Making an old hood look new

Discussion in 'D.I.Y.' started by Anonymous, Nov 13, 2006.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Last week a friend gave me his 3 ft fish tank as he no longer wants it. I got an old hood from a friend (the normal black one's) but it looked quite faded as it's a very old hood.

I have polished it using sunflower oil and now it shines more brightly than a new hood. I wanted to ask if sunflower oil would be harmful for fish / plants? I only put oil on the top of the hood and will polish the excess oil off in a few days and then wash it so it should be fine (I hope).

2. Philip

Philip Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    sunflower oil will soak into the wood but over time will become very sticky and your nightmare will start. sand down the wood, use a sanding sealer , allow to dry, use a 160grit sand paper and lightly sand hood until a smooth surface is achieved. Use a clear varnish and allow to dry and to allow to stand for a few days to irradicate any vanish smells.

3. Discus

Discus Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Your hood is likely made of plastic? Sunflower oil will tend to attract dust and things. Pain to clean.

Scrub it all off with soap, and then respray the hood with some spraypaint. Bingo. Let it dry for a day or two outside so all the fumes go away.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

It's one of those black hoods, sorry for not being more specific.

I had to scrub it off with hot water & sunlight and then sprayed it off with the hose pipe.

So far it still looks like a new canopy, it saved me R100 from having to buy one so I am happy :)