My main setup. 270L Angel tank

Discussion in 'Aquascaping and Member's Setups' started by Pikkie, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Pikkie

Pikkie Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Thanks for all the compliments :) I Think I may replace some of the backround plants later if I find something interesting. I don't like the the look of the limno with the CO2, It was more bushy without CO2.
    The other 2 plants I needed a ID for was Quadricostatus, and the other stem plant looks non aquatic.

Regards Izak

2. Ryan

Ryan Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    Thanks, you're too kind :p

It's really looking awesome Izak. You're probably goign to have to pull that sword out soon or it will go mental like Andre's did and probably eat your dog.

3. Pikkie

Pikkie Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Hahaha!! ;D I'll be on the look out and act before that happens. It has send out about 3 emmersed leaves but I always trim them before they reach the surface.

4. Laure

Laure Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Hi

I have the same problem with Limnophila Sessiliflora, but I think it is related to high light. In a tank with cheap CFLs it grows incredibly bushy and looks great; in my main tank with T5s it looks terrible. I actually want to replace it with a similar plant, in other words, fine leaves BUT not growing so damn fast! I was thinking Limnophila Aquatica as it requires higher light than Sessiliflora to look nice. Also maybe myriophyllum. What are your thoughts Pikkie? Sorry if this is a thread hijack, but I think we share the same problem so maybe the same solution?

Regards
    L

5. Pikkie

Pikkie Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Hey Laure. I had this growth with T8's before then I replaced my lighting with T5 and I had this awesome bushy growth that you can see in my previous pics. But since I added pressurized CO2 it's back too the fast growing leggy stems. I'll probably put the Rotala in the back now, it grows very dense!

6. wilsar

wilsar Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    with reference of Limnophila Sessiliflora growing lanky, you should understand that the colour spectrum of the lamps used has alot to do with it also. the more red ended side of the spectrum, the more bushier/spread the plant has.

7. Laure

Laure Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Wilsar interesting you mention that. The tank with CFL's are normal cool whites in other words 3400K bulbs, while my main tank with the leggy growth have 865 T5s. 3400K has much more red than 6500K.

8. Pikkie

Pikkie Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    My lights remained the same... So in my case it can't be the lights, everything stayed the same except the CO2 levels

9. wilsar

wilsar Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    you could always try Cabomba caroliniana.

10. Laure

Laure Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Hi Izak

You are right with regards Sessiliflora and CO2. I placed some in a small tank with regular CF bulbs. After a few weeks I had nice dense, bushy growth. Leaf nodes were practically on top of each other and stem space in between leaf nodes maximum 2cm. So it looked awesome. Then I added DIY CO2. 1 week later space between leaf nodes are now averaging 5cm, some much longer. Crap plant...all I can say!

Are you happy with the Azoo regulator? I am considering ordering it and slowly but surely gather some equipment for CO2 system for my main tank. I also think I will be getting the inline atomizer. I wonder how well the UP one works that can be ordered on ebay, as it is about 1/3 the price of others you can buy at online aquatic shops in the USA.

Regards
    Lauré

11. Pikkie

Pikkie Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    YEah I still have the limno in my tank, looks awe full to me. But I don't have anything at the moment to put there.
    Yes I'm very happy with it. It's high quality and very strong, solenoid works perfect too ;)
    The DIY CO2 is such a chore and a mess, but it makes you realize how awesome Pressurized CO2 actually is ;D

12. Laure

Laure Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Hi

And you didn't have any issues with customs when you ordered it? Any duties you had to pay?

13. shihr

shihr Administrator Staff Member

• Super Admin
    23%
    hey pikkie, i rem reading a while back saying u had hair algae.. did the CO2 take care of the problem?