Invasion of the Body Snatchers (planarian parasites)

Discussion in 'General Aquatic Talk' started by philfarm, May 31, 2016.

1. philfarm

philfarm Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    53%
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After a quick google search I have concluded that these arent alien-parasites but Planarian worms, which is nearly as bad from the sound of things.

I havent seen anything on here about these little guys so I was wondering who has had any experience with them and if/how you managed to get rid of the buggers?

The link below has a fairly good explanation.

http://www.oscarfishlover.com/planarian

ps. its almost impossible to get a focused pic with a cellphone camera

tapwater likes this.
  2. tapwater

tapwater Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    53%
    I think adding salt is meant to scare them away

3. Deadpool

Deadpool Algae destroyer Staff Member

• APSA Member
    • Sponsor
    73%
    They arent as bad for your aquarium as you think...the biggest concern...they are unsightly. A hydra infestation on the other hand...that's an issue...specially if you breeding.

Everyone with substrate in their aquarium has planaria in their tank...whether they want to admit to it or not...and in limited numbers, you will most likely never even know you do have them.

They usually only "surface" from down below when there's limited O2 in your substrate. Keep up with your maintenance and you'll limit their numbers to the point where you hardly notice them. Water changes and gravel vacs are very important...as the debris left on your substrate is what they feed on. Limit the food supply...you limit the number of them (same with snails)

I'm not sure if salt works...but cories, mollies and some gourami's (if you like them...I personally dont) will snack on them with glee