Live food

Discussion in 'General Aquatic Talk' started by abraham, Apr 15, 2007.

1. abraham

abraham Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Does anyone know if there is there any good source of live food in jhb.. Daphnia, white worms, etc?

2. HellRaiser

HellRaiser Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Every Friday and Saturday Guppies for Yuppies has live bloodworms, brine shrimp and daphnia... They sell them in small bags with the live critters squirming around... The frozen alternative is good, but seeing them chase their food it better
    LOL

3. abraham

abraham Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    thanx hellraiser ;)

1. Does anyone anywhere know where i can get white worms? and micro worms?

2. Does anyone know what ga ga worms are? I think its the larvae of the soldier fly. ( not house fly)

4. abraham

abraham Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    HI Everyone..

Lets try again.. does anyone know where i Ca get hold of "Micro worms" and / or "White worms" ???

I have figured out that the "ga ga worms" sold at pet shops are in fact the larvae of the black soldier fly. easy to raise on bread / oats etc. but a bit tough for our fish. they are better for reptiles birds etc.

abraham

5. Pedro

Pedro Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    They're also known as grindal worms if I'm not mistaken - run a search on Google for Grindal worm cultivation

6. philfarm

philfarm Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    53%
    iv been wondering my dafnia buckets seem to be full of blood worms or blood worm look-a-likes, these are safe for the fish right?

7. alan

alan Noob

• APSA Member
    55%
    its not blood worm its larve from the mozi
    alan

8. abraham

abraham Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Hi

=>Pedro: White worms is an annelid.. or related to the earthworm.. so are Grindal worms.. similar but small difference. I would appreciate any of the two if anyone has.. Micro worms on the other hand are nematodes. (or round worms) In the plant industry people usually cringe when they hear "nematodes" cause they can be disastrous for many crops... and ornamentals alike. the micro worms are however not parasitic. and live quite happily on pronutro and milk. :)

I have cultured them all in the past but don't seem to be able to get a new starter culture for any of these

=> alan and philfarm. those could well be blood worms. mozi larvae has a definite head. blood worms usually stay on the bottom of the containers during the day . usually covering themselves with any debris thats on the bottom. they usually come p into the "open" and up to the surface when it gets dark. I usually have some blood worms in my containers. the eggs are laid at night time and can often be seen as jelly like strings with tiny black specs in it. these usually hang on the sides of the container.