Main Display Tank "rescaped"

Discussion in 'Aquascaping and Member's Setups' started by Laure, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Laure

Laure Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Hi all

I haven't posted pictures or updated my tank thread in a very long time. So...here it is!

I decided to change the scape a little bit. Dropped the water level by 50%, then took out many of the foreground plants, moved the wood around, took out some more water, filled up to about 60% level and then took most of that out again. I had to do all those water changed, because the water was quite cloudy due to substrate disturbance. I also vacuumed like crazy! So right now, I have a scape that I am reasonably happy with.

There are still some elements that bother me. Things are not yet where I want them, but all in due time. More about this later.

For now, this is a full tank shot. I just took the pictures with my cellphone, and also during the day, so please excuse the reflections.

[​IMG]

What I tried to do was create a focal point based on the wood display. I think I managed to arrange the wood in a way that I am quite happy with. Behind the wood I have my largest stem plants, Limnophila Aromatica. I started of with only a single stem, fairly short, and have managed to get to this stage now. This is said to be a difficult plant, but I have found it fairly easy to grow. It is really nitrate hungry. I find that if I don't add 5ppm NO3 daily, the leaves immediately start withering away. At some stage in the not too distant future, I should have a nice full stand of Aromatica behind the wood and the contrast should be quite nice.

On either side of the Aromatica I have Heteranthera Zosterifolia. For some reason I am still battling to get these to grow nicely.

In front of the wood I planted a row of Eleocharis Acicularis. They should fill in quite nicely pretty soon.

[​IMG]

You can also see the Marsilea sp. carpet plant in front of the Eleocharis. I had to rip up most of the carpet for this rescaping task. I cut the long runners to about 4cm sections and replanted them. It was not a simple task!

Here is another angle.

[​IMG]

More to follow...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. Laure

Laure Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    That large Aponogeton Crispus does not fit the scape design, nor does the large Echinodorus towards the right back. But I am hessitant to pull those out. I may cause too much substrate disturbance due to their large root systems. Besides, I've had that Aponogeton for a long time and I am not too keen to part with it just yet. One of the major problems is that it shades a large part of the tank around it, and I cannot really plant much around it. Perhaps some dwarf Crypts? I have some in the front left corner, where the light is quite low. Please excuse the poor picture, I battled to get the focus right with my cellphone camera:

[​IMG]

I have some GSA on the glass at the moment, but I am not too worried about that. It should go away after a few weeks. Due to all the substrate disturbance I did another large water change last night, just to be sure. I also dosed Erythromycin because there seem to be a BGA bloom starting up and I want to get rid of it immediately.

I have some BBA trouble, but then again, this issue was there before I started this rescape. I am thinking that perhaps I need to dose Excel for a few weeks to get rid of the BBA.

And now for some stats on this tank:

Fish:
    8 Pterophyllum scalare (4 male, 4 female)
    25 Paracheirodon axelrodi (Cardinal tetras)
    35 Hyphessobrycon rosaceus (Rosy tetras)

Plants:
    Aponogeton crispus
    Echinodorus barthii
    Echinodorus 'rubin'
    Limnophila aromatica
    Heteranthera zosterifolia
    Marsilea sp (possibly hirsuta or crenata)
    Eleocharis acicularis
    Cryptocoryne beckettii 'petchii'
    Nymphaea sp

Tank:
    150 x 45 x 60 cm
    Volume 300l
    2 x 54W T5H0 Sylvania 865 tubes on a timer from 13:00 to 19:00
    2 x 54W T5H0 Sylvania 865 tubes on a timer from 16:30 to 21:30

Dosing:
    DSD K+, DSD Mg+, DSD traces weekly after water change as per recommended dosage instructions
    KNO3 5ppm daily

Maintenance:
    30% to 50% water change weekly, including gravel vacuum
    occasionally I clean the glass

And finally, a closer picture of some of the Scalare angel fish:

[​IMG]

3. wearsbunnyslippers

wearsbunnyslippers Administrator Staff Member

• Super Admin
    23%
    tank is looking good! i like the way you have arranged the wood, and it will look great with a stand of aromatica behind it. the hairgrass still has to convert, it will great once it starts spreading out...

i think you have marsilea minuta, not crenata or hirsuta

4. Laure

Laure Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    I am still going to send you some; don't fear!

There seem to be some confusion around the classification of some of the Marsilea species. Minuta is in fact really really tiny. It may be that I have Minuta; it was sold to me as Crenata. However, submerged they all look pretty much the same. From what I can remember, when I bought them in emersed form, they looked more like Hirsuta. There is an article on Tropica's site regarding M. Hirsuta...submerged mine looks pretty much like that. But then again, I don't have examples of each type to compare the sizes, and pictures can be misleading.

5. Laure

Laure Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    I forgot to add in the above posts that I would really appreciate some comments and criticisms...and perhaps some ideas on how to improve the sides of the tank. I do want to move the 2 large plants either side; this will happen as soon as the tank settled down again as I suspect a fair amount of substrate disturbance will take place.

Keep in mind those areas do not receive a lot of light, so perhaps low light stems, or crypts, or perhaps nothing? Just let the carpet cover those areas?

I have always likes the look of long leaved plants with wild-type angels (valis, balansae, cyperus, etc). Any thoughts?

6. wearsbunnyslippers

• Super Admin
    23%
    dont the crenata and hirsute have lobed leaves?

7. Laure

Laure Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
  8. shihr

shihr Administrator Staff Member

• Super Admin
    23%
    LOOKS VERY NICE..maybe take a pic without the flash for us? flash just kills the natural beauty of tanks :(

9. Laure

Laure Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Thanks

I will try and take some better pictures when I have a bit more time to play around. This was just a quick job.

10. boebie

boebie Green fingers

• APSA Member
    9%
    Looks great Laure, can't wait for that carpet to spread. Going to be a stunner!

11. Firefly

Firefly Green fingers

• APSA Member
    9%
    Looks really good and the angels have amazing coloring.

12. Rudi

Rudi Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    I find it strange that your aromatica is so green.Your lights seem to be sufficient.What ferts are you using?

13. Laure

Laure Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Yes I know. I am also wondering the same thing. Browsing the web, there seem to be plenty theories. Higher light, N limitation, etc. Right up at the surface the underside of the leaves are bright pink. So perhaps light intensity plays the biggest role? But then again, some stems go pink from about the middle of the tank and others just don't. I know it's a fairly variable plant. But it doesn't stress me too much. However, I wish it was more pink. Do you have any experience/thoughts on this?

14. Laure

Laure Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    I found this on APC forum:

15. Laure

Laure Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Hi all

Some picture updates.

Heteranthera zosterifolia
    [​IMG]

Limnophila aromatica still green and not pink :(
    [​IMG]

And then some really annoying GDA. Any ideas? Can't seem to get rid of it...
    [​IMG]

16. wearsbunnyslippers

• Super Admin
    23%
    can you post your dosing regime again?

17. Laure

Laure Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    OK here goes:
    I guess I need to mention some other apects too. 2 x 54W T5 9 hours per day. I stopped using 2 additional T5's as a burst. And Tom Barr tells me I still have too much light I must raise the fixture 10" but that can't happen it's a sit-on-top canopy.
    This is a non-CO2 tank. Fairly decent surface movement, Tetratec EX1200 external cannister with Sera Siporax. Additional powerhead for more water circulation.
    DSD micros once a week as per instructions
    DSD K+ and DSD Mg+ once a week as per instructions
    KNO3 used to add about 5ppm daily in the mornings for 1st five days of the week after WC, maybe sometimes the 6th day also and then nothing on the day that I will do WC, which normally happens late afternoon. But as of this week I am only adding half dosage, so 2.5ppm daily.
    I don't add phosphates, and have not measured them either. They could be high, but I do between 30% and 50% WC every week, so not much chance of a huge build up.

18. wearsbunnyslippers

• Super Admin
    23%
    the phosphates could be your problem...

to get the best reds from your plants, people limit nitrates and increase phosphates and iron.

you should have enough iron from DSD.

the gda also makes me think you do not have enough phosphates.

try adding some and see what happens, it is old fashioned thinking to think that phosphates cause algae, i have seen someone dosing 20x the amount of recommended phosphates and the tank looked perfect.

19. Laure

Laure Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    I think the high phosphate doing goes along with high CO2 dosing. As this is a non-CO2 tank with what I believe to be lowish light, I don't think the phosphate uptake will be too high. Then again, there seems to be some contradictions as to what people believe.

Barr is always of the opinion that he can dose whatever he wants and does not induce algae by increasing the dosages. But his light is usually quite strong and his CO2 is high. Almost always start with high plant biomass. Never waiting for a grow-out period. Nice to have the money...and the stock available! So growth is always good and ferts, no matter what you put in, is never an issue.

But if you read the MCI (Christian Rubilar) then he is of the opinion you can induce GSA by having a higher balance of N to P, and induce GDA by a higher balance of P to N. Both with high CO2 and high light. So...if that is to be believed, is GDA then related to high levels of P? But you are telling me I should add more P?

The other thing is that algae is never nutrient limited. I guess the idea is to have a large plant biomass with good growth and then that will outcompete the algae. Perhaps I should just wait it out a bit?

Who else here has had issues with GDA in non-CO2 tanks and how did you combat that?

20. shihr

shihr Administrator Staff Member

• Super Admin
    23%
    GDA is the brown film on your glass right? wel if its that, just a wild guess here.. i usually get that with new tanks.. MAYBE (i have no backing) its due to amonia? when it happens to me, it usually gets better once the filter settles in? just a guess..