My Outside Tanks

Discussion in 'Aquascaping and Member's Setups' started by Rattail, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Rattail

Rattail Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Hi,
    I thought I?d share my outside tanks with you. I use them to experiment with but not experiments like cruel ones. Sometimes I?d put a plant in to see what happens to it outdoors, or see if coldwater fish do in fact breed outside. No heaters, pumps (except in the ponds), filters, lights anywhere. (Obviously no dosing either).

I have in fact seen guppies, platies and swords breed in this pond right through winter. (400L)
    [​IMG]
    It?s been running for almost 2 years now.

The comets are doing strange things in here (behaviourally) and I already have quite a few babies. (2000L)
    [​IMG]
    My cycling partner and I built this from brick and cement about 2 years ago. No filter, just a pump and UV light. The black thing above the waterfall is a temporary thing I constructed to filter dead algae from the UV light. Basically it?s just a bucket with folded shade cloth. Works well. I?ll remove it one day when it?s no longer required. If I find that time to be elusive, I?ll build a filter behind the wall.

I call this my ?stoep tank?. It was pretty much a river biotope until I started putting polysperma and java ferns in too!! 5 Comet babies from the big pond are housed in here along with 3 platies from the smaller pond.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is el-Natural Walstad-style in it?s purest form. The filter is to clear up the water. Then I?ll remove it. Set up 3 weeks ago so it?s very much still a work in progress!

?I have a tank. Don?t know what to do with it?. Ah, I know!! Put moss in to see how fast it grows outside!? That?s what happened here. (20L) 2 platies provide nutrients.
    [​IMG]

I don?t know what I?ll do here?. Maybe breed guppies?. I like their colour. (50L)
    [​IMG]
    Also Walstad style.

This is my latest creation ? also completely el-Natural (90L). I only set this up the weekend, so it has no fish yet. Just snails. No idea what I?ll put in here yet. It is set up on Jeni?s kennel and yes, the thing on the left is a real rock. I picked it up in the Magaliesberge in 1988. ;D
    [​IMG]

And that?s it. I hope you enjoyed looking at my alternate tanks. Any constructive comments, ideas, tips, etc would be welcome. I have no particular direction with any of the above, so am willing to mix and match at random. The principles of fishkeeping still apply though!!

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. R.C.

R.C. Moderator Staff Member

• Global moderator
    23%
    Nice one, Richard.

The wood in the tank on your "stoep" is just begging for some Spiky moss, but the Comets would probably munch it. :p

3. Ryan

Ryan Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    This makes me want my own outside. Renting sucks.

Nice to see how all your experiments are working out.

4. d3tained

d3tained Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    LOOKING GOOD!!!

5. Andre

Andre Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    Nice tanks Richard

That last tank does not seem to be very level, but its small enough so it should not be a problem

6. ziyaadb

ziyaadb Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    53%
    great tanks man

7. Rattail

Rattail Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    You're right, Andr?. The roof of Jeni's kennel slopes slightly t the rear, plus the floor slopes slightly too.

8. Rattail

Rattail Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Anyone ever seen a val flower? Here's one that Jac spotted in my 400L pond:

[​IMG]

(Pity I don't have a macro lens... To give you an idea: the leaves on this type of valisneria are only 150mm long. It's some sort of miniature).

9. Ryan

Ryan Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    That's pretty cool. I've had vallis for ages now and it's never done anything flowerish.

What camera do you have now Richard?

10. Rattail

Rattail Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Sony a100W. Need a macro lens though...

11. Rattail

Rattail Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Here?s an update on the natural aquariums I set up outside. All tanks are undercover so they receive low light, and have a soil substrate, covered by normal building sand. No backdrops, filters, heaters, or lights. (In the following photos, I obviously had to put a light over the aquariums in order to take photos. (Not the best quality photos, but still? photos). The only maintenance I do is to top up any evaporated water once a week, if need be.

The 90L one rests on top of my dog?s kennel (yes, it?s a huge kennel)
    [​IMG]

and the other next to my braai.
    [​IMG]

I relocated the 90L River Biotope from the stoep as it was getting too much sun (resulting in constant green water) and put it under cover too. I think it?s a bit of a flop as far as looks go, bit it is successful in the sense that nothing has died, and the plants are all growing.
    [​IMG]

The outside temperature ranges between 10-33 degrees Celsius in this part of the world, so I added some platies and sword tails to the one, and guppies to the other. (My reasoning being that they would acclimatise and survive better if I added them during a period where the outside temperature was a modest 23-26 degrees. Celsius.)The river biotope had goldfish in, but I have since moved them to the 2000L pond and have introduced a pair of long-finned sword tails.

90L Aquarium on Jeni?s kennel

Left 1/3. (The Rock is natural ? even with the hole)
    [​IMG]

Middle 1/3
    [​IMG]

Right 1/3
    [​IMG]

50L Aquarium
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

90L River Biotope
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

All aquariums above have survived till now, and now that it is summer again, the inhabitants have even started breeding, so I guess I can consider my outside venture to be a success.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  12. BigFish

BigFish Noob

• APSA Member
    80%
    Brilliant :wow. I always wanted to run a few outdoor tanks as experiments .

Dont know how i missed the first posts on this thread. :(
    (finally remember--- i was busy moving home)

13. vic+andrea

vic+andrea Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Love all the moss!!! Looking fantastic!!! What do you do in winter time when it gets a bit cold? Dont you lose plants and fish??

14. d3tained

d3tained Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Those tanks looks really good!!!I am very impressed!!!!!!!!!

15. Rattail

Rattail Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Platies, sword tails, and guppies can all withstand the cold provided that you introduce them to an aoutside environment in summer when the temperatures are 25 and up. They are then able to acclimatise to outside temps when winter comes.

I started my 400L pond with 2 platy females and a male, and a pair of swords. (The male sword died within a week). I have never added any more platies or swords, and there are now about 60 in the pond. More swords than platies. This would indicate that the sword male got to the female before he died. In October, I introduced some guppies and they have successfully bred within the past month. I think my fish are quite resilliant and might even be classified as "wild caught"!! hahahaha!!! (joke ;))

When I lived in Pretoria, I knew someone who had platies in a metal bucket outside. This was during winter - and they survived.

16. Frenzy

Frenzy Noob

• APSA Member
    55%
    Nice ponds and tanks, pretty plants too. Tell me if you want some cold water guppies from my collection. I will definitely want to steal some of your outdoor fish soon.

17. Rattail

Rattail Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    new stock is always welcome! and you won't have to steal. just ask. ;)

18. Rattail

Rattail Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Ok, it's been 2.5 years. This is what this tank looks like now...

This tank has ONLY valisneria (which as can be seen grows very tightly together, and not high at all - because of the natural light) and some moss in it. No Heater, pump, filter, light, etc. NADA. Just a glass tank, my special sand mixture, plants and some fish.
    Photos were taken using a point and shoot - therfore the glare on the glass. The water is, however, CRYSTAL clear and tastes very nice. Obviously I don't do any maintenance other than topping up evaporated water, and feeding the fish once a week.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

This dam has become quite mature ;) I regularly toss some of the water lettuce into the garden for compost.
    [​IMG]

cheers!
    8)

19. shihr

shihr Administrator Staff Member

• Super Admin
    23%
    WOW.. looks amazing.. like the valisneria.. pond looks great too:)

20. Gertjc

Gertjc Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Rattail, the tanks are realy looking good! The tank with the vallis is so natural-must see it again!
    Like I said, next time, I will be standing in your garden with a plastic bag!
    Gert.