Mid to High light LED setups

Discussion in 'Planted Tank Equipment' started by foo, Jan 10, 2019.

1. foo

foo Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    53%
    Hi all,

Are there any commercially available LED light fixtures suitable for a 60 cm tank that produces mid -> high light suitable for planted tanks? Assume that price is no object, but:

- Needs to be locally shipped
    - Look good / modern
    - Proven to work

Been doing DIY, but becomes hard when you try to make it look good / neat, so just exploring other options. Thanks!

2. fuz940510

fuz940510 Noob

• APSA Member
    15%
    I've been using this on my 60 litre, 60cm tank: https://www.aquaempire.co.za/product-page/zetlight-zp-4000-p

Plants have been growing really well. glosso stays close to the bottom of the tank, rotala developed a really deep red and amazon sword going crazy

The 60cm is about R750, so not too expensive either. Adjustable light output, and you can choose what red/white balance.

3. foo

foo Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    53%
    Thanks, looks like a good option!

How is the light distribution? (e.g. if you have it positioned in the center, do you get enough light to your foreground plants?)

Would you get 2 bulbs? - would it fit? Can you dim the lights? Would you have space to work in the tank? :D

Sorry, lots of questions :) I only find the "Lancia" version on youtube, so hard to judge this one.

4. Riaan [urbionic]

Riaan [urbionic] Noob

• APSA Member
    90%
    I've got the same light on my 60cm I set up a month ago. Plants respond well but I'd go for 2 of these. The light is very close to the surface due to low brackets, and depending on your hardscape , you will have shady spots. The lights can dim, I think there is about 9 brightness settings - on lowest it creates a moonlight effect. Mine came without instructions and only the red LED's lit up on first use, so I thought it was broken - did figure out how to adjust the balance between white and red. It's easy to move around when you work in the tank. For the price it's a decent option. Good luck with researching it online, after days I managed to find some obscure Malaysian facebook page that showed aquascapes using these lights. Based on the result I took a gamble and bought one, I think you will be satisfied with it.

5. foo

foo Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    53%
    Thanks Riaan, good to hear more opinions on the light!

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else knows of any other options? Otherwise I might try 2 of these.

6. fuz940510

fuz940510 Noob

• APSA Member
    15%
    According to their documentation there are 14 levels of brightness adjustment. I have the light positioned a bit closer to the front than the back, as the back has anubias and java fern growing.

For working on the tank, i generally just don't tighten down the screws on the mounting brackets, and just slide the light backwards and forwards as i need it. Distribution isn't bad, but it won't completely cover the tank front to back.

foo likes this.