My tank, stand and cabinet design

Discussion in 'D.I.Y.' started by AdrianT, Feb 3, 2014.

1. AdrianT

AdrianT Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    73%
    It's not my arm, but yes thank you I am very strong :) lol... My friend is quite short holding the lid open anyway! lol... The back of the hood is entirely cantilevered... ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cantilever ) It's my own design. I was not sure (99,7% sure) it would work, but it does. It could be refined for future projects I guess but it works the bomb and gives a great, clean look.

Yes sumps are the bomb! I Googled the subject extensively before deciding to head this route. Each to their own. I won't convince you one car is better than another, we're all different. Same as EI versus PPS versus even more methods for fertilizing the water column blah blah blah :evil7: If we all thought the same life would be terrible hey?! :icon_cyclops_ani:

2. wolf

wolf Valued Contributor

• APSA Member
    77%
    I just wanted to know. Thanks

3. AdrianT

AdrianT Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    73%
    Cool, cool.

Had the shops actually stocked decent equipment I might not have headed the sump route, but am very glad I did.

4. wolf

wolf Valued Contributor

• APSA Member
    77%
    Cool
    There are same planted tanks out there with sumps that looks great.
    Enjoy

AdrianT likes this.
  5. AdrianT

AdrianT Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    73%
    Weekly update. Managed a bit of work Saturday and last week on some days. Waiting on the Alanod still :) And my left hand is stuffed from sanding :( The right hand is so used to all the manual labour I swopped over 3 weeks ago, what a mistake. Got a TransAct pad on it because the thumb is in agony. Must be getting old :confused1:

Anyway, did some work, a few minutes on the hood, and some chiseling work, plus hole saw time. Straps just to hold it there for hole positioning. Can't wait to finish this and tidy up the huge mess in my garage:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

shihr and Coldcat like this.
  6. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Valued Contributor

• APSA Member
    23%
    Very cool. You must be seriously excited. Are you planning to hide the irrigation pipes at all?

7. AdrianT

AdrianT Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    73%
    Thanks, yeah I am excited. And I also want my time back :) lol... I can't do a crap job, which is a curse, so this is taking time!

Well I painted my entire lounge and kitchen and ripped out a built in wall unit. And then moved my couch to the opposite side and changed everything, so am having the overflow side towards the kitchen now because the couch is right next to the tank. For the moment I am not hiding them. Country Woods is out of blackwood currently too and I don't have motivation to buy elsewhere and make another mission. So for the first few months, it will remain uncovered. I can always build another cover later when (and if) the mood strikes! Might use black acrylic to cover the box, will still decide.

I tell you what, making this hood has been a proper mission. I also noticed what looks like a drop of sweat which landed on the top during one of the layers, it's tiny, but it bugs me. I already applied 5 layers of varnish and was only going to do one more but now do I leave it (like 10 cent piece size) or sand it out and head through the layers mission again. Probably the latter knowing myself.

8. Joshua Tree

• APSA Member
    23%
    You sound like me. "It has to be perfect". ;)

I scraped all the walls in my previous house because the paint drips that others had made annoyed me :BangHead: :D

AdrianT likes this.
  9. Chongkie

Chongkie Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    23%
    Nice! Looking good bud!

Just some warning on the "bean animal" design. Make sure you have enough slope on your full siphon pipe, or else it will not completely purge all the air out of the pipe. and why is your middle pipe smaller?

Also another thing, just be make sure that you either fix in place the pipes or make some space for the full siphon for movement. When the air purges out, either on a restart or whatever, it vibrates like a Mofo!

Oh last advice, I see that you have those plastic ball valves. When you have to fine tune your system, those ball valves are quite difficult to adjust in small increments. Maybe have a look at if you can get a wheel ball valve.

Oh...another thing! Enjoy the silence! hehe

BTW, what size return pump are you going to get? 5000lt or more?

AdrianT likes this.
  10. AdrianT

AdrianT Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    73%
    Thanks Chongkie! :occasion14:

Ok interesting, I have more length than the others on that one, so no stress hopefully. Middle pipe is purely emergency and yes it's 32mm, the others are 40mm. The larger pipes were for assured silence. Middle will handle all the flow no problem and if the middle is working you already have problems and noise is not an issue :stop:

Interesting on the vibration! Will keep that in mind - thanks! There are high pressure pipes with thick walls so stiffness should be greater. But will secure or make allowance, won't be a problem.

No the return pump isn't that powerful. The system is designed not for one single pump size - who would anyway? :tongue3: Once it's too small it's too small and too late. But if you go slightly bigger you know later on you can upsize for whatever reason, marine tank included - hence the bubble trap in the sump :-X

11. mattlamm

mattlamm Green fingers

• APSA Member
    51%
    Can you post more pics of how this magical cantilevering works? Does the lid not touch the tank anywhere?

12. AdrianT

AdrianT Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    73%
    Hehehe, it's not that magical :) Scroll back to see more photos of the tank. Not sure if you looked at everything.

It's hinged at the top, near the back. The back portion is fixed via a steel frame bolted to the frame below the "cabinet" which is no more than a front, two sides and two doors. No it does not touch the tank at all. I may add rubber stoppers as an added insurance against some random accident but it does not touch anywhere, not when open, nor closed. Imagine a normal hood with a top and four sides, totally closed, then take a circular saw and cut it length ways completely and hinge the top. As simple as that.

13. wolf

wolf Valued Contributor

• APSA Member
    77%
    Whats all going in the sump

14. AdrianT

AdrianT Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    73%
    Filter sponges, ceramic rings, heater and probably the Twinstar, and the return pump.

15. AdrianT

AdrianT Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    73%
    Really not much to say. In the house, cabinet is done. Hood works electrically as of this evening but I need to fasten everything then I am basically done. Plumbing also mostly done, bar one error. More on that.

[​IMG]

Rickus, Joshua Tree and shihr like this.
  16. Joshua Tree

• APSA Member
    23%
    Man, that's looking schweeet!

Not so sure about the freaky owls...

AdrianT and shihr like this.
  17. AdrianT

AdrianT Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    73%
    Thanks! Those owls are from the Owl House at Nieu Bethesda. Super freaky place.... Most of the rooms in the house have walls 100% covered with crushed, coloured glass. The weirdest sculptures everywhere and outside... The lady living there eventually committed suicide. Judging from what she created she must have had all the screws loose :)

More progress this week - at last.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chongkie, Rickus and Jacobus Roux like this.
  18. AdrianT

AdrianT Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    73%
    And just to freak you out more @Joshua Tree , the owls moved in that last pic ;-) hehehe. When it's done you must come and check it out in a few months time.

Joshua Tree likes this.
  19. Coldcat

Coldcat Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    3%
    looks so sick dude. I'm loving it!

My minds bending a bit figuring what pipes are output and input though?

AdrianT likes this.
  20. Coldcat

Coldcat Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    3%
    looks so sick dude. I'm loving it!

My minds bending a bit figuring what pipes are output and input though?