If you stand over here, you can almost see the sea...

Discussion in 'Please Introduce Yourself' started by STRiDER, Nov 12, 2006.

1. STRiDER

STRiDER Noob

• APSA Member
    80%
    Hi all

So glad I found this website.

Been dreaming of a tank for many, many years now and finally took the plunge... straight into the deep end it seems.

I feel confident that with all you guys out there I will be able to make a success of this!

Here's my setup so far
    1.5m Boyu with Aluminium Hood and Cabinet
    [​IMG]

Assorted plants and some substrate from local retailer
    [​IMG]

Equipment:
    Dophin 1600 Canister filter (1100l/hr),
    Style King SP1800 filter/powerhead/aeration(1100l/hr),
    300W Heater,
    3 x 40W fluorescents (Blue, White and Red) - not sure of specs
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Livestock:
    6 x Neon Tetras

Tank setup was 3 days ago. (Filter already running for 2 weeks in Pet-Shop tank). Started with water conditioners and starter pack.

Possible faults so far:
    1. Lighting : Maybe not enough. Seems like the blue one must go.
    2. Retailer adamant that all plants will grow in this light setup... seems unlikely
    3. Retailer adamant that plants will grow in this substrate. Looks like pea gravel with smallest parts 1mm and biggest 5mm. (Maybe too course?)
    4. Retailer can only supply more substrate next week. So I started the tank in the mean time. It would probably be fairly difficult to do the aquascape with the tank full :-\
    5. I have no idea what to do about fertilization. Open to suggestions.
    6. Added 6 Neon Tetras yesterday to start with tank maturation. They may be the wrong choice for a new tank, but so far they seem happy.
    7. The filter outlet is creating quite a lot of current (Neons exercising like hell). Should I add a spraybar?

What went wrong so far..
    1. Retailer supplied broken heater (got it swapped later same day)
    2. Electronic thermometer got stuck at 23 deg C. Almost fried the fish overnight. Tank still at 30 deg C but cooling. (Aiming at 26)

Please feel free to criticise (as long as its constructive). I am very willing to learn and realise that I have many hours of research to go...

And oh, I guess I have to say what I'm aiming to achieve.
    Well I figured I'll use the next few weeks to figure it out as the tank matures. Still dont know much about fish compatibility. Will definately be a community tank with a few shoals of small fish (appr 24 of each) with a few bigger fish in between (Maybe Discuss, but apparently thats for experts). Tank will be moderately planted, I guess about 30 plants with about 3 pieces of bogwood, still maturing in my bath (wife not happy) and a few rocks.

As I said, tips and comments welcome.

I also desperately need names of good Pet-Shops in Cape Town Area, I understand there's a good place in Riebeeck Kasteel (How does prices compare?)

Looking forward to become one of the locals on the forum.
    Thanks in advance

Andre du Toit (Guess we can stick with STRiDER, as there's already an Andre in here ;)

P.S. Sorry I was suppose to say what I do, etc...
    well me and wife are Pilot Instructors at Air Force Base Langebaanweg. Currently living on the base but busy building a house in Langebaan. Also proud owners of a chronically sulking daschund (Mila) and chronically overactive Jack Russel (Milo).

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. henk hugo

henk hugo Noob

• APSA Member
    WHOOOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! more pilots! i never knew those Astras can mke it past FL410 :funnyh: i'm involved with the Young Faclons at AFB Ysterplaat :wave:

glad you found the website. i will be alot of help. You might want to start with a good substrate in the tank and also its best to take the plants that grows in the substrate out of the pots and the fibers and also attach the anubias to the wood.

For plants and fish you must go to Nick at Riebeek - he is the best. for equipment its a split between two shops - depending on what you want. Aquah2o sells mostly the chineese imported stuff and some nice plants which Phillip imported.

Panorama Petshop sells the more normal stuff like Tetra and Hagen.

3. STRiDER

STRiDER Noob

• APSA Member
    80%
    Thanks Henk,

I'm leaving the plants in their pots until I have the substrate sorted out. I also mailed Nick Hart to set up a visit. Looks like only good things can come from visiting Riebeeck Kasteel :)

About the FL410, I used to fly Falcons and the Boeing Bussiness Jet at 21 Squadron. Already thinking of an aquarium for the Presidents bedroom onboard... ;D

Wonder how Neon Tetras will fare with explosive decompression... :eek:

4. henk hugo

henk hugo Noob

• APSA Member
    hahahahahaha - not to good i'll say :D

So you flew Fish Eagle... go check out my website www.shackletonproject.co.za might be of intrest

5. Ryan

Ryan Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    Hi Andre, a very warm welcome.

If you have questions about different aspects of your setup feel free to go and start a few threads in the relevant forums. That way it'll be easier for others to learn from your experiences.

Seems like you're off to a rather normal start - it's best to take most of what the guy selling you stuff says with a pinch of salt.

Kind regards,
    Ryan

6. Andre

Andre Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    Hey Andre... (great name by the way :) )

The tank definitely has potential. Let us know how it develops

7. d3tained

d3tained Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Welcome!!!!

8. Cameron

Cameron Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    A warm welcome Andre. Nice to have you here, your setup is off to a good start.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hi Andre,

That's a nice tank and it's going to be even nicer once you get it finished.

I personally only use a heater on my Tanganyikan tank. The other tanks sit at around 23 °C - 26 °C which is perfect for just about all tropical fish. It also gives the advantage of temperature fluctuations as would happen in nature and the best thing of all is that the thermostat won't get stuck and fry the fish. ;)

As for ferts go the DIY route. This hobby is expensive enough as it is with out spending a fortune on plant food.

10. STRiDER

STRiDER Noob

• APSA Member
    80%
    Hi All

Was suppose to study tonight, but alas - so much more rewarding working on my tank!! :p

Here's updated photos:

Aquascape almost complete:
    [​IMG]
    Just need to add bogwood in right hand corner (not fully cured yet)

Also added a spraybar (Tetras general fitness should definately decline now ;)
    [​IMG]

Also moved the filter into the cabinet
    [​IMG]

I added another 35 kilograms (80 lbs) of substrate; 10 more plants, bogwood and rock.
    Also introduced two Bronze Corydoras Catfish. They seem to be in heaven :hippy:

I also replaced 25% of water after conditioning and checking its temperature.

The water is still slightly murky due to substrate not being 100% clean (took me 4 hours to wash).

Hopefully tank will look better in a couple of days.

Planned for the weekend:
    1. Replace blue actinic 40W with something else. I have no idea what. Please give suggestions.

2. Replace carbon with something else. Sponge media maybe (more bacteria?)

3. Test water with master test kit.

4. Maybe lengthen spraybar to full width of tank. (If LFS still have bar left)

One last question (for now) : How important is a backing for the tank? What colour is best? Has anyone ever considered using a mirror as backing or will this confuse the fish?

Regards
    Andre

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  11. Nicolaas Nel

Nicolaas Nel Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Hi STRiDER,

Sorry a bit late, but welcome to our forum. You are lucky to have the "main" guy's all around you in CT.
    Your setup looks really great. I will be watching it close from now on. Have you ever done any "paragliding"?
    I once met an ex- Concord Pilot in the Swiss Alps on a flying tour, and he said, "There's nothing like flying a paraglider!"

12. STRiDER

STRiDER Noob

• APSA Member
    80%
    Hi Nicolaas

I have definitely considered paragliding, then last year one of my best friends got very badly injured in a paragliding accident. He is still not walking :-[

So I put it off for the meanwhile. Thinking of joining a regular glider club though - maybe too many hobbies at the moment + work + studying + + + ::)

Are you also involved in aviation?

13. Andre

Andre Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    The other day one of my colleagues paraglided over the langebaan airforce base without permission.

He got into a bit of trouble for that :)

14. STRiDER

STRiDER Noob

• APSA Member
    80%
    Oops!! :eek:

15. henk hugo

henk hugo Noob

• APSA Member
    CAA en MagnieSêNie was all over him :p

16. Nicolaas Nel

Nicolaas Nel Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Hi STRiDER,

Yes I did, until a crash landing, during a competition near Nelspruit, put an end to my flying. Its a miracle I'm walking as well, I still havent recovered fully yet. I made a stupid mistake, but not putting out my "landing gear" legs, and dropped onto my backside, smashing T12 vertibrae. Flying is a sport with "luck" no matter what you fly!

Back to aquatic's - I recently bought some "polished" gemstones gravel and put a layer on top of the gravel in my tank. I must say, when you look at the tank, you don't know if you must look at the fish or the stones, they are so beautiful, and the fish, especially the "Clown Loaches" love pushing the stones around while they grovel for tit-bits, even the Discus seem to play with the stones.
    I bought a "backing" showing a "planted background" and I reckon it does give the tank more depth, or 3D view,
    besides, the pipeworks and cables don't look all that nice behind the tank. Many years ago, I had a huge tank, 2,4m x .8m x.7m High, and I glazed the back wall with a mirror, I quite liked it, definitely gave a view of "looking for ever into the distance", the only fish that had a "hard time" was my Siamese fighters, they kept battling with themselves.

17. banjo

banjo Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Hi STRiDER,

Great looking tank... with regards to a background... I have found that having a plain black background works best. I stand to be corrected ... In my personal opinion, I think it looks great ... I tried the plant background and it just didn't do it for me. So I suppose it all comes down to personal preference.

Looking forward to seeing more pictures.

18. Pedro

Pedro Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Hi STRiDER,

I agree with Banjo on that one... Black background is the bomb!

PS: Nice looking setup :thumb:

19. STRiDER

STRiDER Noob

• APSA Member
    80%