Kryo's back to Discus set-up

Discussion in 'Aquascaping and Member's Setups' started by Kryo, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Kryo

Kryo Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    Hi guys,

So here I am back to freshwater after a few years on the "dark side"... :p To be honest I really missed my freshwater tanks!

I will post photos tomorrow for all the pic crazy's!

Ok so here is goes:

Tank: Open Paludarium type (It has a glass shelf which I've modified slightly to accomodate Semi-aquatics above the water line).
    Dimensions: 1520mm L X 530mm W X 400mm H
    Lights: Odyssea quad 54w T5 Unit, with a mix of 10000k and Midday globes. (These will change later)
    CO2 - Regulator with Solenoid, hooked up to a pH Controller, bubble counter and diffuser.
    Bottom - ADA Amazonia with layer of power sand (visa versa) and probably some PFS.
    Supplements - Currently only Seachem Flourish products (Love this stuff!)
    Filtration - 2 X SICCE Space Adv 1.100 Canisters (http://www.sicce.com/prodottiDettaglio_eng.php/prodotto=space-adv-mod.-500-800-1.100/idprodotto=1
    Background - Outside on the back glass I will be putting window tint in black. On the inside back wall of the tank will be cork back plates.
    Heater - Hydor Inline 200w for summer and for winter another 200w will go inside the tank.
    Decoration: 2 X Large AWESOME! :headbang: Spiderwood Pieces with other smaller drift wood pieces I still had lying around. I'm going rock hunting on my friends farm this weekend. Her farm is 80% Pelindaba Rock and there are some awesome shapes and some with lots of fossils! Can't wait!

Other goodies:

RO Machine.
    Bubble Magnus tri doser for dosing supplements at a later stage.

Ok so there you have the basics of whats going to run this baby. I am sadly still standless, but that will hopefully be sorted soon!

I am still doing plant research (Have to refresh my memory again - out with the corals and in with the plants so to speak!) so can't give a list at the moment, but any suggestions and pic's thereof would be greatly appreciated!

As the subject line states, this tank will be for Discus. And having kept and bred them before I know the maintenance regimes that go with maintaining them. I used to do water changes every 2nd day back then, heavily pregnant and all! LOL!

I know this tank is a bit on the shallow side for adult discus but that doesn't mean a future taller tank won't be in the pipe line once the juveniles grow out a bit! :angel7:

Tank mates will most likely be a few cory's, ottos, cardinals, a pair of German Blue Rams and some other nice tetra's but nothing too busy for the Discus.

Well thats all for now. Hope you like the list above!

Cher

2. shan

shan Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    53%
    Hi Cher,

Good to have you this side. After my marine tank tanked, I left but miss it everyday.

This planted aquariums though are great fun and seriously cheaper and less time consuming -- but you know that.

You have some good equipment there and some great plans - cant wait to see it in the making.

Anyway, good luck and have fun.

Shan

3. sweetnsour

sweetnsour Plant menace

• APSA Member
    10%
    looking forward to the future of this tank Cher

4. Kryo

Kryo Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    Hello Guys

Not much of an update but I'm getting there!

The new stand should be arriving this friday. Only catch is that I'm going on holiday on friday and only coming back on the 17th! Its a bummer that I'll have to wait till I get back but at the same time I'm looking forward to it! :hello2:

Equipment change: For filtration I got 2 X Sicce Space Adv 800 canisters instead of the 1.100's. I also bought a SICCE Shark 800l/h internal filter, this is for just in case I need more flow and to assist in the beginning stages for carbon.

When I collect the stand I will be collecting the ADA Amazonia bags, CO2 Regulator and some other last bits and pieces.

Last weekend I went rock hunting and came back with a big box load of different shapes and sizes for the scape. So thats going to be fun! I also managed to pick up a 25kg bucket worth of clean river sand. I'm not sure if I'm going to use it but thought I'd take some for just in case.

Look at this pile of rock just waiting to be used in Aquascapes!
    [​IMG]

And some that are waiting to be collected!
    [​IMG]

One thing I really need your help with is plants. Where is the best place to buy some tough fast growers to break in the tank with?

Thanks for reading!

Cher

5. sweetnsour

sweetnsour Plant menace

• APSA Member
    10%
    I can always sell you some of my clippings

6. Lizid

Lizid Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    53%
    @Kryo
    Dude. I will give you some plants with pleasure, just tell me where you got them stones...

7. Slagter

Slagter Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    • Sponsor
    73%
    Nice Cher! Some of that rock looks great! Just please do yourself a favour and do a vinegar test on the rocks. Add a drop or 3 of vinegar to the rock, if it bubbles don't put it in your tank.

8. Kryo

Kryo Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    Yup know all about that. Most of it looks safe to us as it's pure solid pelindaba rock. But I'm going to test them all anyway.

9. Kryo

Kryo Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    My friends farm. She wants me to start selling it for her. So if you're interested give me a PM.
    She inherited the farm along with a lot of livestock which is costing her a small fortune to feed every month. So she needs to supplement her income a bit. She doesn't want to sell large scale, just to hobbists at present.

10. feathers

feathers Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Looking forward to see this tank up and running ;) Know what the marine side looked like and it was a pure WOW! Knowing your passion and being able to help you here and there I may just start the tropical side again ;P

11. Kryo

Kryo Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    Ok so I just spent a hour scrubbing some of the rocks I brought home from the farm.

Here's some of them:
    [​IMG]

And some more:
    [​IMG]

I still have about 1/3 left of the big box I brought home. I should have put something next to them so you can compare the size of some of them. But all in all I'm very happy with what I collected.

Cleaning them I noticed a lot of Crystal in the rock. Some of them are pure blue crystal with the usual type of "shell" rock covering it. Really cool and going to look awesome underwater! There is some slate in there too.

Will be doing vinegar tests on all sides to make sure nothing will leach.

Hope you enjoyed the eye candy!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  12. shihr

shihr Administrator Staff Member

• Super Admin
    23%
    That's very cool! Where is ur friends farm situated?

13. Slagter

Slagter Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    • Sponsor
    73%
    Very nice Cher! I think those rocks would be very cool...

But I think you need to go back and get some bigger pieces!! The bigger the better!

14. Kryo

Kryo Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    LOL! I think these will be ok for what I have in my head. Still got a few pieces left from my old freshwater days lying around somewhere which I will probably also consider.

@Shihr - The farm is close to JHB and is about 22 hecters. The whole thing is rock. Even the house is built out of the rock! About a hecter or two of it needs to be cleared for grazing for the livestock (Sheep mostly) and a small farming area for the workers that stay on the farm. It is in the area that is to be cleared that there are rocks like the piles in the first photos I posted. The rest must stay as is, as she wants to turn the farm into a hiking/nature retreat type place.

15. shihr

• Super Admin
    23%
    wow nice! when can we go take a look at the rocks? and how much is she thinking of selling for?

16. shihr

• Super Admin
    23%
    and could you please take some closeups of the rocks? thanks!

17. Kryo

Kryo Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    Will do tomorrow when I wash the rest.

18. Kryo

Kryo Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    Hi Guys and Ladies

Happy New Year and all the good stuff that goes with it!

First off please excuse the crappy quality of the pictures. They were taken with my iphone as I was too lazy to dig out my big canon!

Its been a while since I last updated. If you recall I was battling to find someone to build a stand for this tank after the cabinet fiasco.

Well I found someone (The Serious Reefer), who I must say came to our rescue big time and managed to pick the stand up just before Christmas! It's rock solid, primed, Hammerited and painted, so this one will be with us for a very long time. It didn't have any feet so we picked up some really cool leveling feet from builders while we were at it. Here's the first pic.

[​IMG]

So we finally got the stand and the slow process of setting up began. This tank as mentioned is a paludarium type and we want it to look very nature like, so I picked up some cork bark from a Pet Shop, steam cleaned it and roasted it in boiling water and began sticking it on the top section of the paludarium.

[​IMG]

All dried and ready!

[​IMG]

Next came the laying of the various soils and silica pool sand. We want the scape to have a bit of depth so we first layed out the tropica soil....

[​IMG]

Then we positioned cardboard to separate the sections...

[​IMG]

On top of the Tropica Soil we placed a 2cm - 4cm layer of Pool Silica sand.

[​IMG]

Then came the ADA Power sand in the two islands we created on the left and right.

[​IMG]

And lastly the ADA Amazonia Soil.

[​IMG]

So, here is what the cork bark section at the top looks like. We picked up some river moss and river grass during our last visit to the farm, I put some of the moss. I feed it with a 380l/h resun king which I plumbed to overflow into the top section, so we have a little water fall effect going down. Really cool I must say!

[​IMG]

The plants were placed mostly adhoc and are not all in their final positions. I know some will have to move to mid-ground etc etc. BIG THANKS to SweetnSour who helped us out with a large bunch of fast growers to get us going! Thanks Wade! :occasion14:

So here is a left side shot.

[​IMG]

And a right side shot.

[​IMG]

And a full frontal......

[​IMG]

And for those who love pics of the "engine room" here is one of underneath the tank. The canister is an Aquael dual in and out flow. I picked it up from TSR when I picked up the ADA soils. They are landing in February from Poland if anyone is interested and I have to say that out of all the canisters I've had over the years e.g: Eheim, Tetra and fluval, this has to be the easiest to prime and the most silent I've ever had! It is rated for a 500L system and I have positioned the in's and out's on either side of the tank so the flow in there is incredible and I haven't noticed any dead spots!

[​IMG]

A little more info on the equipment side.

The Aquael Canister.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And I have this UV accessory on pre-order for February! :hello2:

[​IMG]

I picked up one of these 5 in 1's from TSR as well... Works like a dream.

[​IMG]

I have a Hydor in line 200w heater plumbed on the other side of the in lets. Thats the beauty in have dual in's and outs on one canister! Makes life sooooo much easier!

Anyway, I hope I haven't bored you too much! Again keep in mind not all the plants are in their final positions, and also there will be some that will be coming out entirely, so don't critise too hectically! :p

Oh and she's only been up and running for 8 days now....

Have a good one!

Cher

19. Trepcoz

Trepcoz Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Holy cow! I want one!!!
    I don't know why but I realllllly like this!

Thanks for the engine room shot, I must be one of the few people who likes having the gear under the tank "on display" lol.
    How does the water in the very top bit work, is it filtered and pumped up and out of there or...?

The more stuff grows in the better its going to get. Great work!

20. sweetnsour

sweetnsour Plant menace

• APSA Member
    10%
    Awesome stuff the Cher glad you posting pictures of this lekker setup.