Looking for Rarer Plecos(preferably Leopard Frog)

Discussion in 'Fish for sale or trade' started by Jonny, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Trev Pleco

Trev Pleco Algae destroyer

• APSA Member
    23%
    They travel pretty well and are hardy, some folk have taken them back north by car in winter with a night stop over and no probs..

2. Jonny

Jonny Noob

• APSA Member
    55%
    Oh ok, that's good.

Are there any couriers that would ship/handle live animals and/or would it be a viable option?

3. mattlamm

mattlamm Green fingers

• APSA Member
    51%
    Yes, I think these guys are going to be your best bet. They do bring in the rare plecos fairly regularly. Last time I was in there (Mid December) they had Orinoco Angel plecos (these are awesome), Orange Seam plecos and a couple different variations of the Royal pleco (also really nice if you get the right one). Then you mentioned you after a Leopard Frog. Well I haven't seen that one but they have also brought in a few times a pleco that is going by the name Amazon pleco or Chameleon pleco, but I think it is actually a Butterfly Pleco. They are not as striking in colour as the Leopard Frog, but similar pattern made up of light and dark browns.

If you want to look up more info on the ones I mentioned check this site : http://www.planetcatfish.com/
    Also just read up on what they eat and how big they grow. There are some awesome ones that stay fairly small in the 12cm region, but some get pretty big. Also they don't all just eat algae and can have specific dietary requirements.

Hope you ready to pay though cos all these kinds of plecos range from R450 - R600 a pop.

4. mattlamm

mattlamm Green fingers

• APSA Member
    51%
    I have been searching for ages and slowly building a collection of these kinds of plecos. From what I have seen in the last year this seems to be the ones that tend to come in at the moment :
    Royal Pleco
    Butterfly Pleco
    Orinoco Angel Pleco
    Orange Seam Pleco
    Clown Pleco
    And then some pleco they simply label as a "Hypancistrus" but this isn't really very accurate as there are a wide variety of Hypancistrus out there.

They are a bit of a mission to get your hands on and the dollar isn't helping the price of them which also makes the pet shops reluctant to bring them in.

5. Jonny

Jonny Noob

• APSA Member
    55%
    Hi mattlamm

That's some really awesome info you shared there! Thanks :thumb:

I have come across that website before and have been the source of a bit of reading I've been doing. I'm sure after your small collection it's become quite the wallet killer.
    I am not too worried about the price, I find them fascinating and just love to have a couple small ones(I don't want any large ones like the commons just yet) swimming about in my tanks. I think my biggest fear is death as I bought a pricier fish recently and it didn't make 2 days, went to the store the next day and 2 were dead in the tank so it wasn't so great.
    Anyways! I'd like to do the same, build just a small collection of these nicer plecos, speaking of which these butterfly plecos are beautiful.

Another consideration as always is breeding some easier ones so that I can help out the guys here so we can at least sell some more appropriate plecos compared to everyone buying commons that grow too big. Not a requirement but rather a consideration.

I'll definitely give the guys in Hillcrest a call and see what they have then I can take a drive up there sometime.

Thanks again for the reply!

6. mattlamm

mattlamm Green fingers

• APSA Member
    51%
    Hey Jonny, you're welcome for the info. I've been struggling to find much chatter on the local forums about plecos so it's nice to come across someone else who is interested in them. It would be awesome if there were more local breeders like you mention. Some of these plecos do breed relatively easily from what I've read and I'm trying my hand with the clowns at the moment. Just waiting for them to grow a bit so I can see if I've got males and females. Unfortunately looks like I only have males at the moment as 2 out of my 4 definitely look male. Oh, keep an eye out for the clown plecos, they quite a bit cheaper. I got mine for R120 each. They pretty hardy and stay quite small too.

7. Jonny

Jonny Noob

• APSA Member
    55%
    @mattlamm

That's great, I actually just gave those guys a call and it looks like that have some clown plecos which look fairly good in a quick google search. I was thinking that they would be a nice addition and shouldn't set me back too much and now that you mentioned them I think I'm going to get me a group, 2 for the community tank(maybe just 1) and 2 for my brand new tank(nearly cycled). Maybe if I get a pair that strike it off I can also get into breeding them and I can sell them locally.
    Hurray! Not just common pleco's everywhere! :hello2:

8. mattlamm

mattlamm Green fingers

• APSA Member
    51%
  9. Jonny

Jonny Noob

• APSA Member
    55%
    Thanks man, hopefully I get at least of of each gender otherwise under the right light they look awesome.

10. PsyXe

PsyXe Green fingers

• APSA Member
    9%
    Clown plecos are nice, very like leopard frog plecos. I have 4 leopard frogs that I bought at a shop in Centurion, I'll see if I can find their details to send to you. I also think that the Hillcrest place (Something Exotic) is a good place for unusual plecs, I saw a number of different nice ones there on about 1 Jan.

11. Jonny

Jonny Noob

• APSA Member
    55%
    Thanks, driving up there tomorrow and will post what I see(not sure if it's allowed? :) ) in case anyone else would like to know.

BTW: Great artwork PsyXe! It's awesome.

12. JP01

JP01 Moderator Staff Member

• Global moderator
    73%
    You can post what you find by all means.

13. Jonny

Jonny Noob

• APSA Member
    55%
    So guys, for anyone interested in my findings at Something Exotic Pets in Hillcrest, here are the few I found there.

They were a little expensive compared to what I've heard from other guys here on the forums have said.

Clown Plecos, had 4 of them - R220
    Amazon Pleco, one - R540 I think
    Orange Seam, one, still very small - R525 (looked awesome)
    2 oddly named Plecos going for R525 but had similar marks to that of a clown/butterfly pleco(not as prominent as a butterfly). Unfortunately I cannot remember the name but it was the scientific name for like the family when I looked them up.

He also said he gets in Royal, Orinoco Angel and Green Phantom plecos from time to time as well.

I think that was about it for the fancier plecos, they had normal, sailfins and albinos as well, no Ancustris as far as I can recall.

Even though it was more expensive the guy there that helped me was awesome, knew his stuff and sounded like he really had a thing for plecos. :thumb:

I ended up going for just 2 clown plecos although the Orange Seam really tempted me but mattlam kindly informed me of some place in Amanzimtoti that can get Orange Seam for R330(limited though).
    Watching them this afternoon, the Clown Plecos were a bit shy, the one especially but they pop out to say hi every now and then.

One thing I am just a little worried about is that I don't have any driftwood and was hoping to get some there but the guy said its difficult to get as the importation of them(as products I guess) have been banned.
    I'm doing research on DIY driftwood but there can be many many things that can go wrong, worst case scenario it can make the fish sick and become fatal.

Anyways, hope this helps, if anyone is looking for these little guys.

14. mattlamm

mattlamm Green fingers

• APSA Member
    51%
    Nice, enjoy the clowns, they are cool little plecos. Just make sure you have a couple of different spots for them to hide as they can be territorial between each other. So long as they can each pick a spot you'll be fine. I have 4 together and they all get along no problems. I did have to rearrange my wood after adding in a Royal a while back though because for some reason it seemed intent on taking over the biggest clown's spot and he wouldn't back down. Clown was damaging the Royal. Once rearrange everyone find new spots and they were happy.

Surprised you battling to find wood. All the shops down in Durbs have it pretty much all the time. Clowns do need wood in their diet so get some as soon as you can. I'm not sure about the DIY route and what you can and can't add. Try adding in some baby marrow or cucumber for them to eat. Just remove what ever isn't eaten within 24hrs. I usually put in over night and remove the next morning. You'll need a weight to make it sink to the floor for them.

Yeah the guy up at Something Exotic is really cool. Sounds like you dealt with Chris. He is super cool and really into his fish. Always has tons of time for you if you have questions to ask about the fish you buying which is great because some stores have no idea what they selling!

The pleco that you can't remember, it was probably labelled as a Hypancistrus. I'm not sure why it is simply labelled like that as there are many Hypancistrus, but I have seen a pleco up there that is labelled as such and was similar looking but not as nice as the clowns. I haven't taken the time to go through all the Hypancistrus species to pick which one it is. This will be the name they got on the order sheet so guess that's why they labelled it so.

15. mattlamm

mattlamm Green fingers

• APSA Member
    51%
    Wow Trevor. I got blocked trying to watch this video at work and just remembered to go back and take a look now. Your tank is absolutely awesome and those ancistrus are really incredible! Think I have seen one once down here, but it was tiny and an albino one.

16. JP01

JP01 Moderator Staff Member

• Global moderator
    73%
    I found 5 x long fin ancistrus yesterday at Loolilocks and they are beautiful!