info on aquarium air compressor

Discussion in 'D.I.Y.' started by alvin, Nov 1, 2007.

1. alvin

alvin Noob

• APSA Member
    80%
    hi folks
    ive seen a few of these aquarium air compressors in the pet stores for about r800. none of the staff had much info on how it works and whats the best application for it. i am quite keen on it because im thinking of connecting my many sponge filters to just one compressor, eliminating all the other noisy air pumps. does anyone know how this can be done and if so is it worth all that money? any help will be appreciated. tks :)

2. Andre

Andre Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    Hi Alvin

This can quite easily be done by connecting the compressor to a pvc piping system that runs around your fishroom.

Its best to make this a closed loop with 1 or 2 valves where you can bleed some air to avoid too much back pressure on the compressor.

You can then sink taps into the pvc piping and connect this with airline tubing to the sponge filters.

The best pump for the application is a linear piston air pump, if you are lucky enough to get your hands on one of these. They can handle more back pressure and are also MUCH quieter than a regenerative blower.

You can get some good info on doing this here:

http://www.tedsfishroom.com/air.html

3. alvin

alvin Noob

• APSA Member
    80%
    tks for the great advice andre
    i was toying with the idea of using irrigation piping and those plastic connectors used for plumbing the irrigation. still weighing up the pros and cons of purchasing the compressor. tks again for the advice :)

4. Gertjc

Gertjc Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Alvin, the only and best way is with irrigation tubing.
    used in a loop, is the best way. always leave a small hole or valve at the lowest point to drain water.
    i have used this method with blowers (Noisy!) in Pretoria and now in Cape Town. Remember that powerheads with venturi also work well!
    Good luck
    Gert