Minimum tank size for discus

Discussion in 'Discus' started by ziyaadb, Aug 15, 2007.

1. ziyaadb

ziyaadb Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    53%
    whats the minimum tank size for a pair of discus or is a pair too few?

2. City bowl

City bowl Noob

• APSA Member
    Too few for what?
    Perhaps try google.... type "discus" or "minimum tank size for breeding discus" or "raising young discus"...
    Google is an amasing tool that can help you find answers too all sorts of questions, other search engines you may like to try may include "accoona"
    or alternatively look up many of the past postings I'm sure the answer is there...

3. Peter

Peter Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Hi ziyaadb

Generally the ?comfort amount? is 40lt per adult of size +- 5? or more, so a pair would be fine in a 3 foot of a 100lt. if you have/want small discus of a size 2.5-3? (ave LFS selling size) for example, then 6 would also be fine in a 3 foot, but as they grow, you would need to look towards a 4 foot.

4. ziyaadb

ziyaadb Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    53%
    Thanks Peter, So if i wanted to put discus in a 85lt tank then 2 adults would theoratically be fine? But my understanding is that discus need to school so would it then be ok to just have a lonesome1?

5. Peter

Peter Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Yes, they prefer to shoal, but if you would like to keep one in an 85lt tank, that?s also fine. You can put in some tank mates like Cardinals or Rummies, makes his surroundings more comfortable in settling in.

6. Dirk B

Dirk B Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    73%
    When keeping small discus it is essential to remember what happens in nature, there they shoal in large groups. So if you keep small discus it is absurd to keep only one, they are completely freaked out on their own and will not grow normally. Keep them in groups of at least six or else one fish will dominate and the rest will not eat enough and become stunted.

When keeping adults the rule of thumb should be 70 litres per adult as an absolute minimum. They should also not be kept in narrow long shallow tanks as this also causes them to be stressed.

Kind regards,

Dirk

7. d3tained

d3tained Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    I always feel that go as big as you can afford and not under the minimum size.

Not only for discus but all fish.

8. ziyaadb

ziyaadb Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    53%
    Thanks for all the info gents, I agree with you detained i just wanted to find out if it could be done. But now that i know and have proper info I know that i will not keep any just as yet

9. Peter

Peter Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Hi Prof

I promise not to exhaust this thread, but like to take advantage to ask questions when you?re on line, please be patient with me.

I agree with what you say, but with hybrids, are they not more tolerable to be on their own? The reason I say this, a lot of times that I have had discus in QT (mostly on their own), in time have settled down and taken food from my hands also putting on body weight, has had me believe its possible. I?m sure there are many hobbyist eager to get discus but can?t afford to get 6 @ R180.00 per fish and ask this question ?can I have one in my tank??

Kind regards

10. d3tained

d3tained Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Basic rule applies with all wild animals one mite wanto keep in captivity...STICK AS CLOSE AS POSSABILE TO WHAT THE ANIMAL WOULD ENCOUNTER IN THE WILD AND YOU WILL HAVE SUCCES AND A HAPPY ANIMAL.

This is not to say that you CANT keep a Discus alone but I believe if they were ment to be alone they would also be alone in nature, which is not the case with Discus.Depens on the the fish personality.

Also if you keep a wild animal in captivity they most of the time change some of there natural way and its not necessarily bad but can lead to all types of problems like fighting which could possibly occur in nature but less serious as there is loads of space!

For fish we actually need to have natural behavior documented and then captivity behavior documented...I can be wrong but I strongly believe this 2 difference somewhat.

In the end of the day one cannot purely go on experience of other fish keepers but only as a guideline and see for yourself as each fish reacts differently to the fact that they are in captivity as well as all other wild animals.

11. Dirk B

Dirk B Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    73%
    Hi Peter,

A quick reply...

Discus that are kept on their own, particularly if they are younger are miserable. They swim up and down all day looking for a buddy. They should be in a shoal and that applies whether they are hybrids or not. If you have to keep them on their own during quarantining, place the quarantine tank next to a tank in which there are other discus so that the fish at least has some visible company.

My advice to the general public is that if they want to keep discus, they should do it properly and keep a group so that they can interact naturally. If you keep one discus in a tank with rummies or cardinals, the temps that you should keep the discus at are too high for the other fish and as a matter of fact optimal discus temps are too high for most plants as well.

So, no, my advice firmly is that discus must not be kept on their own.

Kind regards,

Dirk