LED light heatsinks.

Discussion in 'Planted Tank Equipment' started by rterblanche, Jun 11, 2016.

1. rterblanche

rterblanche Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    53%
    Anybody know where I can source 1500mm length heatsinks?

Want to convert my big tank to LED and want to rest the heatsinks on the edge of the glass.

Longest I could find was 1200mm lengths. Was on bidorbuy.

Thanks Rudolph

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Clare likes this.
  2. skua

skua Green fingers

• APSA Member
    51%
    Hi Rudolph
    1200mm is the longest length proper heatsink that u will find in RSA. Longer lengths are available in America and Europe but they do not ship to RSA in small quantities. If you want to use proper heatsinks your only option would be to join two lengths ore to use shorter lengths from front to back. You can also use normal aluminum sheet plate, like the LED built from @Clare , ore you can go for any aluminum extrusion,like u channel,witch are available up to 6 meter lengths. I opt for the latter in my build.

Pieter.

image.jpeg

image.jpg

Joshua Tree and Clare like this.
  3. Clare

Clare Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    23%
    That looks great, @skua. I should keep this in mind for my next LED project and keep it neat.

4. SFlow

SFlow Green fingers

• APSA Member
    9%
    You should try Mantech. They have pretty much everything and are cheaper than bid or buy. Did q quick search and found aluminium finned heatsink 2m×15mm(height)×100mm(wide) for ~R600.

5. skua

skua Green fingers

• APSA Member
    51%
    Thanks @SFlow . I bye all my power supplies from them. Last November when I did my LED build they had the same extrusion but only up to 900mm. Seems like there is still suppliers in RSA that listens to there customers.:thumb:

Pieter

6. Fred van Vuuren

Fred van Vuuren Green fingers

• APSA Member
    9%
    got mine from mantech as well . They cut it to the length you desire

7. Clare

Clare Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    23%
    I just looked at Mantech - they don't seem to supply the leds in the light spectrum range I have in mind (they only have warm white Bridgelux ones is not what I am looking for) and no star-shaped cree heatsinks. I'm sticking with Improved Living PE as they supply the heatsinks, leds and drivers at once and I pay shipping on top of that. I source my other material from home - I was fortunate to be able to salvage wires from old computer cases which work very well (it's free) and lots of wood lying around. The aluminium bar was lucky - my dad buys from HBS Aluminium Systems in Durban and somehow that ended up on the order list which isn't what he wanted so two pieces was given to me so I got lucky there. I buy a lot of stuff online and get it shipped to me as it's, well, cheaper than driving all the way to Durban or Pietermartizburg with the rising fuel costs. It would be imperative for me to buy my stuff from one online store and just pay shipping one time instead of buying from all over the place, saving on costs. I'm on a tight budget so I try to save costs.

HBS also makes customizations so maybe give them a call and ask if they can make something to specification and have it shipped to you. There are also plenty of other places that can probably make customizations too.

HBS in Cape Town - http://www.hbs.co.za/index.php/contact-cape-town/

8. Wazi

Wazi Green fingers

• APSA Member
    9%
    You can also try a place called Rabtron. Some of the stuff is a bit pricy but others are cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R.C. likes this.