minerilised soil?

Discussion in 'Planted Tank Equipment' started by Maurice, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Maurice

Maurice Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    23%
    Hey all,

hope there's somebody that can help me.
    I'm busy with the minerilising proces. Now what I would like to know, the dolomite that you sprinkle with the muriate of potash - can I use dolomitic agriculturel lime? The guy that helped me said, it's dolomit that they take out the mines, and ground it to a powder, no added substances. Now the muriate of potash, I know it adds potasium, but what is it exactlyn or what shall I ask for, cause at agri they wern't sure what it is. Cheers

2. Dirk B

Dirk B Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    73%
    No Morris,

the guys at the agri shop do not know their stuff, they want to sell you lots but when it comes to advice they fizzle out.

Dolomitic agricultural lime can be used but it will increase your GH considerably. It will depend on how much you add to your gravel as to how much will be added to your water. Also the effect of Mg and Ca release will be reduced once you start doing water changes and unless you do regular checks on your GH you will not know how hard your water actually is. Re the muriate of potash, now that is also another one of these difficult things, the more you add the more will be released but you will not know whether it is enough or too little unless you test the levels. At this stage I know of no K test on the market so this is not feasible.

My advice is not to add these substances to the substrate as you cannot control absolute levels but to rather add them to the water in controlled levels.

Kind regards,

Dirk

3. Maurice

Maurice Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    23%
    Hey Dirk, thanks for replying!
    So would you rather suggest that I add just the minerilised soil, with out the dolomit and muriate of potash, and add your drops for coloum ferts and hardness.
    I do want to add a fert substrate cause my Liliopsis Brisiliances(dwarf hair grass is strugling without added fert-substrate.
    Cheers

4. Slagter

Slagter Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    • Sponsor
    73%
    If you can get your hands on products like Flourite, use that rather. It's fairly pricey, at R300 per 7kg's, but it works like a dream.

5. Maurice

Maurice Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    23%
    Hey Slagter,
    Here in plett where I live, its hopeless trying to get flourite, the pet shops r a couple of years behind, but its understandable, cause there's not a big market for the stuff.
    Also, why I wanna try the ms, is I wanna use black substrate, wich to me gives a very nice affect, and I know black flourite is hard to find.
    And I would really like to give the ms a experimental try.
    Cheers

6. Pikkie

Pikkie Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Hi Morris. I think you will be fine without any of the other products only MS. Because you'll probably be dosing K on a regular basis anyway via KNO3. You can always sprinkle some crushed dolomite tablets on the bottom glas before adding the MS, that's what I did.

PS. Don't go too deep with the MS and try to find Malaysian Trumpet Snails to keep your soil healthy.

Regards Izak

7. Maurice

Maurice Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    23%
    After reading up abit, I'm giving the ms a pass.
    Ordered some tetra complete substrate instead, that will be capped wit a nice black substrate.
    The tetra com.subst. Is the only fert substrate I can get where I live.

8. darryn

darryn Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    53%
    @Dirk: So you suggest using the plain mineralised soil without adding any dolomite or muriate of potash, and then use your ferts? Will this provide sufficient nutrients to grow 'just about anything'?
    TIA

9. darryn

darryn Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    53%