf Valued Contributor

• APSA Member
    77%
    looking good there think i must come inspect it in person :wolf:

AdrianT likes this.
  8. shihr

shihr Administrator Staff Member

• Super Admin
    23%
    just a quick question.. why do you have a gap between your light and tank again? :p you should have just gone closed top :p

9. JsPLAYn83

JsPLAYn83 Green fingers

• APSA Member
    9%
    Really smart tank... I would have opted for an internal slim overflow or a rear overflow,in my opinion its a bit of an eyesore and removes the sleekness of the tank ....

Just my opinion, other than that,looks mega wicked, get it wet already

DaChicken, Rickus and AdrianT like this.
  10. AdrianT

AdrianT Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    73%
    Thanks everyone! Can't wait to fire her up. I think I just really need to install a small LED light under the cabinet and sort the cabling, then a basic stand to hold the CO2 reactor and I'm good to go. Dry start method I still think. Yes Herman you must come past when it's got that liquid stuff in it. I'll be sure to have a cold whisky on hand too.

The canopy has about 6 layers of marine varnish on it. The inside only 3 I think. But three coats of Velvaglo as well. Condensation is part of life, the gap will hopefully help a bit, with the trade off of more heat and water loss. I didn't want the hood touching the tank at all.

I have the wood from @Dylan S , I'll put it in next time Sunny :p And no I didn't take my time. I've been busy! Work, changed jobs, one surgery in March, one in May :wave: Girlfriend, keeping fit, then a holiday. I didn't think it would take this long. Laminating planks to form panels is seriously time consuming. It goes something like this: Assemble pieces loosely (realise idiots at Country Woods cannot cut straight). Mark off ends, then drill one side, markers in, tap points for dowels, drill again, repeat until end, insert wood glue and dowels, assemble and tap together, use sash clamps (of which I only have a pair), wait 24 hours, use circular saw to trim ends to correct length and squareness! Sand..... :mad: Varnish, light sand, varnish, light sand again, varnish, light sand again, varnish. 24 hours per coat of varnish. Won't be doing this in a hurry! lol ;D The hood was a stupid amount of work. The end result I rate a 7 out of 10 for satisfaction. I could have done better I guess. But I'm tired of it. I came very close the other day to selling it on the Gumtree.

I researched many overflows. My place is not that big and sound is an issue so the Bean Animal design seemed to win, at the expense of a big box on the side, which I would cover up with perspex anyway if I wanted to but for now hell no, no more of this tank o_O Overflows at the back would mean the tank has to sit more forward so I lose precious space :) And access (should something go wrong) is a real pain from the back.

11. BLA Aquatics

BLA Aquatics Green fingers

• APSA Member
    9%
    @AdrianT. Can I put my order in for a Awesome Looking tank like yours? :D

AdrianT likes this.
  12. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Valued Contributor

• APSA Member
    23%
    I know the feeling but don't get despondent, don't rush and don't give up. You will regret it. I look at my cabinet and canopy and as impressed as I am with what I did, I still see the things I rushed or never finished to my satisfaction and they annoy me!

AdrianT likes this.
  13. AdrianT

AdrianT Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    73%
    Hehe, no more tanks for a while Brandon, but thanks :)

Yeah I hear you Marc. I already look at my work and get annoyed because I have taken the odd shortcut, luckily not too many. Did nothing this weekend on the tank.. :ang4: At least it was a cracker!

14. AdrianT

AdrianT Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    73%
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Filling up of the sump. Not quite in position yet. I will raise it slightly. Yes Sunny, I made the outflows a touch too short :)

[​IMG]
    Friday night, I filled her up to check. One small leak on middle overflow. After tightening it's fine now. The electrics is just temporarily like that, and will be much neater for when I am done.

[​IMG]

If the two Durso's are closed the central emergency overflow works perfectly. There is a slight vibration on it. However the other pipes are totally still during startup etc.

[​IMG]

The finished product. I will dry start the tank now. In fact I will order plants tonight, or Wednesday. There are many more photos to share but I'm too lazy to upload. I may post a link here to an article when it's done but basically this thread is almost over :)

Thanks for all the advice and encouraging comments. I'm pleased to say I've even made a few new friends as a result of this exceedingly long project. I made a few mistakes for sure, all of which I'll highlight in an article, eventually... But overall I am tired of this and just wanting to get some greenery into my flat!!!

Have an awesome day,
    Adrian

Rickus and Jacobus Roux like this.
  15. AdrianT

AdrianT Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    73%
    What's also cool for those of you interested, and my desire to avoid bracing (and my hatred thereof), is the deflection of the glass in theory:

[​IMG]

And in reality when you peer down the length it is quite visible. I never tried to measure but my guess is that it correlates strongly to the theory :)

[​IMG]

Rickus likes this.
  16. Hanekka

Hanekka Moderator Staff Member

• Global moderator
    23%
    Like like like!

AdrianT likes this.
  17. DaChicken

DaChicken Green fingers

• APSA Member
    51%
    This is insane!! From an engineering point of view... I LOVE this!!!

AdrianT likes this.
  18. Jacobus Roux

Jacobus Roux Noob

• APSA Member
    90%
    Tank is looking really good, sort of making me dislike myself a bit...

And that looks like more than 3mm deflection, are you sure you used the correct specifications for the glass? I'm no expert, but just watch out for the silicone seems, even though the glass can take some deflection, the seems might not like the newly added shear force... Honestly, can't believe the glass is bending at all, when I saw you tank it looked like overkill o_O

Maybe heat the water a bit ;)

Again... looking epic

AdrianT likes this.
  19. AdrianT

AdrianT Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    73%
    You are most welcome to come check it out when it's running Marna.

Thanks H :) (hows the new job? I'm so stoked you got sorted!)

Well, I think it might also be the perspective from the lens :rolleyes: maybe I am wrong, but in real life it looks like maybe 2mm. I shot all the photos with a fixed 35mm f/1.8. Nah the silicon will not fail. I will bet on that.. And I had first hand experience ripping out a wall unit with that stuff. Well, you're most welcome to come and visit again anytime Cobus :D I will dry start, then add a little heat to her when, well, let me digress before I get into trouble. Thanks Kaptein, lekker aand verder.

20. DaChicken

DaChicken Green fingers

• APSA Member
    51%
    Hey Adrian! Thanx man. Yes... I am really glad I got sorted. I almost started with a new aquarium project... Lol...

The new job is awesome! Way better than the previous job... The salary is less... But the experience I am getting are truly an investment....

Love the aquarium work you are doing... On what software are you modelling? I would like to model my stand.. Previous tank bottom glass cracked die to twisting of the frame...