Local No Grow List (Black List)

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plant Species' started by shihr, Jun 19, 2013.

1. HennieRoux

HennieRoux Plant menace

• APSA Member
    10%
    Prof I scanned the list, but I cannot see any fresh water shrimp on there? Or did I miss it?

2. Chongkie

Chongkie Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    23%
    Guys, quick question... is the Bucephalandra Sp on the blacklist?

3. Dirk B

Dirk B Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    73%
    No, Buchephalandra species are extremely slow growing, slower than crypts and Anubias, so they pose no invasive potential and were added to the permitted list at the end of 2012. Now we just need to get imports from Anubias or someone else to be able to get some!

Kind regards,

Dirk

Luis Embalo likes this.
  4. Chongkie

Chongkie Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    23%
    Thanks @Dirk B , that is good news!

5. th3fishman

th3fishman Noob

• APSA Member
    65%
    Hi Guys, sorry for bumping this thread at this stage, but I have no choice, as you seem like the only people who knows whats happening. Hygrophilia Polysperma : What is the status of this plant? Can anyone provide me with authoritative source please?

6. Dirk B

Dirk B Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    73%
    Banned, and strictly so!

Deadpool likes this.
  7. th3fishman

th3fishman Noob

• APSA Member
    65%
    Hi Dirk B.

Thank you. I actually just saw that you had already mentioned that H. Polysperma is banned on Page 2 I think. My mistake. I am just getting tired of walking into local, supposedly reputable LFS stores here, and being sold illegal things. One doesn't walk into Musica and expect to buy pirated stock, or go into a food store checking whether every item is within sell by date, or not poisonous (I'm sure you get my point) but now I first have to go through a species list in an LFS store, and phone governments and query with forums before I can purchase a plant? Ridiculous, and horrible business practice if you ask me. This is a very discouraging scenario. I would like to be able to spend my money with trust, and enjoy this hobby. Right now, as it stands, my findings is that this hobby, especially this new Planted Tank scene in SA is becoming a suspicious scenario to me. I hear rumours that those who are quick to condemn others for owning a blacklisted species are the ones who themselves own blacklisted species of plant and animals. On this very forum here APSA, there are people who blatantly say that they have blacklisted species in their possession, but there is no condemnation on them? Is there a special, elite "click" of people here that one needs to be part of, or a certain level of "scientific knowledge" or fishkeeping experience one has to possess to be exempt from the law? Don't get me wrong, I have no intentions to be a criminal, and so, I will destroy the plant I have now been sold, and this will be the second time I have to rid my hobby of criminal activity. The last was the Cabomba Caroliniana I bought froms SAMS aquarium which I had to dry out and destroy. This is very upsetting. Shame on the LFS stores for acting ignorant, all for the sake of money. Makes me sick.

Thanks again for providing the documentation and knowledge to all involved, and thanks for the confirmation @Dirk B.

PS, please excuse this rant, but my patience has run dry in regards to this matter. I want to see more action been taken against perpetrators.

Dewald likes this.
  8. redfin

redfin Noob

• APSA Member
    65%
    @th3fishman:
    If i understand this post correctly,plants on that list may not be imported.
    This doesn't mean that you are a criminal for having H.polysperma in your tank or that the LFS is not allowed to trade stock that's already in the country.

9. th3fishman

th3fishman Noob

• APSA Member
    65%
    Hi @redfin. Nice to hear from you, maybe its just a coincidence, but I'm the guy you shared the cost with on a half bag of H.Polysperma on Monday. With regards to your post, I'm afraid at this stage I don't believe that whole "allowed to trade, not import....." I think its a phrase used by the people trying to work compromise the law. Its a neat little phrase that will get the plant sold, by numbing the conscience for that brief time in the LFS, until you go home, do you homework and find out what the Government has to say, and you will quickly see that what is being said "on the streets" and what the authorities have decided are two different things. I am sorry to be a "kill-joy" but this is the reality, and the truth is, we are being ripped off by those taking chances with the law. I am yet to be convinced....in which authoritative document does it state that : We are allowed to trade, breed, and keep the species but just not import? Can someone show me?

10. redfin

redfin Noob

• APSA Member
    65%
    Hi @th3fishman :
    I know it's you i shared the plants with on monday.
    To my knowledge blacklisted means banned from being imported....so i am not killing my plants just yet.
    Perhaps someone more knowledgeable in these matters can shed some light on this?

11. Deadpool

Deadpool Algae destroyer Staff Member

• APSA Member
    • Sponsor
    73%
    If you dont wanna "kill" your plants...that's all up to you, but dont trade or give it to someone not knowing what it is. And when trimming, throw the clippings on your lawn outside...

12. redfin

redfin Noob

• APSA Member
    65%
    Ok,i will do that!
    So does this mean the LFS is breaking the law by selling these plants over the counter?

13. Dirk B

Dirk B Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    73%
    Yes, I can confirm that Hygrophila polysperma is on the list of plants banned from importation. This plant has invasive potential and is therefore banned from further importation as a possible preventative measure to stop it becoming an invasive. Somehow, someone has allowed this phrase "allowed to trade, not import....." to creep in, it is not on the permits, it was dreamt up by some devious person in the trade.

If you want to know which plants are banned then you need to look at the government gazette in which these plants are listed, it is also here somewhere on APSA. Cabomba caroliana is listed there as one of the banned plants, together with Elodea and Egeria densa. So that is why you were advised to destroy your Cabomba caroliana. What is sold in this country as Elodea is in actual fact Egeria densa and is a worldwide scrouge, it is seriously invasive and has taken over dams in the Western Cape. I see it regularly in petshops as a plant for goldfish bowls, yet utterly banned. It is just as banned as water hyacinth which you can see in vast amounts on the Salt River where it has to be removed at vast expense.

If you need advice about this, you don't have to ask someone at DAFF, just ask here. The list was drawn up by a lady botanist who worked at DAFF until a few years ago and myself. When new plants have to be approved, I get asked by DAFF to do the assessments, at no charge, I might add. So you have the expert in front of you!

Kind regards,

Dirk

BugMan, Keke89, Adrian and 1 other person like this.
  14. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Valued Contributor

• APSA Member
    23%
    shihr likes this.
  15. th3fishman

th3fishman Noob

• APSA Member
    65%
    Hi Mr B.

Thank you for this informative and practical information. It is good to know that someone of your knowledge and experience is here to guide us. After some "Googling" I believe you are a respected man in your field of study, and its refreshing to see someone as passionate about biodiversity as you are.

That being said, yes, the phrase "can be traded, kept, and bred, but not imported and distributed" has now gotten to the point where it upsets me, and I will tell whomever says that to me again, that they are in fact lying, and bordering criminal intent.

Guys, this is an appeal, please lets be more "streetwise" and discerning about this matter. It is not acceptable for companies to be selling things that are against the law, and, yes I will go there now...the companies can be heavily fined or in fact closed down. And if this ignorance continues, then Im afraid, those guilty will be putting this beautiful hobby to great shame, and possible further restrictions, and mark my words, this government will make it no slow move to ban a 1st world hobby, especially in this country people. If money is tight, which it always is, and the government is faced with following dillemma : Train services need to be upgraded, security needs to be upgraded, educational systems need attention, and roads need maintenance and lastly rivers need to be cleared of invasive species of flora and fauna destroying our ecosystem due to irresponsible and criminal activity within the fishkeeping hobby, which of these my friends will be the first to be put down, and restriced? Im sure I've made my point.

If anyone disagrees, or sees things differently, dont hesitate to leave some feedback here, its by time the fog starts clearing.

@Joshua Tree, thank you for the suggestion. Its great to know that I can browse such a beautiful and professional website, and buy plants without having to worry about all this blacklisting stuff. Thanks again @shihr

RoGe and shihr like this.
  16. bhorstmann

bhorstmann Noob

• APSA Member
    65%
    I've just read through this whole thread and unsure what the correct procedure is for dealing with a plant in your tank that is on the blacklist.

I bought a bag of polysperma from a large LFS in Cape Town less than three weeks ago. They have it in every display tank. It was identified for me by members of APSA this afternoon.

Do I have to destroy the plant? Or do I only take care with cuttings?

17. Paul

Paul Plant menace

• APSA Member
    77%
    You can keep the plants but cannot trade it or give it away to someone not knowing what it is. also if you dispose of any cuttings be sure that it is destroyed good and solid and that it does not get into any streams drain pipes etc.

18. Dirk B

Dirk B Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    73%
    Hi Bryan,

The advice given by bhorstmann is very sensible and correct, and I would advise that you follow his/her advice. Hygrophila polysperma has invasive potential in the north of South Africa, which is why its importation is banned. However, it has a very low invasive potential here in the Cape because of the cold winters and the hot dry summers.

Kind regards,

Dirk

19. Dirk B

Dirk B Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    73%
    Hey whats going on, I was definitely not up at 04h30 to write this post, it was around 06h30? @shihr?

20. shihr

shihr Administrator Staff Member

• Super Admin
    23%
    mine shows the right time?

upload_2015-10-29_11-55-48.png

check your computer/cellphone locale settings @Dirk B ?